Rumor: Friedman - Canucks will be quiet at TDL but will be big time players on July 1

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I cant wait for more marginal 15-25 point bottom 6 signings to add "depth" to this roster. Overpaid bottom 6 players, that's how you compete Jimbo, nice work.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Help what? His value is trash now anyways. He should have been moved last summer when there were teams inquiring.

How the **** can this same thing happen time after team and people keep excusing Benning!?!?!

giphy.gif

Last summer ?

Why would we put that much on Horvats plate and expose him ? So we can get a measley 3rd rnd pick ?

Last summer we didn't know what EP could trully be. Gaudette wasn't ready based on his audition..and beagle hadn't played 1 game yet. So why would we trade Sutter last year ?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
We should take on Callahan's contract for picks and prospects at this deadline. This will help the bolts add a big name player and allow them to have greater flexibility for Point and co. during the summer.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Last summer ?

Why would we put that much on Horvats plate and expose him ? So we can get a measley 3rd rnd pick ?

Last summer we didn't know what EP could trully be. Gaudette wasn't ready based on his audition..and beagle hadn't played 1 game yet. So why would we trade Sutter last year ?

Fair enough fair enough but he is blatantly redundant now, you move that contract for basically anything you can get in return. Benning should not be at the helm and the only moves he is gonna make is to shed the crap contracts he handed out, probably by giving away picks

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Fair enough fair enough but he is blatantly redundant now, you move that contract for basically anything you can get in return. Benning should not be at the helm and the only moves he is gonna make is to shed the crap contracts he handed out, probably by giving away picks

Sutter has a NTC right now that becomes modified in the summer to 15 team lost he will approve a trade to

Benning has also said on multiple occasions that he isn't trading picks tomorrow

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sutter has a NTC right now that becomes modified in the summer to 15 team lost he will approve a trade to

Benning has also said on multiple occasions that he isn't trading picks tomorrow
Not only that ..Sutter is injured, he won't get traded..I'm not expecting anything to happen tomorrow..

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
With Stone off the table, guess it's hoping the Jackets shit the bed and throw everything at Panarin.

Also expect a huge run at EK if available and possibly another reason why they got rid of Guddy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The rebuild is over? That’s the problem. That is exactly what management thinks. They are wrong. As they have been wrong nearly every step of the way since they took over.

A CONSERVATIVE estimate puts the team needing 3 top 6 wingers and at least 1 top pairing D-man, likely a couple of other D-men (or for Hughes and Juolevi to be near ceiling very quickly), an overhaul of the bottom 6 (Schaller, Granlund, Sutter, motte are guys you want moved or reserved for call up duty) and an large amount of organizational depth.

You can’t do that with just UFA signings and middling trades of terrible players.

The rebuild isn’t over and to think so puts them right square on the Oilers template.

That isn’t to say they shouldn’t try to make a top free agent acquisition or two. But they also need to be astute with who they throw the money at. And astute isn’t something this management is.

It’ll be the same as every year...most of the big names won’t make it to free agency. The ones that do will have similar contract choices and likely aren’t going to pick the bottom feeder. That will leave Benning with the B and C free agents who he will overpay on term and money.

My point is that even if you have a new GM here this summer, is he likely to move players like Sutter for draft picks? I'm not sure he will. I think a new GM would look at this roster and think there are some good building blocks in place, will have another high pick joining the organization, and just need to continue to add talent. "Rebuilding" in this scenario simply would not mean trading vets for draft picks as much as not trading futures for short term gain.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Stone off the table really hurts.

That is the problem with all these plans to draft these unicorn UFAs, most are long gone before you get a chance at them in a UFA market. They re-sign, get traded just before UFA and sign, or have already picked out their new teams a year in advance.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
If it isnt panarin and or karlsson no point signing anyone chances are we will overpay for a mediocre ufa

Agree and there is pretty much zero chance either are willing to sign here.

Canuck's have quite a bit of money to spend so we are probably looking at B/C level UFAs -- Myers, Gardiner, Simmonds, Ferland, etc.

Probably 5-6m easily for each with some nasty term.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
My point is that even if you have a new GM here this summer, is he likely to move players like Sutter for draft picks? I'm not sure he will. I think a new GM would look at this roster and think there are some good building blocks in place, will have another high pick joining the organization, and just need to continue to add talent. "Rebuilding" in this scenario simply would not mean trading vets for draft picks as much as not trading futures for short term gain.

I think a new GM would look into trading vets that won't be able to contribute meaningful roles on the team when the team is done rebuilding.

Guys like Beagle, Tanev, Edler (if he re-signs), Eriksson, Roussel, etc... should be moved out.
Vets like Hutton, Stecher, Baertschi, Virtanen, etc... should stay as they will be able to play signficant roles for the organization moving forward.

We have good building blocks but I think any sort of rebuilding requires building through the draft. Our pro scouting has shown to be unreliable and incapable of getting consistently good returns. May need an overhaul in that area before we make any big plays in July as this rumour is suggesting.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
With Stone gone, that leaves Karlsson and Panarin as the big names for July 1st. If we can't get either, then this large amount of cap space we have is meaningless. We need a first tier player. Simmonds, Gardiner, Myers, Ferland, or Zuccarello could help, but won't help much for the massive holes on this roster, and the terms they are looking to get. I'm hoping Benning goes "all in" for Karlsson or Panarin. Go big or go home.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
With Stone gone, that leaves Karlsson and Panarin as the big names for July 1st. If we can't get either, then this large amount of cap space we have is meaningless. We need a first tier player. Simmonds, Gardiner, Myers, Ferland, or Zuccarello could help, but won't help much for the massive holes on this roster, and the terms they are looking to get. I'm hoping Benning goes "all in" for Karlsson or Panarin. Go big or go home.

These guys might also want NMCs.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Agree and there is pretty much zero chance either are willing to sign here.

Canuck's have quite a bit of money to spend so we are probably looking at B/C level UFAs -- Myers, Gardiner, Simmonds, Ferland, etc.

Probably 5-6m easily for each with some nasty term.
Panarin specified the Canucks as one of two Canadian teams he was willing to be moved to. This suggests there is not a zero chance he would sign here. I'd rather he didn't if the price is 10 million a season. I had hoped for Stone and was very surprised he signed for less than 10 per.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Gardiner would be a great addition. A top 4 with him, Hughes, Edler and Tanev....sounds quite nice. Not sure how the pairings would shake out.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I would laugh so hard when we re-sign Edler, sign some bottom 4 D man (Myers?) and some middle 6 F (Ferland/Simmonds?) to big money long term contract, and then we have no money for Petterson in 2 summer because we still have Eriksson/Beagle and the new guys' big money against the cap.
Then I would cry.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Either sign Karlsson or no one. Panarin I think will just want top dollar and I'm not sure he'd justify his salary like Stone would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad