News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If we can grab Blade Jenkins or Ryan O'Reilly from this year's draft at Washington's spot then in a few years the Eller trade might not look so bad.

Right now Ikonen looks pretty average. He's got a lot to work on as far as skating and strength go.

People are pissed because the two seconds we gave to Chicago for Shaw were really high AND in the same draft year. Washington's are much lower.

It makes a difference to draft in the top 50.

However we got a bit of a break this year. This draft is pretty deep through the top 75, so we might actually get a good prospect with Washington's pick.

But they still won't get here as quickly as Debrincat & Girard did.

The general impression I'm getting is neither OReilly or Jenkins are second round considerations. Mid round guys.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The general impression I'm getting is neither OReilly or Jenkins are second round considerations. Mid round guys.

Jenkins seems to be ranked early 3rd-ish (around 70) so if Habs want him then #62 isn't much of a reach. They seem to like him.

In any case, it's a deep enough draft we could actually get a good prospect with that Washington pick.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well Islanders just hired an asst GM : Steve Pellegrini

So Mark Hunter is not going there......

Ontario scout fired might just be this reason....lol

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
As I mentioned:

MacKenzie may have been faulty information, but Friedman generally does not talk out of his ass. .
Well, it looks like he is talking out his ass this off season. This week he thinks the Habs are interested in JJ. Last week Habs' ownership told management to go after picks and prospects i.e. a rebuild. Friedman may just be stealing a few pages out of Eklund's play book and not even correcting the scores of typos.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Why would he not be with the Leaf if he is going to have the same role with us?

There is no GM spots open that i see.....and he was miffed with TO ..so why stay there?

NYI just hired a new GM ,that jobs gone.....possibility eliminated

So while you wait for a GM spot to open and someone to call which may never happen elsewhere...yeah you take a asst job closer to home .....next year 2019 or in 2020 if someone wants to hire you as GM while you're asst of another club? then you leave...done all the time....look at Nashville's asst Gm..he just left....

and many here hope Tampa Bay asst GM will be leaving this year also right after Christmas or spring..lol

Montreal to London just a drive on the highway for Hunter...

Last edited:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Perhaps he just didn't want to work under the new GM too, I'd assume there's more to it than just not getting the GM position. I don't care either way, but just throwing that out there due to your black or white response.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Relax people, its the preseason!
j696Ek6.gif

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I get the hate-on for JJ but there is only one other decent LD available via free agency and that is DeHaan. And he will likely cash in because of the limited market.
The top LD position will need to be filled in via trade otherwise.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Its unfortunate Bergy was completely blindsided by Markovs aging.

There was just no way to see this coming 6 yrs ago. Who woulda guessed there would be a major hole on LD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It was reported that if he wasn't going to get the job, he'd want out. And he did just that.

He could stand to gain by notching a few more assistant GM years to his resume and then be a candidate for a GM opening with any team, down the line.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get the hate-on for JJ but there is only one other decent LD available via free agency and that is DeHaan. And he will likely cash in because of the limited market.
The top LD position will need to be filled in via trade otherwise.

Lack Free Agency options isn't an excuse for badly overpaying guys. Lack of Free Agency options is why free agents get overpaid, especially since a lot of GMs don't know how to properly value players.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
True....I admit some of the ridicule is merited, and Tavares alone is not enough, it would plug 1 of 4 major holes on this team....#3 pick should plug #2.....he’s gonna have to get creative with the other 2.

Can’t wait for the end of the month :)
I count 3 major holes: center 1, center 2, left PMD. What is your 4th? The one in MB's head?

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad