News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Friedman and Bobby Mac can get away with speculating about Johnson going to the Habs because they know Bergevin well enough to know that this is the exact type of overpriced, desperate gamble he would take in order to save his job. It's the same reason why so many expect him to blow a wad of money on Bozek or Stastny or why he may end up taking Tkachuk with the 3rd overall pick because "attitude". It's just so "him" to do stupid s*** like this.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I will. I think the Habs will make a pitch, because quite frankly, they'd be foolish not to bring such high level talent in at the cost of cap space. However, consider JT wants to win and apparently wants to be in a low key media environment, I'm not very hopeful that he will be on board with the Habs.

Don't doubt for a second the Habs will try to bring him in.
Not saying you're lying here...but where did you hear/read this?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Friedman and Bobby Mac can get away with speculating about Johnson going to the Habs because they know Bergevin well enough to know that this is the exact type of overpriced, desperate gamble he would take in order to save his job. It's the same reason why so many expect him to blow a wad of money on Bozek or Stastny or why he may end up taking Tkachuk with the 3rd overall pick because "attitude". It's just so "him" to do stupid s*** like this.
Between Lucic, Johnson, Bozak, Perry and Tkachuk...

I'm not sure the Habs will be able to afford all of them lol

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not saying you're lying here...but where did you hear/read this?
I don't remember, I don't keep a spreadsheet everything an insider or well respected analyst says. I only follow legit sources on Twitter, read it one day, stored the info somewhere in my brain and don't remember who said it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't remember, I don't keep a spreadsheet everything an insider or well respected analyst says. I only follow legit sources on Twitter, read it one day, stored the info somewhere in my brain and don't remember who said it.
lol man...whose pissy here?

I just asked about something cause I obviously missed that. I wasn't expecting you to have the information stored on a spreadsheet.

Jeez...it's all good man.

Next time people are misquoting insiders, i'll just let y'all live in blissful ignorance.

Cheers

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I posted this in the Out of Town thread, but I also put it here because it may have some connection to Mark Hunter. Looks like both Assistant GM spots are taken in Islanders. With rumours Mark Hunter would be following Lou and possibly succeeding him there, it probably won't be happening.

In the Montreal Off-Season thread, i said that with the Ontario scout being fired this past weekend, I would hire Hunter, let him go back to run day-to-day operations with the London Knights like he was before with his brother and at the same time, serve as Habs' Ontario scout. Just a thought.

Reactions: Habs100

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

I know that he and his fiancé love NYC. They'd also welcome a move back to the GTA. Both big media markets.

My guess is NYR.
.... and before anyone mentions 'rebuild', management only mentioned a reshaping of their team, not a rebuild. The letter was just a warning before the trades (Nash, McDo, etc).

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I can see $6M as two years.

McGuire sees Jack Johnson as either a 4 or an elite 5. Says he's no longer an elite force, but he can still skate.

But, McGuire was big on Alzner. He said it would be a great signing, but Alzner wouldn't want to come to a team like Montreal. He said even though he's not the fastest skater, he knows how to position himself and get to the right areas and therefore he's quick. lol.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
McGuire sees Jack Johnson as either a 4 or an elite 5. Says he's no longer an elite force, but he can still skate.

But, McGuire was big on Alzner. He said it would be a great signing, but Alzner wouldn't want to come to a team like Montreal. He said even though he's not the fastest skater, he knows how to position himself and get to the right areas and therefore he's quick. lol.

Hmm that's exactly what he said about Karl Alzner lol

How many of these borderline 3rd pairing guys can you honestly afford to sign to these inflated contracts before you look yourself in the mirror and admit you suck at being a GM.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

McGuire also said Beau after a season with Hously in BUF would be as good as Nash big 4.

Not sure how much I would trust PM's assesments of D men.

Reactions: Habs100

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I posted this in the Out of Town thread, but I also put it here because it may have some connection to Mark Hunter. Looks like both Assistant GM spots are taken in Islanders. With rumours Mark Hunter would be following Lou and possibly succeeding him there, it probably won't be happening.

In the Montreal Off-Season thread, i said that with the Ontario scout being fired this past weekend, I would hire Hunter, let him go back to run day-to-day operations with the London Knights like he was before with his brother and at the same time, serve as Habs' Ontario scout. Just a thought.

Lou is not going to hire Hunter who could leapfrog over his own son. At least, that's what it reeks of ... err, I mean looks like.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We were hypothetically linked to John Tavares...does anyone actually believe he's going to sign here?

Of course not, it's brushed off...but a hypothetical link to Jack Johnson?

Let's take that to church!

Sorry man, not going @ you here...but this is kind of ridiculous.
It’s ammunition for the ridicule.....watch, if we sign Tavares, there’s a few bozos here that’ll dig up some negative from 4yrs ago or bring up the fact that he didn’t finish high school.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s ammunition for the ridicule.....watch, if we sign Tavares, there’s a few bozos here that’ll dig up some negative from 4yrs ago or bring up the fact that he didn’t finish high school.

The only things I could see brought up is how Tavares alone is not enough, there are still too many holes. And probably his salary is going to irk some.

But, other than that -- it would resolve a longstanding issue.

Reactions: jaffy27

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Bergevin indeed were to sign Johnson for ~$6M he'll lose his Disaster Artist status and move directly to FEEA. Franchise Extinction Event Artist. That's HOF destruction level, and he's easily capable of it.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The only things I could see brought up is how Tavares alone is not enough, there are still too many holes. And probably his salary is going to irk some.

But, other than that -- it would resolve a longstanding issue.
True....I admit some of the ridicule is merited, and Tavares alone is not enough, it would plug 1 of 4 major holes on this team....#3 pick should plug #2.....he’s gonna have to get creative with the other 2.

Can’t wait for the end of the month :)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
True....I admit some of the ridicule is merited, and Tavares alone is not enough, it would plug 1 of 4 major holes on this team....#3 pick should plug #2.....he’s gonna have to get creative with the other 2.

Can’t wait for the end of the month :)

We're going to find out at the end of the month if your world class patience has run out finally. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad