Rumor: Friedman - Canucks will be quiet at TDL but will be big time players on July 1

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I went to a game there back in 2014 and it just feels like you're at a giants game. Atmosphere wise and everything, super meh.

But, who knows what Panarin's ideal lifestyle is and if he cares about market interest in the team.

I know I certainly would be happy playing in Florida, lol
New York or San Francisco?
The Giants I go to has a better buzz than Canuck games.
Florida is where you go to retire or not be bothered...perfect place to collect cheques and be off by the beginning of April...probably the biggest joke franchise in terms of support.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Management will pay Seattle a 1st+ to ensure they take Eriksson at the Expansion Draft

Seems like a waste of a 1st. But I could see this management group doing it...

Honestly though, wouldn't you be better off just exposing him and not paying through the nose for the right to have him taken from you?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Mogilny had a degenerative hip condition, went on LTIR, and collected all of his salary.

So you have 1 example from 13 years ago and it isn’t even correct.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

I still don’t see Eriksson lasting as a Canuck much further than July 1st 2020 however. I guess we’ll see.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He may not be, but we’ll be paying though the teeth to get rid of that contract if so.

Will we really? I’m not so sure. He’ll only be owed 5 million in real dollars after July 1st 2020. If there’s a team at that time that is in Ottawa’s current situation (trying to make the cap floor) then perhaps a guy like Eriksson comes in handy.

If the Canucks are on the upswing at that time, then I don’t know if packaging Eriksson with a 2nd or a 3rd would be the most devastating thing in the world (if it came to that).

But seriously - after having just witnessed Gudbranson being traded with zero retention, I think it’s safe to say that perhaps more things are possible than we might think. ;)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Will we really? I’m not so sure. He’ll only be owed 5 million in real dollars after July 1st 2020. If there’s a team at that time that is in Ottawa’s current situation (trying to make the cap floor) then perhaps a guy like Eriksson comes in handy.

If the Canucks are on the upswing at that time, then I don’t know if packaging Eriksson with a 2nd or a 3rd would be the most devastating thing in the world (if it came to that).

But seriously - after having just witnessed Gudbranson being traded with zero retention, I think it’s safe to say that perhaps more things are possible than we might think. ;)

There is no such thing as a team taking crap contracts to get to the cap floor without a big payment coming with that crap contract.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Aren’t the Senators pretty much in that situation right now?

They’re at $44 million with Ceci, White and a couple other RFAs to sign and will surely be signing some middling Gagner/Del Zotto type UFAs to fill out their roster.

They’ll be fine.

And even if they weren’t, they’d be looking to garner a #1 pick from one of the many teams looking to shed bad salary, and not just doing us a favour.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
And even if they weren’t, they’d be looking to garner a #1 pick from one of the many teams looking to shed bad salary, and not just doing us a favour.

To your last point, I wonder if the Sens would be willing to take on Sutter and Eriksson (zero retention on our part) along with our 1st this year.

I’m not saying we should actually do this, but I think the Sens would still be willing to give us some decent prospects despite the fact that they would have to take on Erikssons’ and Sutters’ salary in its entirety.

After shedding those salaries, we could then take a massive run at Panarin + one more high ticket UFA since we’d now have the cap space.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
No, it won’t. This is not a thing. Healthy players don’t retire when they’re owed $millions.

Largely you're correct. Two exceptions to note are Markus Naslund (retired with 1 year and $4M remaining on his deal with the Rangers) and Vincent Lecavalier (whose legs were completely gone and retired with 2 years and $10M remaining on his deal - this would be my Eriksson comparable).

Anyways, if we waive Eriksson this summer I'm sure he'll retire before 2021 when that cap hit will actually matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad