News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Hmmm. I wouldn't know for sure. But I think being publicly humiliated in front of millions and millions of fans on live TV by his coach last year might have something to do with it...
I don't buy that.
However, if that was the case, then I wouldn't deem him fit to play in Montreal's pressure cooker and it would be a pass for me.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don't buy that.
However, if that was the case, then I wouldn't deem him fit to play in Montreal's pressure cooker and it would be a pass for me.

This is after two periods and a 1-0 lead. The man can be nuts sometimes.

Right before the start of the third period, cameras zoomed in on the Blue Jackets bench and caught Tortorella screaming in the face of Pierre-Luc Dubois for a solid five seconds as Dubois sat stone-faced.

Tortorella’s frustration with his top-line centre — which probably mirrored the frustration level that Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe felt with Mitch Marner and John Tavares in Game 1 — was to be expected. Up until that point, the Leafs were leading 1-0 after two periods.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Again, no thanks..

We are pretty much up against the cap and it's gonna cost a cost controlled young center to get a guy who hasn't had more than one season demonstrably better than Suzuki's debut.
I mean Dubois D+3 is pretty easily better than Suzuki's D+3. Dubois had nobody to play with there this past season.

I would be hesitant to give up Suzuki, but Kotkaniemi I'm fine with.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

According to Friedman, the Habs and Jets are two teams really pursuing Dubois. He does say that other teams are also interested, but they're not receiving a lot of attention:

ErjO65yWMAE5x5q

This shouldn't suprise anyone id be more suprised if we weren't trying to get him.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
This shouldn't suprise anyone id be more suprised if we weren't trying to get him.

Bergevin told Sportsnet he doesn't negotiate or spend time on cases where the other GM tells him, 'you don't have the pieces I would want back' and he's been reported to be in on Dubois for a while now. So Jarmo probably likes one of KK or Suzuki.

It would break chemistry, reek of PR again and add to our cap troubles on the short term.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
This is after two periods and a 1-0 lead. The man can be nuts sometimes.

Right before the start of the third period, cameras zoomed in on the Blue Jackets bench and caught Tortorella screaming in the face of Pierre-Luc Dubois for a solid five seconds as Dubois sat stone-faced.

Tortorella’s frustration with his top-line centre — which probably mirrored the frustration level that Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe felt with Mitch Marner and John Tavares in Game 1 — was to be expected. Up until that point, the Leafs were leading 1-0 after two periods.
Yes, I recall the incident. However, those are things that can be resolved internally, without going out publicly asking to get traded.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Yes, I recall the incident. However, those are things that can be resolved internally, without going out publicly asking to get traded.

Depends on player personality I guess. "A bigger stage" were words reported on his wish for a trade destination. Torts is not for everybody.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't buy that.

Man... get real. What Tortorella has done that night is never, never, never happening. The last time something similar happened was with Page and Sundin with the Nordiques. And very seldom does it get resolved internally without a trade.

There's the whole contract negociation too that didn't go so well. And it's not the first time Kekalainen is going into negociations with his players the hard way. Just ask Josh Anderson.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Man... get real. What Tortorella has done that night is never, never, never happening. The last time something similar happened was with Page and Sundin with the Nordiques. And very seldom does it get resolved internally without a trade.

There's the whole contract negociation too that didn't go so well. And it's not the first time Kekalainen is going into negociations with his players the hard way. Just ask Josh Anderson.
So the coach blew a gasket. Cry me a river. Dubois knows very well how intense Tortorella can be, and we must give credit to Tortorella for getting that team to perform the way they were. On paper, they were not a playoff team.
Again, it is not in itself a good enough reason to ask to be traded publicly.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Let's just spam the forum with how PLD isnt that good and that he's only worth Poehling and a 2nd.

PLD is basically what we hope.KK will be, so why not trade KK ++ and get thar version.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I cant see the habs trading for dubois during the season. Dubois will need to quarantine for 2 weeks, so that means for 2 weeks we wont have Dubois nor the roster players we traded him for.
That would be a big handicap to winning games and hurt our chances of making the playoffs

If im not mistaking, quaratine is 7 days, not
14. But it still would hurt to loose the players we would have to give to get PLD and not having him in the lineup for 4-5 games.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
If we were to acquire Dubios with out giving up KK or Suzi one of the 3 would have to be converted to a wing IMO.
That’s what I’m thinking. None of them are bottom 6 guys and it would be an absolute waste to leave them there.

I don’t see KK as a winger I think he sticks. It might be Suzuki, I’m really not sure. They’re all legit centres but Suzuki has experience on the wing.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I can see us trading KK for PLD considering Dubois is a similar player but proven at this point, but I don't know if the Blue Jackets would bite.

Kekalainen hasn't been big on going after his countrymen, probably doesn't want to give the wrong idea.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Drouin+Danault+Caufield

Doubt anything happens. Personally wouldn't accept any trade offer from Montreal without Kotkaniemi or Suzuki if I were their GM.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Jarmo - MB
Finland - Quebec
KK - PLD
Pat Brisson
Anderson / Domi
3rd OA / 3rd OA

Won’t happen, but there are dots to connect.

Reactions: Kimota

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Drouin+Danault+Caufield

Doubt anything happens. Personally wouldn't accept any trade offer from Montreal without Kotkaniemi or Suzuki if I were their GM.

As much as I think Kotka is going to be a good player, I wouldn't mind including him in a deal for Dubois.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Again, no thanks..

We are pretty much up against the cap and it's gonna cost a cost controlled young center to get a guy who hasn't had more than one season demonstrably better than Suzuki's debut.

The facts don't agree. All three of PLD's seasons have been demonstrably more productive than Suzuki's one. And PLD is only one year older.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
* I'd do Suzuki for PLD straight up. However, it screws up our cap cause Suzuki is on his ELC for two more years. So this one falls through with me.

* Obviously we would do Danault (sign/trade), plus a shit load of futures. Pieces like Caufield, Poehling, Norlinder, Guhle, 1st round picks would all be on the table.

* PLD for KK is interesting but I'd hate to trade Kotkaniemi at this stage. Maybe we wait for the first 15 games to give both the Blue Jackets and Habs time to evaluate Kotkaniemi. Then we have a 6 game break and that's the right time to make that move.

Honestly, I hope that PLD does not get traded this season and we circle back in the off season. But Danault with extension plus futures would be unreal

If the Jets are looking at Laine for PLD... I don't think we can touch that. All we can hope for is PLD gives them trouble on his next contract and wants a fast ticket to UFA. Maybe the Jets would be concerned about that.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Jarmo - MB
Finland - Quebec
KK - PLD
Pat Brisson
Anderson / Domi
3rd OA / 3rd OA

Won’t happen, but there are dots to connect.
I believed Jarmo would selected Puljujarvi instead of PLD at the draft because he was finish. No he took PLD. Haha.they were shock in finland but finally that was the right move to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad