News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That makes me feel slight better. That being said, I think Friedman is very good, so the fact that the Habs are tied to Johnson still makes me jittery. He should only be signed to a "show me you're still good" contract.
Here is Bob MacKenzie's quote word for word

Bob MacKenzie "I'm not sure what the market will command for Jackson Johnson but you gotta think that any Dman like that, that goes to free agency is going to expect to get, you know...in the neighborhood of 6 million dollars, give or take 1 million...and whether Montreal makes sense for him (Jack Johnson) and vice versa, certainly remains to seen, but there's no question the Canadiens are looking to bolster their blueline".

As for Friedman...the only thing he said is that he expects the Montreal Canadiens to be a stealth destination for Jack Johnson. He didn't provide anymore context than that, given that these are HIS 31 thoughts, this to me sounds more like a guesstimate, than an inside scoop.

And this thought by Friedman, is what prompted one of the 690 hosts to ask MacKenzie about Jack Johnson and the Habs...

There's absolutely nothing linking the Habs and Jack Johnson other than some obscure thought from Elliot Friedman...and there's ZERO link to the Habs wanting Johnson at 6M.

Reactions: Habsddicted

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The comments after I posted that?

Or the tweet from TSN's top insider to go along Sportsnet's top insider that linked the Habs to Johnson?
The ONLY link to Jack Johnson and the Montreal Canadiens is 1 of 31 thoughts from Eliott Friedman saying

"I do think Montreal is a stealth destination for unrestricted free agent to be Jack Johnson"

That's literally it...

Is that enough to justify the Habs and Johnson being linked? That one thought has morphed into the Habs wanting JJ @ 6M a year and Bob MacKenize confirming it.

I mean come on man...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Bob MacKenzie "I'm not sure what the market will command for Jackson Johnson but you gotta think that any Dman like that, that goes to free agency is going to expect to get, you know...in the neighborhood of 6 million dollars, give or take 1 million...and whether Montreal makes sense for him (Jack Johnson) and vice versa, certainly remains to seen, but there's no question the Canadiens are looking to bolster their blueline".

As for Friedman...the only thing he said is that he expects the Montreal Canadiens to be a stealth destination for Jack Johnson. He didn't provide anymore context than that, given that these are HIS 31 thoughts, this to me sounds more like a guesstimate, than an inside scoop.

And this thought by Friedman, is what prompted one of the 690 hosts to ask MacKenzie about Jack Johnson and the Habs...

There's absolutely nothing linking the Habs and Jack Johnson other than some obscure thought from Elliot Friedman...and there's ZERO link to the Habs wanting Johnson at 6M.
Sure, but I remember similar high level linking happening last year between Alzner and the Habs and lo and behold....

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

Sorry to interrupt, but by bolded part he meant a top4 guy, because "he played top4 minutes in Cbus", but then he can't explain why he didn't play those minutes anymore, didn't mention benching at all.
So basically BobyMac expect JJ to get 6M because he thinks that he's a Top4 guy, because he played top4 minutes in Cbus at some time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure, but I remember similar high level linking happening last year between Alzner and the Habs and lo and behold....
The Habs may indeed sign Jack Johnson...who knows.

But MacKenzie didn't confirm any interest, that's simply not true...

This is purely confirmation bias at play.

Reactions: Laurentide

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The Habs may indeed sign Jack Johnson...who knows.

But MacKenzie didn't confirm any interest, that's simply not true...

This is purely confirmation bias at play.
Maybe, but the hypothetical possibility is still something I'd rather not hear.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sorry to interrupt, but by bolded part he meant a top4 guy, because "he played top4 minutes in Cbus", but then he can't explain why he didn't play those minutes anymore, didn't mention benching at all.
So basically BobyMac expect JJ to get 6M because he thinks that he's a Top4 guy, because he played top4 minutes in Cbus at some time.
Exactly...it was just a guesstimate and I don't think he put much thought into it.

It's nothing more than that at this point.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe, but the hypothetical possibility is still something I'd rather not hear.
We were hypothetically linked to John Tavares...does anyone actually believe he's going to sign here?

Of course not, it's brushed off...but a hypothetical link to Jack Johnson?

Let's take that to church!

Sorry man, not going @ you here...but this is kind of ridiculous.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Have to say that a potential D like that risks having the better D just struggling to keep their pairing borderline respectable. At least the 3rd pairing would be inexpensive ;)
No more Benn please. That experiment needs to end.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
We were hypothetically linked to John Tavares...does anyone actually believe he's going to sign here?

Of course not, it's brushed off...but a hypothetical link to Jack Johnson?

Let's take that to church!

Sorry man, not going @ you here...but this is kind of ridiculous.
dude, we're just discussing. You're being nitpicky here. Friedman is well connected, he put out an idea into the ether, whether that idea was qualified with "I think" or not, Friedman usually doesn't spew nonsense, so if he says something, it's usually because there is some smoke.

Also, we went through the same exact thing with Alzner last year, where it was just speculation from analysts to an eventual concrete signing within minutes of free agency.

If Johnson is on the radar, it's damn baffling. Whether he is in actual fact in the radar, does not preclude from offering my opinion on the potentiality of this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
dude, we're just discussing. You're being nitpicky here. Friedman is well connected, he put out an idea into the ether, whether that idea was qualified with "I think" or not, Friedman usually doesn't spew nonsense, so if he says something, it's usually because there is some smoke.

Also, we went through the same exact thing with Alzner last year, where it was just speculation from analysts to an eventual concrete signing within minutes of free agency.

If Johnson is on the radar, it's damn baffling. Whether he is in actual fact in the radar, does not preclude from offering my opinion on the potentiality of this.
I'm not being nitpicky...and this is not discussion based on a hypothetical, it's a discussed based on confirmation bias.

It's people putting 2 and 2 together, on their own, then passing it off as fact...even look at that tweet posted earlier where he says that MacKenzie is saying the Habs are interested in Johnson.

Discussing Friedman's thought is fine...but saying that MacKenzie confirmed Habs interest in JJ is simply not true.

I mean, if you like to discuss things based on faulty information...I suppose that's your prerogative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm not being nitpicky...this is not discussion.

It's people putting 2 and 2 together, on their own, then passing it off as fact...even look at that tweet posted earlier where he says that MacKenzie is saying the Habs are interested in Johnson.

Discussing Friedman's thought is fine...but saying that MacKenzie confirmed Habs interest in JJ is simply not true.

I mean, if you like to discuss things based on faulty information...I suppose that's your prerogative.

As I mentioned:

That makes me feel slight better. That being said, I think Friedman is very good, so the fact that the Habs are tied to Johnson still makes me jittery. He should only be signed to a "show me you're still good" contract.

MacKenzie may have been faulty information, but Friedman generally does not talk out of his ass. So if he is linking Johnson to the Habs, even with the added qualifier of "I think", I generally trust that it comes from somewhere rather than ex nihilo.

So while I can now bracket MacKenzie's side, until Friedman's side is clarified by him to the same extent, I will offer my opinion on his speculation as his speculation seldom comes from nowhere.

You do this type of shit every damn off season. If people speculating based off other speculation bothers you, then maybe these threads aren't for you. Stop being goddamn pissy pants every damn off-season.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MacKenzie may have been faulty information, but Friedman generally does not talk out of his ass. So if he is linking Johnson to the Habs, even with the added qualifier of "I think", I generally trust that it comes from somewhere rather than ex nihilo.

So while I can now bracket MacKenzie's side, until Friedman's side is clarified by him to the same extent, I will offer my opinion on his speculation as his speculation seldom comes from nowhere.
But even if we're to remove MacKenzie from this hypothetical...let's say Friedman's comment has some legs to it.

He didn't mention salary or term...he just said that he sees the Habs as a stealth destination.

What if he IS signed to a "show me you're still good" type of contract as you alluded too...

Is that so bad?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
But even if we're to remove MacKenzie from this hypothetical...let's say Friedman's comment has some legs to it.

He didn't mention salary or term...he just said that he sees the Habs as a stealth destination.

What if he IS signed to a "show me you're still good" type of contract as you alluded too...

Is that so bad?
No, I'm okay if he is signed to a show me contract - well see last sentence of this post.. But considering Johnson's personal financial troubles, dude can't really take on a show me contract right now. I don't want to be the team that gambles long term on him. As for what Johnson wants, it isn't clear at the moment, but again, his personal financial trouble suggests that he will go for a contract that provides him monetary security for a few years.

I wouldn't commit to Johnson for more than 1 year at more 2-3 million. Even at that, if the Habs intent is to rebuild, then he really isn't needed at all, even on a show me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You do this type of **** every damn off season. If people speculating based off other speculation bothers you, then maybe these threads aren't for you. Stop being goddamn pissy pants every damn off-season.
First of all...this comment isn't necessary. I haven't been pissy, i've clarified comments by Bob MacKenzie because words are being attributed to him which he did not say.

Secondly...I don't mind speculation, I participate in it everyday...But Bob MacKenzie did NOT speculate or even hint at the Habs and Jack Johnson coming together on a contract in free agency.

What I do mind, is people fabricating things that were never said and then passing it off as fact.

Friedman has linked the Habs to John Tavares...I suppose you're not going to participate in a discussion with me about how likely it is John Tavares is going to be a Hab July 1st right?

Reactions: jaffy27

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Friedman has linked the Habs to John Tavares...I suppose you're not going to participate in a discussion with me about how likely it is John Tavares is going to be a Hab July 1st right?
I will. I think the Habs will make a pitch, because quite frankly, they'd be foolish not to bring such high level talent in at the cost of cap space. However, consider JT wants to win and apparently wants to be in a low key media environment, I'm not very hopeful that he will be on board with the Habs.

Don't doubt for a second the Habs will try to bring him in.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, I'm okay if he is signed to a show me contract - well see last sentence of this post.. But considering Johnson's personal financial troubles, dude can't really take on a show me contract right now.
His personal financial troubles, from 4yrs ago mind you, really will have nothing to do with the type of contract he's going to sign. It's not like he can recoup the money his folks stole from him. NHL teams aren't into the business of reparations.

He'll get paid what he's worth...not what his parents embezzled.

I don't want to be the team that gambles long term on him. As for what Johnson wants, it isn't clear at the moment, but again, his personal financial trouble suggests that he will go for a contract that provides him monetary security for a few years.
Well apparently, Bob MacKenzie has declared he wants 6M per year...didn't you hear? You commented on it earlier, perhaps if it wasn't for me clearing that up for you and being "a pissy pants" in the process, you'd think that was actually true.

But maybe that's on me...people being misquoted is a pet peeve of mine.

#fakenews

I wouldn't commit to Johnson for more than 1 year at more 2-3 million. Even at that, if the Habs intent is to rebuild, then he really isn't needed at all, even on a show me.
I don't personally have an interest for Jack Johnson and I don't think the Habs do either...

He's a left handed Dman and a free agent...that's the only reason were even discussing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad