Rumor: Friedman links NYR to IIHF suspended F Zaripov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Seems like a situation where the guy is highly skilled and successful in one of the best leagues in the world, but he's on the wrong side of 35 and can he adapt to a new league, less ice, and still be effective without also asking for so much money a team is trapped if he can't perform.

I'd maybe guess he'd be an effective PP player, and maybe do well in a sheltered 3rd line role getting soft minutes

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
A one year show me deal at $1.025.000 sounds totally without risk imo. Bring him, Winnik and Tkachev to Camp on similar deals and see what they all bring. L Andersson and Bo#1 also in the mix. Do the same on D. Have the players fight it out for the spots. Competition would be a very good thing here. When the smoke clears and some team(s) run into injury problems getting desperate in a November slide, Maybe then unload excess pieces (with Fast also returning) using waivers as a buffer to likely keep our assets intact. More chips for the future if we can get them. We got the contract space now. Some of our Contacts Will slide. Use it wisely. Maybe they pull a a Gerbe too if they get demoted. Solves that then and there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
A one year show me deal at $1.025.000 sounds totally without risk imo. Bring him, Winnik and Tkachev to Camp on similar deals and see what they all bring. L Andersson and Bo#1 also in the mix. Do the same on D. Have the players fight it out for the spots. Competition would be a very good thing here. When the smoke clears and some team(s) run into injury problems getting desperate in a November slide, Maybe then unload excess pieces (with Fast also returning) using waivers as a buffer to likely keep our assets intact. More chips for the future if we can get them. We got the contract space now. Some of our Contacts Will slide. Use it wisely. Maybe they pull a a Gerbe too if they get demoted. Solves that then and there.

He can't come to camp.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can't keep straight which Tkachev is the one people want, but they're both under contract to and playing games for their KHL teams. So no Tkachev this year, whichever one you're talking about. :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I hope we sign this guy. Why? The Rangers. The evil Rangers. Signing a 36 year old Russian who was banned from the KHL for using banned substances. The guy then goes on to score the Stanley Cup winning goal. All of HF as well as most of the hockey world would lose their minds.

It. Would. Be. G L O R I U S. Oh, and we would win the cup :D

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This would not be a typical Ramger signing, at all. Rangers are NHL's most solid citizens. I'd be surprised if this happens.
I certainly know nothing but just my sense. As soon as Bettman or someone in the IIHF raises an eyebrow, the Ranger Brass drops the phone, runs off wailing to their beds (all lined up in one big room) which are safe.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... As soon as Bettman or someone in the IIHF raises an eyebrow, the Ranger Brass drops the phone, runs off wailing to their beds (all lined up in one big room) which are safe.

Please help us remember these instances you recall they have slipped my mind ...

Sean Avery, Theo Fleury, Craig McTavish, Kevin Stevens, Myles Bell got a tryout, Kovacs still in the system ...
I have been missing stuff I guess

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This would not be a typical Ramger signing, at all. Rangers are NHL's most solid citizens. I'd be surprised if this happens.
I certainly know nothing but just my sense. As soon as Bettman or someone in the IIHF raises an eyebrow, the Ranger Brass drops the phone, runs off wailing to their beds (all lined up in one big room) which are safe.

Don't think there are much concern re what kind of citizen Zaripov would be. He is a great professional. He would have a negative impact from a marketing POV, and I agree that it's immortals to let him play.

But it's not something I would lose much sleep over with what's going on in the world.

As a player, I mostly have concerns over what shape he is in and how durable he can be. Over the years, when stuff like this happen, even if someone get a second chance I've before seen how they might not have kept up the training during the shock. There is no way Zaripov can miss like 6 weeks of top notch off season training and then compete in the NHL. For there to be any chcance of him succeeding he should be in perfect shape.

It's only natural -- like what the last 7-8 weeks or whatever he hasn't had any clue if he ever would play again or not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Poster Pavel Buchnevich calling him first liner in nhl

If that were the case I'd imagine more than two teams would be interested

Well, you don't know. He had 15 goals in 18 playoff games in the second best league in the world last season.

There is some overlap between the two leagues. There are a number of players in the KHL who would be really good NHL'ers. Take Radulov for example. He goes from one of the best KHL players to a good first liner in the NHL. Panarin was a first liner his first season.

Zaripov is older, but I think he'd score a lot of points, especially goals.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers have a bunch of playmakers. Not a many goalscorers.

Zaripov would be beneficial to the team.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Well, you don't know. He had 15 goals in 18 playoff games in the second best league in the world last season.

There is some overlap between the two leagues. There are a number of players in the KHL who would be really good NHL'ers. Take Radulov for example. He goes from one of the best KHL players to a good first liner in the NHL. Panarin was a first liner his first season.

Zaripov is older, but I think he'd score a lot of points, especially goals.

I'm not totally discounting it, just saying id think there'd be more than 2 teams rumored in the mid

If he's even a 3rd liner he's useful to us so I'm down

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kreider - Zib - Buchnevich
Vesey - Hayes - Nash
Zaripov - Miller - Zucc
Grabner - DD/LAndersson/Bo#1C - Puempel/Farnham (Fast)

Kreider-Zib-Buchnevich
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Miller-Zaripov
Grabner-DD-Puempel (Fast)
Boo

Seems the most likely. Knowing AV, he'll likely swap Buch/Zucc but I think he'd do that.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kreider-Zib-Buchnevich
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Miller-Zaripov
Boo

Seems the most likely. Knowing AV, he'll likely swap Buch/Zucc but I think he'd do that.

I agree with you. But I would be intrigued with Zucc feeding Zaripov - IF he still brings it - Against 3rd line competition. The Vesey-Hayes-Nash line would bring size to matchup against other teams top units. Not sure if they could handle it but worth a shot IMO. The other two lines would bring our main offense. And a 4th line with both Grabner and Fast on it would certainly offensively favor most matchups as well.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Kreider-Zib-Buchnevich
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Miller-Zaripov
Boo

This is actually decent depth and balance, if Miller were to be shifted back to 3C than Zaripov might be a solid winger for him. So I can see the rumors as plausible. Rangers lack forward depth with a Miller shift to C.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I get where Brooks coming from, but JJ is not a player that attacks off the rush. He is about slowing the pace down, drawing attention, and then getting the puck to someone who can get open. It's definitely not a reach to say that -- the less -- the play go up and down the ice with JJ on it the better for him. RIght? And our offense is built on taking a lot of chances when going up ice.

Jagr vs. Zaripov isn't something I would try to call, but I get the argument against JJ from out side. Putting JJ on the ice changes everything in terms of game plan. Everything. Zaripov? I don't know if he can do it, play in this league, but if he could it changes he game plan a lot less.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I kind of think you're investing less if you are signing a guy like Zaripov over Jagr. If it doesn't work out, you're probably not out much, and he's still nearly a decade younger than Jagr (seriously, let that sink in). Jagr may be asking for more money at this point, and part of me feels there's some baggage with him in terms of being a superstar for so long...even if he's a great teammate it still kind of has the feel of plopping a giant elephant in the room. Maybe it's good, maybe it's weird, I dunno.

Still, 45 years old. You don't know when the wheels are going to fall off. What Jagr has done is remarkable but it's not going to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad