Speculation: Friedman speculates the possibility of Crawford being traded

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The problem is that Crow's numbers have been hit or miss, our defense has been lax at best in front of him meaning that we're often putting him in a position where even great play is often not enough to get a win (not to say that he hasn't cost us some games), he's almost 34, and he has very recent extensive injury issues.

Couple all of these and I don't think you really have a super attractive trade piece there if you want a first or a major prospect in return.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The problem is that Crow's numbers have been hit or miss, our defense has been lax at best in front of him meaning that we're often putting him in a position where even great play is often not enough to get a win (not to say that he hasn't cost us some games), he's almost 34, and he has very recent extensive injury issues.

Couple all of these and I don't think you really have a super attractive trade piece there if you want a first or a major prospect in return.
but that is the main see-saw of a problem. CC been partly bad, b/c of the d-men in front of him. how can anyone, let alone any team not see this and take this into consideration ?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Crawford is 100% getting at least a 1st back if he was moved...people say this stuff every year only to be proven wrong over and over again when you see the actual returns at the deadline..

Flyers and Penguins could both look to Crow....Murray has been shaky health wise...

Tampa might be as well is Vas is going to be out longer than thought..

As funny as it sounds, but Arizona could be in the market for Crow too...we know what is going on there for goaltending, and if they want to start making a move, now would be the time...

Also Islanders and Hurricanes could use Crow too..both teams right there in the playoff race, both teams need goaltending that is steady.

There are plenty of teams who would trade for him with only 1 year left at a modest hit -

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm sure they would take that into consideration, but is a playoff team going to spend a late first on a goalie (or a bubble team a middle first or even late lottery pick) with question marks around them versus a skater to bolster their ranks?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm sure they would take that into consideration, but is a playoff team going to spend a late first on a goalie (or a bubble team a middle first or even late lottery pick) with question marks around them versus a skater to bolster their ranks?

Depends on how badly they need a starter, IMO. If a team thinks they're a contender, with the exception of a shaky goalie, or an oft-injured goalie, I could see them giving up a first.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, but I just don't think the Crow of 2018 is that guy. Crow of 2016 would've gotten us a 1st+ if he existed this year, but all the factors to consider make me think that trading for him is inherently risky and I'm not sure that there are many GMs that a) need a goalie, and b) want to swing that hard for one and risk the potential fallout if it doesn't work out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, but I just don't think the Crow of 2018 is that guy. Crow of 2016 would've gotten us a 1st+ if he existed this year, but all the factors to consider make me think that trading for him is inherently risky and I'm not sure that there are many GMs that a) need a goalie, and b) want to swing that hard for one and risk the potential fallout if it doesn't work out.
if the team is shoring up around him like it looks to be, and Crow can slightly kick up a few of his numbers, he becomes extremely attractive to many teams I listed above. he is a proven NHL winner, teams still absolutely covet that big game experience..I just have very little doubt that he fetches a 1st plus back now that he has at least proven he is healthy, which was his biggest concern this season.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I absolutely like Crow, and agree. I just don't think there's enough of a guarantee there to expect other teams to spend a first that could be spent on a second center or a shutdown blueliner or a playmaking winger instead.

If we trade Crow and we get a first back, all props to Bowman.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I absolutely like Crow, and agree. I just don't think there's enough of a guarantee there to expect other teams to spend a first that could be spent on a second center or a shutdown blueliner or a playmaking winger instead.

If we trade Crow and we get a first back, all props to Bowman.
every #1 goalie in the last few years traded got a #1 plus back...there is no chance he wouldn't get it as well considering how insane his numbers were last year, missed a lot of time last year to this year and is on a bad team...scouts have to account for all of that, but his pedigree is a top 10 to 15 goalie at worse in the league, he would be highly coveted AS LONG as scouts/GMs were positive he is fully healthy, which he has to be as he wouldn't have played this many games in the year if not...

I don't want him to go either, but I am actually expecting him to be moved at the deadline. I mean he has 1 year left, we are not a good team right now...makes no sense to just keep him and then likely lose him after next season for nothing....I don't see the Hawks re signing him either as he still will command a good amount of $$$ and we have learned from our past signings of players 33 and older to avoid that...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Let's think logically about Crow ...

1. The Hawks really have no succession plan for Crow. We're going to to have to pay a lot or use a high draft pick for a goalie next year if Crow is traded. So trading Crow is not as easy from a long term strategic perspective. The Hawks need to have a Plan B.

2. Crow only has 1.5 years left on his contract @$6mn per. His contract is not paralyzing for the Hawks. The Hawks have some leverage.

3. Crow has a NMC. Although there is only 1.5 years left, he will probably only waive it for a contender. So let's forget about the crappy teams who might have interest.

4. The return for Crow is volatile. It only takes one team to give up a 1st rounder. That said, who is the opposing GM? Are they desperate to win? Will Crow push them over for a Cup? Does the GM have a track record for trading young asssets? Are their jobs on the line this year? For example, who is Philly's GM and what's his deal?

5. Does the opposing team have cap space? What contract will we have to take back if not? No long term bad contracts.

6. Trading Crow in order to secure more lottery balls might be the bigger incentive. Lose for Hughes.

7. Belichick never distinguishes the value of a draft pick by first or second round. He assigns the value by number. The 24th pick is not much different than the 36th pick. If a first round pick is top 10 protected ... it's not hugely different from a 2nd round pick.

8. Is Crow fully healthy? Our defense sucks so I wouldn't take too much stock in his goals against this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Edit opps, looking at the wrong deal

What did Bishop get back to go to the Kings?
which time?

he wasn't the Lightning's #1 when they moved him out to LA...and then when LA moved him out after a handful of games he was a UFA right?

sorry you edited and said the Kings trade..

he was a UFA when Dallas got him I believe....and he lost his #1 job which really hurt his value...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ben Bishop gives Kings another No. 1 goalie

Yes they did trade for him to be their #1 if Quick hadn’t returned back to elite level. But what ever.

If Crow fetches 1st, I’m heavily surprised. Flyers might be the only team to do that because Holmgren is idiot.
They knew Quick was returning, and they knew he would be their starter. Bishop also wasn't a two time Cup champ.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Darling got a 3rd as a UFA with zero games left in the season.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

1. The Hawks really have no succession plan for Crow. We're going to to have to pay a lot or use a high draft pick for a goalie next year if Crow is traded. So trading Crow is not as easy from a long term strategic perspective. The Hawks need to have a Plan B.

2. Crow only has 1.5 years left on his contract @$6mn per. His contract is not paralyzing for the Hawks. The Hawks have some leverage.

3. Crow has a NMC. Although there is only 1.5 years left, he will probably only waive it for a contender. So let's forget about the crappy teams who might have interest.

4. The return for Crow is volatile. It only takes one team to give up a 1st rounder. That said, who is the opposing GM? Are they desperate to win? Will Crow push them over for a Cup? Does the GM have a track record for trading young asssets? Are their jobs on the line this year? For example, who is Philly's GM and what's his deal?

5. Does the opposing team have cap space? What contract will we have to take back if not? No long term bad contracts.

6. Trading Crow in order to secure more lottery balls might be the npbigger incentive. Lose for Hughes.

7. Belichick never distinguishes the value of a draft pick by first or second round. He assigns the value by number. The 24th pick is not much different than the 36th pick. If a first round pick is top 10 protected ... it's not hugely different from a 2nd round pick.

8. Is Crow fully healthy? Our defense sucks so I wouldn't take too much stock in his goals against this year.

1. Plan B is Delia and Nalimov developing. One of them will be the backup here(if they don't take the starting gig from Crow) next season, as Ward is only on a 1 year deal. Their plan has always involved Delia or Nalimov backing up Crow next year, IMO, or why sign Ward to just a one year deal with a NMC?
2. Good reason to trade him, and why his value would be higher.
3. He'd waive it if it meant another Cup, IMO.
4. The return isn't that volatile, you're basing the volatility off of speculation. I doubt he commands less than a first round pick from any team, no matter the GM.
5. If they have an injury to a starting goalie that would required them to make a move for a new #1, they likely have cap space as the other starter would go on LTIR.
6. I doubt trading Crow to lose more is really on their mind.
7. Football isn't hockey. But that premise is similar. A late 1st or an early 2nd... basically about the same. It's also specific to the depth of each draft, also, though.
8. Yes. Or he wouldn't have played 21 games already this season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Delia.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think the only way the Hawks trade Crawford is for overpayment anyway. I don't believe they are just trying to ship him out of town for whatever they can get.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think the only way the Hawks trade Crawford is for overpayment anyway. I don't believe they are just trying to ship him out of town for whatever they can get.

Yep. They're going to want him there to mentor whichever of the two wins the backup role next year between Nalimov and Delia, and then when his contract expires, said winner bumps to the starting role, and who knows, maybe Crow takes a 2 year cheap deal to stay on as the backup?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
agreed, but you still have to look at it logically - meaning in 3-4 weeks if this team is still in the bottom 5, what good does Crow do here?? He has only 1 year left and that would be very attractive to a team either in the hunt or needing a goalie to push them over...I think the value for Crow would surprise some on here, and people say Keith is our biggest asset that could likely be moved (Toews and Kane aren't going anywhere), I actually believe it is Crow that is our biggest asset as he can step in right away and be a teams #1 goalie....with a modest cap hit and short term left..that value IMO will surprise some people if the deal gets made...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
agreed, but you still have to look at it logically - meaning in 3-4 weeks if this team is still in the bottom 5, what good does Crow do here?? He has only 1 year left and that would be very attractive to a team either in the hunt or needing a goalie to push them over...I think the value for Crow would surprise some on here, and people say Keith is our biggest asset that could likely be moved (Toews and Kane aren't going anywhere), I actually believe it is Crow that is our biggest asset as he can step in right away and be a teams #1 goalie....with a modest cap hit and short term left..that value IMO will surprise some people if the deal gets made...

Championship pedigree mentoring your future #1 for the final year of his contract. A la Turco.(I know he never won a Cup, but he was a pretty good goalie, and played in a lot of playoff games.)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Championship pedigree mentoring your future #1 for the final year of his contract. A la Turco.
but none of those kids are up here is my point...Crow being here this year does nothing if we are a bottom feeder...they can't cut Ward and likely will not dress 3 goalies, so nothing for him to mentor... so I am saying if you get an offer that is a wow type deal, why not pursue it???

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
but none of those kids are up here is my point...Crow being here this year does nothing if we are a bottom feeder...they can't cut Ward and likely will not dress 3 goalies, so nothing for him to mentor... so I am saying if you get an offer that is a wow type deal, why not pursue it???

I'm talking about next year. Crow's final year of his contract. When Ward is gone as a UFA, and one of Delia or Nalimov wins the battle for the backup role.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crow would be a decent back up for 3mil or so to, after his contract is expired. And hell, he could probably still be the starter at that point too for cheaper than what he makes now.

Zero doubt in my mind that Crow would sign a friendly discount to stay in Chicago, so unless a team overpays for him, I think he stays.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
1. Plan B is Delia and Nalimov developing. One of them will be the backup here(if they don't take the starting gig from Crow) next season, as Ward is only on a 1 year deal. Their plan has always involved Delia or Nalimov backing up Crow next year, IMO, or why sign Ward to just a one year deal with a NMC?
2. Good reason to trade him, and why his value would be higher.
3. He'd waive it if it meant another Cup, IMO.
4. The return isn't that volatile, you're basing the volatility off of speculation. I doubt he commands less than a first round pick from any team, no matter the GM.
5. If they have an injury to a starting goalie that would required them to make a move for a new #1, they likely have cap space as the other starter would go on LTIR.
6. I doubt trading Crow to lose more is really on their mind.
7. Football isn't hockey. But that premise is similar. A late 1st or an early 2nd... basically about the same. It's also specific to the depth of each draft, also, though.
8. Yes. Or he wouldn't have played 21 games already this season.
I hope Crow can fetch a first round pick, but fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players. Of course the return is volatile. We're fighting about Crow's worth on a message board. You don't think GMs aren't doing the same? 21 games is not a huge sample size for a player coming off of a career threatening injury. Brain injuries are even more volatile.

Are Delia and Nalimov big time prospects? I did not know that. Is Nalimov even thinking about coming to the US?

IMO, the NFL and NHL drafts are very similar. You have the blue chippers in the top half of the draft. As you get to the bottom half of the 1st round and top half of the 2nd round ... there's not much consensus. Prospects can easily be swapped regardless of the year. The standard deviation always gets far bigger in the bottom half of the first round.

If the Hawks are trading Crow, they are tanking this season (if they aren't already). A rookie Delia and Ward don't exactly exude confidence.

Injuries will definitely play a part in a potential trade. It always does. Are there any contending teams with injured goalies? That's one of the reasons why Crow's potential return is so volatile. You need desperate teams to maximize Crow's value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad