Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm all for bringing in a player like Panarin as long as it doesn't prevent them from upgrading the defense.

Reactions: The Cobra

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm all for bringing in a player like Panarin as long as it doesn't prevent them from upgrading the defense.

I hear you, but I can't imagine how it wouldn't prevent us from upgrading the defense.

First, it would cost significant trade pieces to trade for Panarin. So then what expendable assets would we have left to move for a blueliner? And then there's cap considerations. Panarin at 6 million is good value for him, but it's still a big number to add on.

Our D group just doesn't stack up against other Cup contenders. It's clearly the weak point on the roster.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Or hurt us after 1 year due to the cost.
Which I can't see how it wouldn't.
Agreed but I would trust management not to let that happen.

I hear you, but I can't imagine how it wouldn't prevent us from upgrading the defense.

First, it would cost significant trade pieces to trade for Panarin. So then what expendable assets would we have left to move for a blueliner? And then there's cap considerations. Panarin at 6 million is good value for him, but it's still a big number to add on.

Our D group just doesn't stack up against other Cup contenders. It's clearly the weak point on the roster.

Agreed, it's tough to see how they could achieve both.

Reactions: iSophagus

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Kind of an oxymoron no?

The assets used to acquire Panarin would be used to acquire a dman I would think.

Unless you're getting Panarin or the D for Leivo/Carrick (which you aren't), there's no way around it.

Bill Berg

Golly!
Dec 15, 2013
Or hurt us after 1 year due to the cost.
Which I can't see how it wouldn't.

It will hurt if we eat into the Horton space. Then the performance bonuses will carry over to next year. That's 3.7 million off next year's cap. So they have to stay 3.7 below the 79.5 cap to prevent that. Next year they'll need every million they can get.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
how will adding a defenseman stop teams from trapping? Panarin is a zone entry wizard
because we can upgrade a right D.

no money.

The trap works the best when you can score 3+ goals a game. if we upgrade D we can limit teams to less 3 goal games.

we need to save money for D.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
because we can upgrade a right D.

no money.

The trap works the best when you can score 3+ goals a game. if we upgrade D we can limit teams to less 3 goal games.

we need to save money for D.

Panarin as a rental will cost assets instead of money.

But I agree with your premise nonetheless, assets should be used for improving D instead of acquiring Panarin.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
If you were in Panarin’s shoes, which team is the most appealing to join? I would honestly say the Leafs. They have the most potential and he not only would feed off the youth and energy, but would turn the energy up into overdrive making everyone around him better players. It’s called the synergistic effect. Plus since the arrival of Shanahan and his subsequent moves, this team has become much more attractive to players of Russian and European origin. This is do or die, I hope we can get him for this season and finally break the 51 year curse.

Reactions: BM14 and Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Panarin as a rental will cost assets instead of money.

But I agree with your premise nonetheless, assets should be used for improving D instead of acquiring Panarin.
Marginally improving D through trade will only be a short term situation as well (2 years max).
The long term fix is through the development system. You will not trade for a defenseman who is as good on defense as Panarin is on offense.

Reactions: BM14

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Panarin - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If you were in Panarin’s shoes, which team is the most appealing to join? I would honestly say the Leafs. They have the most potential and he not only would feed off the youth and energy, but would turn the energy up into overdrive making everyone around him better players. It’s called the synergistic effect. Plus since the arrival of Shanahan and his subsequent moves, this team has become much more attractive to players of Russian and European origin. This is do or die, I hope we can get him for this season and finally break the 51 year curse.

Panarin is fresh out of Russia. Most likely would choose to play with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov if it were solely up to him and cap wasn't an issue. Leafs would probably be in his top 5 though but not no.1

Out of the teams interested he would probably choose the Sharks. They have the cap room to lock him up long term.

Pavelski-Couture-Panarin-Kane-Hertl-Meier is an amazing core that will be together for at least 3-5 years. Some other solid players in Donskoi and Labanc. Don't forget Burns on D and a solid goalie in Jones. Don't know much about the other guys but I'll assume they're a solid supporting cast by virtue of their GM's reputation.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Panarin is fresh out of Russia. Most likely would choose to play with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov if it were solely up to him and cap wasn't an issue. Leafs would probably be in his top 5 though but not no.1

Out of the teams interested he would probably choose the Sharks. They have the cap room to lock him up long term.

Pavelski-Couture-Panarin-Kane-Hertl-Meier is an amazing core that will be together for at least 3-5 years. Some other solid players in Donskoi and Labanc. Don't forget Burns on D and a solid goalie in Jones. Don't know much about the other guys but I'll assume they're a solid supporting cast by virtue of their GM's reputation.

Realistically I do see him going to the Sharks due to them not being in the same conference as the CBJ. Although I must admit that Sharks/Leafs will be a very dangerous team for even the most elite teams in the league

Reactions: Havoc

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
When is the deadline for Panarin? Edit: Sep 13. Where he will end up is of great interest to me (recently Boston is interested too).

Whether that’s with Toronto or San Jose.

Can you imagine waking up tomorrow and this thread is on fire because Dubas made another blockbuster deal for Panarin?

We would be heavy favourites to win the Cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad