Rumor: Friedman links NYR to IIHF suspended F Zaripov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If it's between Jagr or Zaripov for a 1 year deal, you take Jagr every single time. Only issue would be cap space.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I keep seeing we can't afford Jagr, Jagr wants too much, etc. Anyone know what he's actually asking for? I know he made $4M last year. He's still on the market and it's almost September. Gotta think the asking price is coming down, no?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I keep seeing we can't afford Jagr, Jagr wants too much, etc. Anyone know what he's actually asking for? I know he made $4M last year. He's still on the market and it's almost September. Gotta think the asking price is coming down, no?

We have $3,050,556 in cap space right now with only 12 Fwds (In addition Fast starts on LTIR). There are also some potential substantial bonuses. If we add another player plus Jaromir, I have a hard time seeing how we do that without some other deals being made. If we can do that, well fine. But I would like to see that done first.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I kind of think you're investing less if you are signing a guy like Zaripov over Jagr. If it doesn't work out, you're probably not out much, and he's still nearly a decade younger than Jagr (seriously, let that sink in). Jagr may be asking for more money at this point, and part of me feels there's some baggage with him in terms of being a superstar for so long...even if he's a great teammate it still kind of has the feel of plopping a giant elephant in the room. Maybe it's good, maybe it's weird, I dunno.

Still, 45 years old. You don't know when the wheels are going to fall off. What Jagr has done is remarkable but it's not going to last.

Besides the fact that Jagr is slow and doesn't really fit the Rangers system, you hit the other two reasons on why I don't want him. His personality makes him a distraction and his inevitable decline is too unpredictable.

Now, I've seen different reports regarding Zaripov's skating and he's definitely of the age where a decline could happen at any time too. His 3 year trendline is definitely in the wrong direction (64-54-45). However, if he turns out to be a mistake, it'll have less impact on the team than Jagr. Bring in Zaripov and the only way he has significant importance to the team is if he performs like Radulov did last year. Bring in Jagr and he has significant importance to the team no matter what happens.

I'm not really advocating for Zaripov, but in a choice between him and Jagr, I choose Zaripov. He might be lower reward (might be), but he's also lower risk.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I would argue that the main reason Jagr is still on the market is that his asking price HASN'T come down.

Aside from being a billion years old and all.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Kreider - Zib - Buchnevich
Vesey - Hayes - Nash
Zaripov - Miller - Zucc
Grabner - DD/LAndersson/Bo#1C - Puempel/Farnham (Fast)

I would love these lines. The whole top 9 except Vesey (40-45) are/can be 50+ point players next year. I'd keep LA on Frolunda though, you ruin his development by playing him as the 4C. Boo and Pimple as the 13/14th forwards once Fast gets back. That 4th line is capable of around 35 points each with Grabner likely hitting more if he has the same kind of season. You also have Shatty feeding them passes who hit 56 points last year in 80 games and Skjei improving to around 45 with better defense..this team looks scary. If ADA gets playing time, I have no doubt in my mind he can breakout offensively to around 40 points. He's one of the most underrated prospects due to his attitude issues but people can't look past that and see the kid's talent. I am being optimistic and we likely don't have 9 guys who hit 50+ due to injuries and **** but I think we can surprise a lot of people.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Pass on Zaripov. Mega talented, but he's a fossil now and was never really suited for the small ice to begin with. He's way too old to make the transition. Not to mention nobody knows how much his substance use was helping him maintain a high level of play in his later years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I too play hockey really well while I'm on Sudafed.

But in all seriousness, he's worth a one year deal.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We have $3,050,556 in cap space right now with only 12 Fwds (In addition Fast starts on LTIR). There are also some potential substantial bonuses. If we add another player plus Jaromir, I have a hard time seeing how we do that without some other deals being made. If we can do that, well fine. But I would like to see that done first.

Easy. Sign jagr for $3M, waive Holden... $650k to run the team.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Pass on Zaripov. Mega talented, but he's a fossil now and was never really suited for the small ice to begin with. He's way too old to make the transition. Not to mention nobody knows how much his substance use was helping him maintain a high level of play in his later years.

Easy. Sign jagr for $3M, waive Holden... $650k to run the team.

Speaking of fossils....Jagr is like a full decade older than Zaripov

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Does anyone know what Zaripov is looking for, as far as salary and term goes?

If he wants $1.5M on a 1-year deal, what's the harm? Anything more than that and I'm hesitant.

We have been able to squeeze decent performance out of these kinds of cheap signings in the past (Prospal, Fedotenko, Pouliot, Moore, Hunwick).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm more than a little surprised Holden has not been traded as of yet.

I am and I am not. There hasn't really been much activity at all this summer though. Additionally, there is still time. Guys always get injured while training or in preseason. It also isn't a bad thing to see how some of our youngsters do in preseason before just shipping Holden out.

I'm guessing he will be out of a Rangers uniform before Thanksgiving.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would think the Rangers are waiting to see how training camp plays out with the younger D--notably DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Pionk and Graves and maybe even Day before they make a decision on what to do with Holden. Even Staal's play during training camp might factor into that. Having two rookie D playing regularly as well is not a thing that most competitive teams can get away with. But anyway I don't suspect Holden is going to be moving until more is known.

On Zaripov and Jagr--I have doubts about both and if I signed either I'd keep the term down and $2 mil or under. They are both risks AFAIC. The Rangers do need more forward depth though.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Agreed that'd I'd just assume we sign Jagr if that was an alternative. That being said there is always the chance that he just doesn't want to come back to NY.

He certainly doesn't fit the overall system for the most part, but there's something to be said for variety as well. Put him with Hayes and Vesey and you have a line that can really cycle the puck well, albeit while giving up some defensive awareness.

Kreids - Z - Buch
Nash - Miller - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Jagr
Fast - DD - Grabner
Puempel

Nothing to sneeze at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad