Speculation: Friedman speculates the possibility of Crawford being traded

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why not just ask for Hart in a trade for Crow? We can throw in Delia and Nalimov. Heck, they can take Ward or Forsberg too.

Is this Hart kid that good? Is he their Kyle Schwarber?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Why not just ask for Hart in a trade for Crow? We can throw in Delia and Nalimov. Heck, they can take Ward or Forsberg too.

Is this Hart kid that good? Is he their Kyle Schwarber?
Hart is an "untouchable" for Philly

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hart is an "untouchable" for Philly

It really is amazing how many chances we’ve had to select the consensus No. 1 goalie in the draft and passed.

2011, took Clendening No. 36 over Gibson at 39

2012, took Teravainen at No. 18 over Vasilevskiy at 19

2016, took Krys at 45 over Hart at 48

And we needed a good goalie prospect the entire time. I’d love to know why they’ve neglected the position.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It really is amazing how many chances we’ve had to select the consensus No. 1 goalie in the draft and passed.

And we needeed a good goalie prospect the entire time. I’d love to know why they’ve neglected the position.
I remember when the Hawks picked Crow as a 2nd rounder. Why the Hawks didn't use a 2nd round pick for a good goalie prospect is a mind boggling ... esepcially when even TV analysts said that the Hawks goalie pipeline was dry for years.

I think the Hawks felt that they could always find a European goalie in the future. From Niemi to Raanta ... maybe they think Nalimov is the real deal? It's a dangerous game.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I remember when the Hawks picked Crow as a 2nd rounder. Why the Hawks didn't use a 2nd round pick for a good goalie prospect is a mind boggling ... esepcially when even TV analysts said that the Hawks goalie pipeline was dry for years.

I think the Hawks felt that they could always find a European goalie in the future. From Niemi to Raanta ... maybe they think Nalimov is the real deal? It's a dangerous game.
to be fair they havnt ended up needing one besides last year when they were junk anyway.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, we need to get Nalimov over here. He’s our best hope IMO. I was hoping we could have brought him over last year. Maybe he can get some starts at the end of the season this year.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

And we needed a good goalie prospect the entire time. I’d love to know why they’ve neglected the position.

It’s baffling. Any one of those guys would’ve been huge for the Hawks. Now, they put themselves in a position now to where they pretty much have to take one in the top 62 this year.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
to be fair they havnt ended up needing one besides last year when they were junk anyway.

Goalies take forever to go from the draft to NHL starter. Gibson and Vasilevskiy just became starters in the last couple seasons. IMO, you should always have one high end goalie prospect in the system, in addition to the home run types like Nalimov and Carruth.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It’s baffling. Any one of those guys would’ve been huge for the Hawks. Now, they put themselves in a position now to where they pretty much have to take one in the top 62 this year.
well we had a 23 year old Crawford just entering the show full time 2010-11 and I think this is some massive cherry picking/hindsight. we didn't really have a need for a goalie at that time, PLUS we took Simpson with a 2nd rounder in 2010...WTF people, we had a young Crow entering the league AND they went out and used another 2nd rounder on Simpson...every team has these issues with drafting goalies, not just us.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
they can keep crow, sign bob, sign varly, sign jimmy howard, trade for a goalie, play delia and nalimov.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
they can keep crow, sign bob, sign varly, sign jimmy howard, trade for a goalie, play delia and nalimov.

You have to pay out the ass to get a good UFA goalie. Whereas the best 2 goalies in the NHL, Gibson and Vadilevskiy, are making 2.3M and 3.5M, respectively. Gibson already resigned for 6.4M through his prime years. Vasi makes 3.5M again next season. You hit on the concensus No. 1 in the draft, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Magnus Hellberg went a pick before Gibson and Malcolm Subban a few picks after Vasilevskiy. Just because you take a swing at a goalie doesn't mean you'll hit, and if you miss, you miss BIG.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah but the problem is, there are very, very, very few goalies that can carry a team... Even if you have a top 5-10 goalie in the NHL, the team in front of him is way more important. So really, goalie will almost always be your last priority in drafting.

Defensemen. Centermen. Wingers. Goalies. Just based on numbers alone, there are always going to be good goalies playing hockey that AREN'T in the NHL.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Magnus Hellberg went a pick before Gibson and Malcolm Subban a few picks after Vasilevskiy. Just because you take a swing at a goalie doesn't mean you'll hit, and if you miss, you miss BIG.

If you hit, you hit big too because you sign them to a cheap bridge to be the backup then trade your incumbent starter and use that extra cap space to go on a few big runs. And I don’t understand the difference in a skater busting with a 2nd rounder vs. a goalie. I mean, I understand that there is still a chance your 2nd round skater could be a cheap 4th liner but so can a veteran from free agency, which is preferable anyway.

My biggest gripe is Vasilevskiy. Nobody was doubting he was a future starter. He was an elite prospect on par with Price. The last thing we needed was another skilled forward. We went for a luxury item with that pick.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
There is no (good) plan for Crow’s replacement. Even the biggest Bowman supporters need to accept the fact we botched the goaltending pipeline. We need to do what we did with the defense with the goaltending. Find a way to get Knight and someone else in this draft and acquire an NHL ready goaltending prospect with a lot of upside.
Idk Delia looks like he could be something. Still early on this season but I thought the consensus is Rockfords not as strong as last year? Right now hes got a .930 sv % with a 2.46 gaa hes only 5-5-4 but seems to be building off a solid rookie year. Def should keep drafting that position, not the biggest fan of high draft picks on goalies but Knight looks like the real deal. If we have an extra first to use on him Im not opposed.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Once Crow hit his 30s, the Hawks should have drafted a good goalie prospect ... at least when Raanta left.

I like Darling, but no one really thought he was our longer term answer if Crow went down. We really should have picked a goalie in 2016, 2017, or 2018. It's hindsight ... but a lot people said we needed to draft a goalie too.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Drafting goalies early is a huge waste of picks. Great goalies are found all over the draft because they take so long to develop. Unless it's a Price or someone of that ilk, there's no reason to spend a draft pick that early on one, IMO. You can always find good undrafted goalies and foreign goalies, also.

I really do think the Hawks have plans for one of Delia or Nalimov to take the reigns from Crow. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Drafting goalies early is a huge waste of picks. Great goalies are found all over the draft, because they take so long to develop. Unless it's a Price or someone of that ilk, there's no reason to spend a draft pick that early on one, IMO. You can always find good undrafted goalies and foreign goalies, also.

I really do think the Hawks have plans for one of Delia or Nalimov to take the reigns from Crow. We'll just have to wait and see.

You could just as easily construct a Cup contender purely out of 5th-7th round skaters and undrafted free agents.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You could just as easily construct a Cup contender purely out of 5th-7th round skaters and undrafted free agents.

:huh:

Are you missing the point? I can't believe you actually made this argument...

Goalies are so hit or miss in the draft because they take years upon years to develop. So it's very hard to judge how good a goalie really is until years down the line, which is why you see so many that are drafted in the 4th+ rounds turning into elite goalies or top 15 goalies. Goalies take 4-6 years to develop on average. It's absolutely illogical to take a goalie super early and waste the pick, unless they're sure-fire bet like Price. You're literally throwing away that pick instead of a potential elite player the vast majority of the time. It's like burning a $100 bill just to burn it. Most 1st and 2nd round picks of position players turn into NHL players. Many of them turn into stars and elite players. Goalies... not so much. They bust far, far more often than they hit.

Here's an article about it and why teams are doing it the way they are...

Puck-stopping patience: Teams wait on goalies at NHL draft

Here's a list of 15 goalies who were drafted super late and turned into great and/or elite goalies. Their original pick is just under the picture for each one.

15 Star Goalies Who Were Drafted Late And When They Should Have Gone

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Drafting goalies early is a huge waste of picks. Great goalies are found all over the draft, because they take so long to develop. Unless it's a Price or someone of that ilk, there's no reason to spend a draft pick that early on one, IMO. You can always find good undrafted goalies and foreign goalies, also.

What is the hit rate for the top goalies in the NHL? Are they mostly first or second rounders? Heck, I'll even take 3rd rounders. Or are they more European FAs or lower round picks? Are the days of finding Belfour or Hasek out of nowhere over due to expanded scouting?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
What is the hit rate for the top goalies in the NHL? Are they mostly first or second rounders? Heck, I'll even take 3rd rounders. Or are they more European FAs or lower round picks? Are the days of finding Belfour or Hasek out of nowhere over due to expanded scouting?
See my post above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad