News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
OK to be clear about this "timing" thing I mentioned

The season starts tomorrow. Like .. Demain.
That doesn’t preclude a trade as not having the assets would. It’s just inconvenient.

They have a 5th line of NHL’ers to fill the holes for the week.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The facts don't agree. All three of PLD's seasons have been demonstrably more productive than Suzuki's one. And PLD is only one year older.

48 in 82 and 49 in 70 (year 3 in NHL) is demonstrably more productive than 41 in 71 in year 1? 41 in 71 literally prorates to 47.56.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Data point: as much as people associate Jarmo w Scandinavians, CBJ have 12-Americans on their roster, mid-Western hockey players tend to like coming back to the region, think of all mid-West UFAs or Jets players who like being a shorty drive from Minny.

Poehling & Caufield would be “home” in Ohio, just saying...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So the coach blew a gasket. Cry me a river. Dubois knows very well how intense Tortorella can be, and we must give credit to Tortorella for getting that team to perform the way they were. On paper, they were not a playoff team.
Again, it is not in itself a good enough reason to ask to be traded publicly.

When exactly did Dubois come forward and told the media by himself he asked to be traded. There was a leak, and it's not necessarily on the player. You have absolutely no idea who leaked the information. At this point it could be anyone in the league.

Reactions: dralaf

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Data point: as much as people associate Jarmo w Scandinavians, CBJ have 12-Americans on their roster, mid-Western hockey players tend to like coming back to the region, think of all mid-West UFAs or Jets players who like being a shorty drive from Minny.

Poehling & Caufield would be “home” in Ohio, just saying...

Finland isn't a Scandinavian country.

Reactions: salbutera

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Anyone who wouldn't trade anyone not named Suzuki is making a huge mistake

You seem so sure that Suzuki will be better than Kk down the road....you are not alone but.

I am not sure about that.

Kk did 34 points at...18 years old..only...

Suzuki did 41 points..at 20..

Think about that...Kk now at 20 years old and 5 months...has the same age than Suzuki when he played his first NHL game last season.

At 23,24 years old..Kk could be the best of those 2 easily...and you know what..he could be better than PLD as well

Reactions: aresknights

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Is this a real thing, or just what everyone says after drafting Dubois instead of Puljujarvi, which turned out to be astute scouting, no? What other Finns has he turned down or away from?

It's all speculation as we are never going to know what goes on in his head but it's not just passing on Puljujarvi, even in later rounds for a team that does not shy away from scouting Europe for off the board picks, they don't seem to make Finland a priority even compared to less Europe friendly sides - they signed old man Koivu now but otherwise they seem more Swede and Russian friendly.

I don't think JK would pass on our JK for the right package necessarily, but he's likely to play hardball. My assumption is Suzuki would be more appealing for a team that lacks high end offense, although I also don't think Bergevin would part with Suzuki as easily.

Reactions: McTusk

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's definitely a gamble, but I'd trade KK for Dubois. Not much more, though. The french factor necessarily plays a role in Mtl, the fans would be extatic.

They have to do their due diligence and make sure he has more drive in him than Drouin, though. But that's not hard to beat

Reactions: Sterling Archer

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Anyone who wouldn't trade anyone not named Suzuki is making a huge mistake

A huge mistake....until KK goes on a tear & everyone start doubting on trading KK and drop the ‘what have you done for me lately’ syndrom.

You trade KK for Dubois if you think KK won’t be able to play above Dubois’ level. NOT because Dubois is more proven now after 2-3 years in the league, too early in their respective career. Being short sighted is too risky even if Dubois is French Canadian.

Would you have said that before Suzuki’s last season? I don’t think so.

I may be in the minority & I said it earlier, but in the next 5-6 years, I strongly believe KK will be a better player than Dubois so I wouldn’t trade him.

I love Dubois & he’s already a great player, not a knock on him. I’d kill to get him on the team but not for Suzuki, KK or Romanov. Everyone else is on the table though even if it’s probably not enticing enough which I understand.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
These always have me conflicted. Let's say hypothetically Suzuki is your one untouchable.

On the one hand, Dubois is really good. You hope KK can turn into what Dubois showed he could do last playoffs, but isn't there yet. If you could go back and trade a package around Poehling into Ryan Oreilly (like was rumored at the time) would you? I think a lot of people here would, but were against it at the time.

On the other hand, if we trade away KK and he becomes better than Suzuki AND Dubois, we have to hear about it for the next 20-30 years or until we win another cup.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
48 in 82 and 49 in 70 (year 3 in NHL) is demonstrably more productive than 41 in 71 in year 1? 41 in 71 literally prorates to 47.56.
And Suzuki basically had 48 points in 81 games including the playoffs. I like Dubois but I feel like he's getting a bit overrated here. I would hold on to KK and Suzuki.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Yes, you did the math yourself. PLD has a higher ppg and higher total points in all three of his seasons than Suzuki's one. That is simply a fact. And the closest comparison (the one you make in the quote above) is PLD's 19 year old season vs Suzuki's 20 year old season. So even though the numbers are close (IF you prorate them), PLD did it at a younger age.

How their careers will compare from here on out is anyone's guess, and I'd be very reluctant to give up Suzuki in a deal for PLD because he's shown some glimpses of offensive patience, instincts, and vision that I haven't seen on the Habs since...well, I don't even have a decent comparable (that's how long its been). But the numbers to this point don't lie.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

According to Friedman, the Habs and Jets are two teams really pursuing Dubois. He does say that other teams are also interested, but they're not receiving a lot of attention:

ErjO65yWMAE5x5q

Seriously? Give KK and Drouin plus a pick. Add more if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad