Sportsnet: Friedman: "You can see he's unhappy, and you can see he and Dubas have different philosophies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
And prior to that when Dubas was the big wheel at Brock University (a 70% HS average gets you in there if I recall?), Babcock was winning gold medals and a Cup.

Sorry but you'll never win the credibility argument here.

Sick Marlies team though! :laugh:
bolded is not true it is extremely hard to get into Brock's accounting program and their stats program is competitive as well

RLF

May 5, 2014
Honestly, I really don't care about the 2024/2025 season. We could be hit be an asteroid by then.
Lol. That is an interesting take for sure. Leafs should just sign all players to 1 year contracts then , no use in long term cause that asteroid could hit anytime.;)

I notice you didn't answer which contract you would rather have though as a GM. McDavid's or Matthews.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Regarding the minor league stuff, since Dubas took over the Marlies, he started doing things no other AHL club had ever done before. And since he took over GM for the Leafs, it has accelerated all the way down to the ECHL. He is doing stuff (now with Gilman doing his bidding) that has NEVER been done before.

What things has Dubas done with the Marlies that no other club has done before?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dubas will get Manager of the Year this year.
As voted by the NHLPA and Agents of the NHL.
There is a great way to figure out what is the truth here about the Nylander and Matthews contracts. Sentiment around the league, from executives and agents alike. Everything that was reported or heard supports the over payment argument.

The Nylander contract is the new template for agents and RFA's, never has a player in that situation extracted so much, with NO leverage. Matthews less surprising, in the aftermath. The verdict around the league is quite clear, if there are stragglers on here who need to continually argue otherwise, have at it, but it doesn't really resonate in the "real world" from what I've gleamed.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
friedman also said nylander would never play another game in a leafs jersey after this season, AND that he’ll be gone before the draft.

so i think we can say he is making things up.
I am of this opinion as well, I would've let Nylander sit rather then hand him that poor excuse of a contract

Reactions: MyBudJT

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
There is a great way to figure out what is the truth here about the Nylander and Matthews contracts. Sentiment around the league, from executives and agents alike. Everything that was reported or heard supports the over payment argument.

The Nylander contract is the new template for agents and RFA's, never has a player in that situation extracted so much, with NO leverage. Matthews less surprising, in the aftermath. The verdict around the league is quite clear, if there are stragglers on here who need to continually argue otherwise, have at it, but it doesn't really resonate in the "real world" from what I've gleamed.

If Nylander was the template for RFAs, why was Teravainen so easy to sign for the Canes at 5.4 mil for 5 years?

They'll probably sign Aho for 1 to 2 million less than Matthew's too....

Having talent is one thing. Overpaying for it is another

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I'm not even convinced Nylander a contract set a new template for RFAs.... For our RFAs, yes.... But I wouldn't be surprised to see most other GMs sign their RFAs to the 'old' template

Reactions: socko

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not even convinced Nylander a contract set a new template for RFAs.... For our RFAs, yes.... But I wouldn't be surprised to see most other GMs sign their RFAs to the 'old' template
It will be the template for agents that's for sure.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

Nylander really had no leverage at all. There isn't a GM alive that was going to offer sheet him at his ask and give up multiple first round picks. At least with Matthews, who is also overpaid, you can argue an offer sheet was at least a semi-realistic possibility.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nylander really had no leverage at all. There isn't a GM alive that was going to offer sheet him at his ask and give up multiple first round picks. At least with Matthews, who is also overpaid, you can argue an offer sheet was at least a semi-realistic possibility.
And let's not forget, there was ample talk on here Carolina and Philly had contacted Willie's agent and both didn't like their numbers, backed off.

Reactions: diceman934

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And let's not forget, there was ample talk on here Carolina and Philly had contacted Willie's agent and both didn't like their numbers, backed off.
I remember Carolina being very interested in his salary demands, but not our asking price for a player return

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And, Dubas is paid million's of dollars to adapt. You can't say Lou is at fault for not signing Marner and Matthews in July. That is on Dubas solely. Plus, you really think Willy isn't signing for 7 mil on December 1st if we sign Marner at 9? We don't have that window with Marner due to our current cap situation.
There is no way Marner and Matthews sign that early without a ridiculous overpay. The $9 million for Marner will still be on the table, albeit with a shorter term perhaps. Once it was known that Tavares and Marner would be playing together, that ended any hope of an early signing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
And yet, stunningly enough, Dubas hasn't come anywhere close to that level of success...

Nor will he with the way he's going so far.

Right so this team is not stacked and is more average than everyone seems to think. Thank you for acknowledging that.

With better players I expect better results too.

Also, lol
Uhhhhh....if it's a better team doing poorer than expected, isn't that 100% on the coach at that point?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think Friedman is a sham. He is rarely accurate in his predictions. This is a little different I guess.

If I had to say right now, I believe in Dubas' vision over Babcock. Babs is archaic in his employment of skill, and I think Dubas has put together winning teams at various levels of hockey now. Babs needs to get on Dubas' page imo.

Big part of the reason I am saying that is that I think our team could be way better than it is with this roster... if the game plan and deployment of players was managed differently.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Dubas did a good job with the minor leagues but it is an entirely different thjng being a GM in the NHL. He is out of his league dealing with contracts and other, perhaps more savvy, GMs. He is a minor league GM. Leave him in charge of the farm teams. Up here he looks like a confused little kid, especially when you see shots of him during the games.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Dubas has built arguably the best team in Leafs history this year on paper. The team literally has no holes. Two 1Cs, Norris caliber D, Vezina caliber goalie, etc.

Its like building a Ferrari and having a blind man drive it off a bridge and then blaming the car manufacturer.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dubas has built arguably the best team in Leafs history this year on paper. The team literally has no holes. Two 1Cs, Norris caliber D, Vezina caliber goalie, etc.

Its like building a Ferrari and having a blind man drive it off a bridge and then blaming the car manufacturer.
I wouldn't say that Dubas has built this. He inherited a large part of it, though he deserves partial credit for his time as AGM. He has brought in Tavares and Muzzin though, which really should be finishing touches.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Maybe, have a quote or anything to support it?
It was in the threads, it was discussed on Leafs Lunch, 1050, Dreger,Miller, etc.... I'm not bothering to wade through. Given that, you're free to dismiss my factually bereft comment :) And, I'm free to be entirely comfortable that other teams didn't like his numbers either.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

The Dube didn't build this team , he was handed a stacked team and added JT but to say it has no holes when looking at our rhd is false .

it's also funny how Babs went from being the best coach in the game last year albeit with a few detractors on this board to being among the worst coach's in the league because the Dube has to be above criticism

and for the people dreaming about Dube's boi Keefe replacing Babs , you should be careful what you wish for since if things go south the genius will be the one on the hot seat without a scapegoat to shift blame too

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The Dube didn't build this team , he was handed a stacked team and added JT but to say it has no holes when looking at our rhd is false .

it's also funny how Babs went from being the best coach in the game last year albeit with a few detractors on this board to being among the worst coach's in the league because the Dube has to be above criticism

and for the people dreaming about Dube's boi Keefe replacing Babs , you should be careful what you wish for since if things go south the genius will be the one on the hot seat without a scapegoat to shift blame too

He did add Muzzin too, who was a dominant top pair D on LA for many years, although he is a left-handed D.

I guess the idea was to shift Rielly to RHD where he's played a lot already, but Babs gave them a few periods together and then broke it up.

Now we have LHD Ron Hainsey as our top pair RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad