Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Holl
Marincin-Zaitsev
Hainsey

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
It all depends on the cost, if it is similar to the mcdonagh trade and was something like Sandin + Johnsson and a first I would hope that they pull the trigger. Adding a guy like Panarin to this group would make a much bigger impact then any defenseman rumored to be available (save Karlsson). With the excess cap space we have this year, we need to take advantage of it in the best possible way because who knows when the next time will be when we have space to add a rental star after this year.

Yup. With the luck the Leafs have, they will be winning one cup every 50 years.

It’s time to go all or nothing. Now or never. Do or die. Cup or bust.

I personally think they will win at least 2 but we shall see...

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The forward lines being tossed around in this topic are ridiculous in a good way. Every time I read them I laugh like a maniac.

But that’s the everyday reality that exists in Golden State Warriors. It’s a culture of winning and they are stacked like an All Star team.

I don’t see why that shouldn’t be the reality in the #1 market in the NHL, hands down we have the most loyal, passionate fans who are willing to pay top dollar to see and support a Stanley Cup winning team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only problem is that you are probably going to have to give up Liljegren, Brown, Kapanen/Johnsson and a 1st to get them to even consider it. Why the Leafs would do that for a one year guy they do not even need is beyond me.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
But that’s the everyday reality that exists in Golden State Warriors. It’s a culture of winning and they are stacked like an All Star team.

I don’t see why that shouldn’t be the reality in the #1 market in the NHL, hands down we have the most loyal, passionate fans who are willing to pay top dollar to see and support a Stanley Cup winning team.

Because in the NBA you’re able to retain talent while going over the cap due to the Larry Bird exception. It’s not about the market if you’re capped at the same dollar as everybody else.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The only problem is that you are probably going to have to give up Liljegren, Brown, Kapanen/Johnsson and a 1st to get them to even consider it. Why the Leafs would do that for a one year guy they do not even need is beyond me.

If that's the package, then I don't see why you don't make the trade.

Tavares-Panarin-Matthews-Marner-Nylander-Kadri as your top 6 players for one year? Take it and run. You will never in your life time be able to have that group of 6 together again because of the cap. Winning the cup has such low odds you can't always look at it as a 6-7 year thing. If a one year window opens up where you can have the best odds in the entire league, then you need to pull the trigger. The big 3 are young, the future will still be in good hands. We'll survive any package not including them for this once in a lifetime opportunity. Possession will be so high that our defencemen suddenly become sheltered. When we lose Panarin the year after, we're still a contender and setup for long term success. We can survive losing some of the assets you mentioned.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the cost is reasonable, Panarin would be an incredible addition. I'd roll:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Panarin-Tavares
-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Brown, Kapanen

Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Holl
Marincin-Zaitsev
Hainsey
Lol that’s so nasty. Three forwardpairings that would easily be the backbone of the top line on half the teams in the league

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
So what’s more likely to happen: Panarin or Parayko to the Leafs? Do you think Dubas will make any major moves before the season starts?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If that's the package, then I don't see why you don't make the trade.

Tavares-Panarin-Matthews-Marner-Nylander-Kadri as your top 6 players for one year? Take it and run. You will never in your life time be able to have that group of 6 together again because of the cap. Winning the cup has such low odds you can't always look at it as a 6-7 year thing. If a one year window opens up where you can have the best odds in the entire league, then you need to pull the trigger. The big 3 are young, the future will still be in good hands. We'll survive any package not including them for this once in a lifetime opportunity. Possession will be so high that our defencemen suddenly become sheltered. When we lose Panarin the year after, we're still a contender and setup for long term success. We can survive losing some of the assets you mentioned.
I would be appalled if we traded Liljegren straight up for one year of Panarin.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
What odds at a cup next year would you trade Liljegren straight up for? 50/50? 30%?
I'm not really sure how to answer that question - You trade players for other players, not for odds.

There isn't a single player in the world whose addition would guarantee a Stanley Cup victory in any given year. Considering Liljegren's abilities, age, potential, contract status, and position, I wouldn't give him up for any player that wasn't going to be here long-term.

Reactions: glue and The Cobra

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
What odds at a cup next year would you trade Liljegren straight up for? 50/50? 30%?
I'm not really sure how to answer that question - You trade players for other players, not for odds.

There isn't a single player in the world whose addition would guarantee a Stanley Cup victory in any given year. Considering Liljegren's abilities, age, potential, contract status, and position, I wouldn't give him up for any player that wasn't going to be here long-term.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

This is a very passive stance. Vegas already has us as no.1 favorites for the cup. When your odds are that high and you can get Panarin without touching your core, you make that trade. Any GM that wants a championship would.

Guys like Panarin don't become available. This off season is one big pile of luck for NHL teams. JT would never sniff UFA and come to his hometown team if he was in a better place than Long Island and Panarin is already locked up long term if he's any place other than Columbus or equivalent.

With that said, Liljegren + 1st can't get you Panarin for a whole season on a regular day, which makes it even more weird people aren't willing to let Lil go for Panarin. The cost in August/September will be at a premium for Panarin because a team get's him for a whole season. Don't undervalue the impact one year of a Superstar has on a team. Panarin can easily make a bubble team a playoff team. This guy will be our equivalent to Kuznetsov impact wise with the ability to out point Kuznetsov. Some people rank him higher than Kuznetsov and more into Kucherov level depending which article you read.

If Clb GM gives the green light on Lil + 1st, you make the trade. That top 9 will be historic and the odds of seeing a top 9 like that for any team ever again is close to 0 in a salary cap era.

If we don't win the cup then we don't win the cup. That's how the NHL is. You can have the best team ever seen but it doesn't guarantee a cup, which is why you never turn down the chance to make the team even better if you can survive the cost. Future is still bright if we lose Liljegren.

Reactions: The Cobra

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This is a very passive stance. Vegas already has us as no.1 favorites for the cup. When your odds are that high and you can get Panarin without touching your core, you make that trade. Any GM that wants a championship would.

Guys like Panarin don't become available. This off season is one big pile of luck for NHL teams. JT would never sniff UFA and come to his hometown team if he was in a better place than Long Island and Panarin is already locked up long term if he's any place other than Columbus or equivalent.

With that said, Liljegren + 1st can't get you Panarin for a whole season on a regular day, which makes it even more weird people aren't willing to let Lil go for Panarin. The cost in August/September will be at a premium for Panarin because a team get's him for a whole season. Don't undervalue the impact one year of a Superstar has on a team. Panarin can easily make a bubble team a playoff team. This guy will be our equivalent to Kuznetsov impact wise with the ability to out point Kuznetsov. Some people rank him higher than Kuznetsov and more into Kucherov level depending which article you read.

If Clb GM gives the green light on Lil + 1st, you make the trade. That top 9 will be historic and the odds of seeing a top 9 like that for any team ever again is close to 0 in a salary cap era.

If we don't win the cup then we don't win the cup. That's how the NHL is. You can have the best team ever seen but it doesn't guarantee a cup, which is why you never turn down the chance to make the team even better if you can survive the cost. Future is still bright if we lose Liljegren.
I consider it more patient than passive. I feel confident enough in our abilities to win now (as you said, already considered favourites in some regards) that I have no real desire to trade long-term pieces for short-term additions. (Liljegren may not be a core piece now, but I have every confidence in his ability to be one down the road, in just the position we're currently lacking.)

The future may still be bright if we lose Liljegren, but it's much brighter if we keep him. Giving him up for only one year of any player would be very short-sighted.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

True. And if we get Pan and win a cup, chances are, he will return and extend his time here for another shot at the Cup

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Parayko but neither will happen as cost be to much.

What if it comes to the point where CBJ still has Panarin at the deadline, and they are 10 points out of a playoff spot, and they are willing to sell him as a rental.

I would easily trade 1st+2nd+Durzi/Rasanen/Grundstrom for Panarin.

Not saying you are doing this, but I have seen so many people dismissive of the thought of trading 1st round picks+ for Panarin just because we're already stacked on offense and we supposedly need D. Like we don't need the best LW in the NHL? It would make us cup favorites undoubtedly and we are in a window here where we have to go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad