Speculation: Friedman speculates the possibility of Crawford being traded

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If there's a buyer, the Hawks should sell.

Have Ward and Delia play out the rest of the season.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Well obviously, trade him while he still has value. Especially if there’s question that he’s not gonna be the same like before.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I understand it, but I'm not sure how to feel about losing him. Depends on what we get back. Might give Delia some games up here to see what he can do for the future. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lesser goalie (like a 1B) would come back in a Crow trade.

All I know for certain is Courts is going to go insane if Crow is traded. Not saying she'll break any laws, but Bowman should walk around with full time guards if Crawford is moved.

Reactions: migi

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I get the feeling if Stan moves core pieces like Crawford and Keith that he might not make it through the rebuild but he’s going to lay a really good foundation for the next man up. If somebody will pay a 1st and a good prospect for Crawford that is or is close to NHL ready then go for it...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I understand it, but I'm not sure how to feel about losing him. Depends on what we get back. Might give Delia some games up here to see what he can do for the future. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lesser goalie (like a 1B) would come back in a Crow trade.

All I know for certain is Courts is going to go insane if Crow is traded. Not saying she'll break any laws, but Bowman should walk around with full time guards if Crawford is moved.
Court might be willing to break laws. Definitely not murder, but battery with a hard snow ball is definitely possible.

IMO, Crow's contract is not the issue. It goes off the books in 2020. How much will a team give for a goalie nowadays? Furthermore, we have to pay money to find a goalie next year because our succession plan isn't much of a plan.

Trading Crow is more about securing more lottery balls for Hughes. It's not a bad idea.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
If there is a team interested in Crawford I would definitely be talking. Stan needs to move the core vets now or this team will only get worse and it will take even longer to rebuild.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
All depends on the market. Don’t trade him for meh just to trade him. As long as there’s value there I’m ok with moving him.

Reactions: LDF

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If there is a team interested in Crawford I would definitely be talking. Stan needs to move the core vets now or this team will only get worse and it will take even longer to rebuild.
Crow is off the books in 2020. You only trade him if you get something decent in return. That said, how many teams will pay for a $6mn goalie with a ton of uncertainty? This board highlighted how many capable UFA goalies were available the past 2 years.

Again, if a Crow trade is part of the tankathon for Hughes ... fine. However, realize we have no realistic succession plan at goalie. We'll either have to use a high draft choice or a decent amount of money to sign a UFA next year. We probably have to do both next year if we trade Crow.

IMO, trading Anisimov, Keith, Manning, and Seabrook, are bigger priorities.

I think Saad played himself off the trading block. I'm willing to give Murphy a longer leash because we're so short at the blue line.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
how the hell would the Flyers not be all over this guy????? only 1 more year left, doesn't block Hart at all...they have been a carousel of goalies and with new management that expects to win now...I think we can make this work..

2019 1st (top 5 protected) and a solid prospect like Allison perhaps for Crow and 2020 3rd/4th depending on where that 2019 pick is at...plus a 2021 2nd IF he resigns with the Flyers...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Only makes sense unless they can sign Crow to a sweet heart deal after next year and have him morph into a backup over time.

Crawford turns 34 in a couple of weeks and will be 35 years old as a FA after next season. If Crawford signs another deal it will be to be backup as no one is going to be looking for a soon to be 36 yr old #1 in summer of 2020

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
how the hell would the Flyers not be all over this guy????? only 1 more year left, doesn't block Hart at all...they have been a carousel of goalies and with new management that expects to win now...I think we can make this work..

2019 1st (top 5 protected) and a solid prospect like Allison perhaps for Crow and 2020 3rd/4th depending on where that 2019 pick is at...plus a 2021 2nd IF he resigns with the Flyers...
If the Hawks could get a top 5 protected 2019 1st round pick for Crow, you do it now. The other stuff doesn't really matter.

The Hawks can flip that 1st rounder for a young up and coming goalie prospect.

Reactions: Marvie

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If he agrees to waive his no trade clause my guess is the best return you can hope for is a late first and a prospect. Maybe a contract comes back for the sake of cap.
I don't believe any team would trade a first with top 5 protection. If they are that close to picking that high a 34 year old still good goalie isn't worth the risk.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Only makes sense unless they can sign Crow to a sweet heart deal after next year and have him morph into a backup over time.

Goalies are also playing well into their late 30s and I could see the same for Crawford. Personally, I’d ride out this year and see how the summer turns out. Then move Crawford and Keith next year if they suck. If they’re showing potential and Crow is still Crow then ink him to a short term extension at near the same AAV.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I love Crawford, but if they can trade him, and he is OK being traded, then by all means trade him. If you can get a 1st for him? Even better.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Its really hard to find good starters so moving him before seeing how things play out in free agency is really an acknowledgment that they feel Panarin and Stone aren’t likely enough to come here to pass up on the opportunity cost to trade Crawford.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Goalies are also playing well into their late 30s and I could see the same for Crawford. Personally, I’d ride out this year and see how the summer turns out. Then move Crawford and Keith next year if they suck. If they’re showing potential and Crow is still Crow then ink him to a short term extension at near the same AAV.
IMO the longer you wait, Keith's contract becomes far more difficult to move.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'm not sure that's true. Sure you can talk about his play declining, but regardless of how he plays, every year his contract becomes more appealing to cap floor teams. After this year the cash salary is 3.5, 2.6, 2.1 and 1.5 million, whereas the cap hit stays in the 5.5 range.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Not that worried about his contract. The potential return shouldnt differ materially if they move him this year or next.

And I find it hard to believe that his contract will become harder to move with time. Aging player with term become more attractive as term reduces. Players entering prime become less attractive as term reduces ala Panarin, Stone, etc. At least in my opinion, on average.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Lmao that’s a pipe dream, anyone thinking we can get more than a 2nd right now for Crawford is just hallucinating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad