Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
He was really good for a stretch of time in the middle of the season before he got injured. But that was when the Leafs PP was hot

He was an absolute no show in the playoffs. I don't know what to think

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think that's true either. These guys aren't Kovalevs or Semins.

May be a philosophy from top to just 'play the game'.

Then no point in getting Simmonds and telling to just 'play the game'. He can't play soft. He needs to be a mean mother f***er. Quite frankly, he looked useless last season. And yes, I am aware of his hand injury.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If he does sign for a cheaper contract and scores at the same rate as last season - 15 goal pace - that's actually pretty decent value for 4th line level player.
It's a good pace at first glance, but it was propped up with 3 PPG early in the season and he shouldn't see much if any PP time if he returns.

We'll have better options for it like the big 4, Spezza, Robertson, Hyman/replacement, Galchenyuk/replacement, etc..

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
The solutions are supposed to be calculated by the GM, and not on some fantasy PlayStation.

Your reasons for re-signing Simmonds have absolutely no merit.
I think he has value. "The solutions" that're "supposed to be calculated by the GM"...feel he has value. So I'm wrong, the GM is wrong, the coach who gave his input on Simmonds is wrong...got it.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Then no point in getting Simmonds and telling to just 'play the game'. He can't play soft. He needs to be a mean mother f***er. Quite frankly, he looked useless last season. And yes, I am aware of his hand injury.

There's seems to be this really stupid idea about playing clean hockey and not taking penalties. If anything they should have some shitheads who will help draw penalties ala Brendan Lemieux or Pat Maroon etc.

Simmonds got double teamed by Chiarot and Edmundson during the playoffs and was powerless to do anything because neither of those clowns would drop the gloves with him especially Chiarot who already learned his lesson.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wayne Simmonds not so fun fact.

The last time Wayne Simmonds scored a playoff goal was back in 2014 and he was 25 years old at the time.

He as played in 21 playoff games over the course of the last 7 years, and hasn't scored a single goal and recorded but 5 assists during that time, nor has he helped a single team advance beyond round #1.

He will be 33 years by the time he gets to score his next playoff goal.

Wayne Simmonds

Reactions: fahad203

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Ask me if I'm excited to watch "Wayne Simmonds" play next year. Actually, don't bother.

Reactions: egd27

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
if im dubas and i wanna stick with tis "type" of player im asking others before im getting simmonds back, i personally would prefer that shithead perry to simmonds on my team lol

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Montreal was the most physical team in the league this past season, and they deploy a top 4 D that are just all big and nasty infront of the best goalie in the league. We definitely did not get burned by their skilled youth lol they play a hard team game and they come in waves. Kudos to them. Thornton is the only one you mentioned that I can agree was just flat out bad. The other guys weren't the issue, the guys at the top that're paid to get it done, not getting it done, was the issue.
Your right about the Habs being physical. I thought Simmonds was gonna be a big part in being able to handle that for us but instead of being the hunter he was the hunted. Right from the get go the Habs went at him and he had no response.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Your right about the Habs being physical. I thought Simmonds was gonna be a big part in being able to handle that for us but instead of being the hunter he was the hunted. Right from the get go the Habs went at him and he had no response.
He was a non factor, but he wasn't hunted and was the only player I can think of that had an answer, which we saw at the end of Game 2

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I think he has value. "The solutions" that're "supposed to be calculated by the GM"...feel he has value. So I'm wrong, the GM is wrong, the coach who gave his input on Simmonds is wrong...got it.

Value? Both those clowns wouldn't know value if it smacked them in their Walmart faces.

Only a fool doubles down on his mistakes and expects a different outcome.

Exhibit A = Dubas and Keefe .

Come on, tell the truth you're really Wayne Simmonds, right?

PS, Enjoy tonight's game, it should be a good one.

Reactions: egd27 and Lumberg

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's possible. Honestly not sure whether Coleman can be had for 2.5 or 5. Seems like such a potential gap. He's undoubtedly useful. Can put up good numbers and plays nastier than Hyman. He'll definitely have a market
Not here he won't, it is forbidden.

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Value? Both those clowns wouldn't know value if it smacked them in their Walmart faces.

Only a fool doubles down on his mistakes and expects a different outcome.

Exhibit A = Dubas and Keefe .

Come on, tell the truth you're really Wayne Simmonds, right?

PS, Enjoy tonight's game, it should be a good one.
Well it's weird to say to leave those decisions to the GM...and then proceed to call the GM a fool lol
Anyways, I digress. You enjoy the game too man. Go Lightning

Reactions: CelticDruid

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carter has a year left on his deal.

Simmond's fine as a 4th line RWer, but we have arguably the best 4th line RWer around in Spezza. And Spezza can't play C long term and neither looks good on the left (which we tried to force on Simmonds a bit).

Gives us some okay depth, but I guess I just don't really see where he fits.

Oh really, I thought he was a rental for Pittsburgh…

He just comes across as a name recognition player with limited impact from a hockey point of view. Wish they’d use their pro scoring and go find the next Carter Verhaeghe or something like that instead of a guy who really doesn’t have the health and skills to play the way you want him to.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure let's bring all the same passengers from last year back. Are we looking at bringing back Thornton too?

Reactions: fahad203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad