cwede

Sep 1, 2010
this originally posted at
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk

FYI Zaripov stats
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45222
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11045

looks to be consistent finisher

Friedman: Rangers and Golden Knights among NHL teams interested in IIHF suspended Zaripov
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2382529

Rangers and Golden Knights among NHL teams interested in IIHF suspended Zaripov

Quote:
In July, 36-year-old Russian forward Danis Zaripov was suspended two years by the International Ice Hockey Federation. According to a KHL media release, Zaripov’s samples “contained banned stimulants plus substances prohibited as diuretics and masking agents.â€ÂÂ
At the time, Zaripov swore to appeal. “I’m shocked,†he told Reuters news agency. “There’s nothing else to say.â€Â
Since then, he’s begun the process. Part of that is an attempt to become eligible to play in the NHL, and, according to a couple of sources, clarity is expected early next week. A couple teams indicated they expect he will be available.

Quote:
The KHL club Ak Bars Kazan voided Zaripov’s deal, which means he has no contractual commitments. There will be some NHL interest, with the Vegas Golden Knights and New York Rangers among those expected to pursue.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
15 goals in 18 playoff games this past season. Not bad. Could make up for Hayes and Miller disappearing come postseason :naughty:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
he's 194 pounds not 163. Ton of talent, would love for this to happen

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Guy is listed at 163. If true he would likely get destroyed in the NHL unless he's got blazing speed.

this
probably his weight when he played Canadian junior ~18 years ago.
HockeyDB is not known for updating player details over time
Eliteprospects has become better, all that HockeyDB has and more and more responsibly updated ( i like HockeyDB but, before I post, I always crosscheck EP

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If we're signing a 35+ wing make it Jagr and not this dude.

Zaripov at this point in their careers is better than Jagr. Hands down. He's been Radulov level of play through out his career. Can both score and pass. Defense probably will be an issue at first learning the system and doing what it demands. He can be very good but there is definitely risk as well.

Edit: I think concerns about him being old are legitimate. To me it is a concern because of a doping. Stoping use of substances that makes you perform better at his age could very well turn him into a "typical" 36-year old who scores a bunch in October - November and then struggles through the end of a season.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
One year max. Please. Do not like 35 plus contracts especially for guys that have never played in the league, even if he's talented.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Zaripov at this point in their careers is better than Jagr. Hands down. He's been Radulov level of play through out his career. Can both score and pass. Defense probably will be an issue at first learning the system and doing what it demands. He can be very good but there is definitely risk as well.

Edit: I think concerns about him being old are legitimate. To me it is a concern because of a doping. Stoping use of substances that makes you perform better at his age could very well turn him into a "typical" 36-year old who scores a bunch in October - November and then struggles through the end of a season.

Hard to make that call for a guy playing in an inferior league that you probably haven't seen a lot of. Even so - the doping issue alone is reason enough for me to sign JJ over this guy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hard to make that call for a guy playing in an inferior league that you probably haven't seen a lot of. Even so - the doping issue alone is reason enough for me to sign JJ over this guy.

To be fair JJ played over there at a similar age when he left the NHL. Also to be fair Jagr is a first ballot HOFer.

If this guy would sign a 1 year deal then I'd be game. A nice depth forward who has scored elsewhere. The team is built on depth. It's another guy in the room who speaks Russian.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
JJ brings a proven pedigree and leadership. He's one of the most respected players in the history of the league. I don't want to talk down this other guy because I don't know much about him, but yeah if we're signing some old guy I'd take Jags.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Isn't Jagr signing with Calgary, or at least expected to sign there?

Signing this guy for one or two years is fine. Nothing more.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Seems like an odd and random name to be linked. Very atypical for NHL clubs to be interested in KHL stars in their late 30's. Chris Lee certainly hasn't signed yet (Though it'd be neat for our Div 3 friends down route 11 to get their first NHL alumni)

I've thought about giving guys we know have possible NHl ability for sure like Nigel Dawes, Jarkko Immonen and Matt Gilroy a shot again after KHL success, but this guy seems really random.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hm interesting, not sure what to make of it.

Zaripov has been up there as one of the better Russian players for a long time, but never the top guy outside the NHL, a little behind that group of guys. He is a bit stabby skater who got a bit of that aura since it can look like he is fighting it a bit with the puck -- but that he in a sense includes that squareness in his style as an advantage since it's hard to get a read of him. He is a good offensive player, but even if he has like 20+40 in a year, he is a scorer more than a play maker.

No matter how many pts he scored last season in the GC, Mettalurg lost the final because SKA dominated their top guys of which Zaripov was one.

Roughly in terms of what type of impact he might have -- I think he would come in under Radulov and also Zucc, but maybe not by that wide margin in relation to the later. Zaripov is also that really stubborn type. Given that durability is a concern -- I've several times over the years noticed how guys being hit with something like a long suspension doesn't exactly pick up their offseason training, it can be quite a shock, what type of shape is he in today? -- I would be surprised if it was more than either a PTO or a contract we can bury?

Is there any upside in that type of deal? Like why not. The game is about speed and offensive skill. Zaripov might not be a tremendously pretty skater, but he can surely play a speed game and he is very capable with the puck. Maybe he can help link together a depth line.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What I know about suspensions is that IIHF and NHL has agreed to respect each other's suspensions. But I don't think even a fraction of the banned substances under Wada are banned b the NHL, in NA the system is more for show and meant not to prevent doping, hence I've at least several times seen info that masking substances are not banned in the NHL (ie you can take steroids and then another substance preventing the steroids from showing in tests, steroids are banned by the NHL not the masking substances. Hence you are not banned by the NHL if tests show that you have taken a substance designed to mask the use of steroids with the steroid itself of course not showing in the test).

If a suspension regarding an offense in one location and the offense isnt illegal in the other, it's usually a schoolbook exemption. For example, a European who bolts to the SHL from the NHL is suspended by his NHL team so that they can withhold the pay check, but the player can still play in Sweden since not playin for a NHL team isn't an suspendable offense in the SHL.

I am betting Zaripov -- since it's reported that he used masking substances -- will argue that what he was caught taken isn't illegal in the NHL.

Also, the above could be a bit off. It's stuff I've learnt over the years, I could remember something incorrectly or something could be changed.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If we're signing a 35+ wing make it Jagr and not this dude.

Couldn't have said it any better. Despite his lack of speed, I can still see JJ in our jersey. PP could become lethal with he, DeAngelo and Shatty being added and the addition by subtraction of Stepan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad