Rumor: Friedman links NYR to IIHF suspended F Zaripov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why? Why not just sign Jagr? This is senseless.

I think the success of the speed game lately have people staying away from guys like Jagr and Doan.

I am very far from sold on Zaripov, I've seen him disappear way too often. Mostly later on in WCHs but also last season in the Gagarin Cup finals. But, on a PTO or buryable contract -- why not? I can also not rule out that he can make sense. He is a very sneaky scorer and is really smart.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think the success of the speed game lately have people staying away from guys like Jagr and Doan.

I am very far from sold on Zaripov, I've seen him disappear way too often. Mostly later on in WCHs but also last season in the Gagarin Cup finals. But, on a PTO or buryable contract -- why not? I can also not rule out that he can make sense. He is a very sneaky scorer and is really smart.

$1,025,000 for 3 years is something we can easily afford.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Low risk, high reward. Has strength and a decent first step as a 36 year old. Mentor to Buch. Easy signing for NYR.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's random that we're interested, not that he is available. Seems to me at his age he'd normally be looking at the Czech league/Finnish league.

I'd give him a tryout, that's it. No need to push the 50SPC limit, we're at 48 already.

He'd obliterate those leagues, set their scoring records. If he wants anything resembling a level of play where he's not the best player, its the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That just means Zborovskiy needs to make the team.

Yeah, he's certainly not likely to play in the NHL this year, although I think he's next on the depth chart after Graves and Pionk, in terms of readiness, so maybe he'll play some games, if there are a lot of injuries.

I think Georgiyev is more likely to play. He's the 3rd goalie, and Pavelec most likely isn't good.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's random that we're interested, not that he is available. Seems to me at his age he'd normally be looking at the Czech league/Finnish league.

I'd give him a tryout, that's it. No need to push the 50SPC limit, we're at 48 already.

Rangers have 4 contracts that could slide (Andersson, Chytil, Day and Gettinger). At least 2 will slide.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'd obliterate those leagues, set their scoring records. If he wants anything resembling a level of play where he's not the best player, its the NHL.

You think he'd go score 94 points in Liiga or the Czech Extraliga and break records that have existed for 30 and 40 years?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You think he'd go score 94 points in Liiga or the Czech Extraliga and break records that have existed for 30 and 40 years?

He has a chance to, but he'd be the best player in both leagues by quite some margin. I didn't bother looking up the records, but I can't think there are many circumstances where there was a better player in both leagues relative to their competition. Those are two really low level leagues right now, meanwhile you'd be putting a top 10 KHL player, and a guy who'd be a top 6 NHL'er, maybe first liner into the league months after he scored 15 goals in 18 playoff games, so he's still doing pretty well, despite his age.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Played on the same team as Bereglazov.

Mike Pelino is an assistent coach for Metallurg Magnitogorsk and has in that capacity coached Danis Zaripov the last four years.

Pelino was an assistent for us during the time Gorton was a pro scout and Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Pelino and the NYR organization/Slats/Gorton has a relationship. We are the only NHL org. to give Pelino a shot -- and having an assistent coach in the KHL that you can chat with about players must be an awesome asset.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-prospects-looking-for-spot-on-roster/c-290331354
Clark said it was Pelino who put Bereglazov back on the Rangers' radar, giving a heads up to president Glen Sather. Bereglazov signed with New York on April 21.

You bet Gorton would listen if Pelino only have good words to say about Zaripov. Our interest in him is not "random". With that said, I would like to get Zaripov into camp and see how he looks before comiting to the extent that it would impact our cap if things didn't work out. Lastly, all the above is a conditional on a big "if", would Zaripov be allowed to play in the NHL? We don't know that yet.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He has a chance to, but he'd be the best player in both leagues by quite some margin. I didn't bother looking up the records, but I can't think there are many circumstances where there was a better player in both leagues relative to their competition. Those are two really low level leagues right now, meanwhile you'd be putting a top 10 KHL player, and a guy who'd be a top 6 NHL'er, maybe first liner into the league months after he scored 15 goals in 18 playoff games, so he's still doing pretty well, despite his age.

I don't doubt his talent, but Liiga and the Czech league were considered good leagues within the past decade and it seems incredibly unlikely that a 37 year old player who is (presumably) no longer doping would come in and establish records that were set decades ago in a different era of European hockey. Would he be one of the most productive players? I don't know, there are career players in those leagues that are established as top producers. Maybe he would be though. Record-setting? That seems highly dubious considered no one comes close to those totals now.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He's already 36. Does he speak English? And, if not, would he be willing to learn it?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Mike Pelino is an assistent coach for Metallurg Magnitogorsk and has in that capacity coached Danis Zaripov the last four years.

Pelino was an assistent for us during the time Gorton was a pro scout and Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Pelino and the NYR organization/Slats/Gorton has a relationship. We are the only NHL org. to give Pelino a shot -- and having an assistent coach in the KHL that you can chat with about players must be an awesome asset.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-prospects-looking-for-spot-on-roster/c-290331354

You bet Gorton would listen if Pelino only have good words to say about Zaripov. Our interest in him is not "random". With that said, I would like to get Zaripov into camp and see how he looks before comiting to the extent that it would impact our cap if things didn't work out. Lastly, all the above is a conditional on a big "if", would Zaripov be allowed to play in the NHL? We don't know that yet.

Good points, Ola regarding Pelino connection, he possibly could have also reached out to Zaripov to nudge him toward the Rangers.

I don't doubt his talent, but Liiga and the Czech league were considered good leagues within the past decade and it seems incredibly unlikely that a 37 year old player who is (presumably) no longer doping would come in and establish records that were set decades ago in a different era of European hockey. Would he be one of the most productive players? I don't know, there are career players in those leagues that are established as top producers. Maybe he would be though. Record-setting? That seems highly dubious considered no one comes close to those totals now.

Sorry for barging in but I don't understand the relevance of scoring records in those leagues. Zaripov has been good enough to be able to do it but there are other factors that go into breaking records even if at a league levels below KHL. I don't think it would be on his list of items that motivate his choice of where to play next season - he wasn't looking for a place to linger before retiring.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good points, Ola regarding Pelino connection, he possibly could have also reached out to Zaripov to nudge him toward the Rangers.

Sorry for barging in but I don't understand the relevance of scoring records in those leagues. Zaripov has been good enough to be able to do it but there are other factors that go into breaking records even if at a league levels below KHL. I don't think it would be on his list of items that motivate his choice of where to play next season - he wasn't looking for a place to linger before retiring.

There is no relevance. I just saw a comment about it and felt it warranted a response.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think it would be on his list of items that motivate his choice of where to play next season - he wasn't looking for a place to linger before retiring.

I watched the videos above. This guy has the shot and snipe mentality we thought Pirri would bring, and much more. Going to the dirty areas, skating, sneaky passing. And he looks more rugged.

I expect thst if he comes, it's to show every one how good he is, rack up a few 20+ goal seasons, and push this suspension situation far in the rearview mirror.

This team could use a skilled sniper, and straight-to-the-net offensive forward.

Didn't know much of him before now, but seems a very complimentary piece, even if not a C

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm just saying, though, it becomes harder to pick up a new language as one gets older.

He is 36 and has played in an international league with players from other countries, international tournaments where he gives interviews to journalists from other countries and spent a year in Canada as a junior.

I'm sure he will be fine. It's not as if he is 65 trying to learn a new language

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd be fine with a 1 year, cheap deal. We could use a little flash at low risk.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

For Sure... I mean, what does he have to lose? He's suspended overseas and therefore isn't making any money right now... If another firm (NYR) is offering you money because their sanctioning system does not recognize your issue as an issue, your best well take advantage of that

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He is 36 and has played in an international league with players from other countries, international tournaments where he gives interviews to journalists from other countries and spent a year in Canada as a junior.

I'm sure he will be fine. It's not as if he is 65 trying to learn a new language

Yeah -- you're probably right. :)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

If I'm him on a one year show me contract at $1.025,000 maybe I think 'okay. It's late in free agency and most teams are strapped for cap dollars'. Not for three years though. That's just taking advantage--'what if I put up 50 points?'--and making a fool out of me.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How much would he get paid in other leagues? Would 1 mill be a major setback for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad