Rumor: Friedman - Canucks will be quiet at TDL but will be big time players on July 1

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think Panarin would be worth the money. We're weak as hell on LW and he would be an excellent fit for our first line. That would give us a top 6 of something like...

Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-?/Goldobin/Virtanen.

Depends on Jake/Goldy shake out, but time is kinda running short. Need to prove they have top 6 upside by the end of next year, maybe even sooner. Otherwise we're going to have to hope for prospects, draft picks, or something like Lindholm to CGY. Kakko, Hughes, or Podkolzin would be f***ing heaven sent. Boldy would be nice. Don't know enough about the rest of a seemingly center heavy draft to feel excited about the rest of the field over Byram.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I think Panarin would be worth the money. We're weak as hell on LW and he would be an excellent fit for our first line. That would give us a top 6 of something like...

Depends on Jake/Goldy shake out, but time is kinda running short. Need to prove they have top 6 upside by the end of next year, maybe even sooner. Otherwise we're going to have to hope for prospects, draft picks, or something like Lindholm to CGY. Kakko, Hughes, or Podkolzin would be ****ing heaven sent. Boldy would be nice. Don't know enough about the rest of a seemingly center heavy draft to feel excited about the rest of the field over Byram.
Even Leivo is a solid option at RW.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Florida has cleared the decks for a huge offer to Panarin, in a state with incredibly low taxes. And great climate. And other star Russian-speaking forwards.

There is no chance he’s coming here.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Even Leivo is a solid option at RW.

Remiss to admit I kinda forgot about Leivo (I haven't watched the backhalf of the season as much as the first) but it would certainly be interesting to see if he has legit top 6 upside. I see him more as a scoring depth piece than anything.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Who are ahead of us in the standings.
I went to a game there back in 2014 and it just feels like you're at a giants game. Atmosphere wise and everything, super meh.

But, who knows what Panarin's ideal lifestyle is and if he cares about market interest in the team.

I know I certainly would be happy playing in Florida, lol

Reactions: Vector

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Who are ahead of us in the standings.

Shhh

In all seriousness though Florida has been bad for way longer and are still mediocre after literal decades of being outright bad. They've literally made it past the first round once since 1993. They are allergic to making the playoffs. If you honestly think I'm going to be concerned about them being literally two points ahead of us when making a joke you're crazy lol

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Kakko, Hughes, or Podkolzin would be ****ing heaven sent. Boldy would be nice. Don't know enough about the rest of a seemingly center heavy draft to feel excited about the rest of the field over Byram.

I think Panarin with Horvat would be better for our top 6 as a whole. Putting them together would give us 2 bonafide top lines with Leivo and hopefully one of the kids you mentioned Kakko, Hughes, Podkolzin or even Cozens or Dach. If we can't get one of these 5 I'd then consider taking Broberg or Byram. We need to get a top 7 pick though. Hopefully a top 5 though and this is how I'd try them. If we got one of the top 5 kids I'd put them with Elias on LW.

Panarin Horvat Leivo
????? Pettersson Boeser

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would laugh so hard when we re-sign Edler, sign some bottom 4 D man (Myers?) and some middle 6 F (Ferland/Simmonds?) to big money long term contract, and then we have no money for Petterson in 2 summer because we still have Eriksson/Beagle and the new guys' big money against the cap.
Then I would cry.

I don't think it will get as far as not having any money for Pettersson, but signing Ferland/Simmonds to a big contract will hurt them elsewhere.

Now that Benning has moved Gudbranson, I just don't want him adding another poor contract to the team. The best thing in FA might be to miss out on all of these secondary targets. It will save Benning from himself.

Help me out is this 3 or 4 straight years of being a bottom feeder that gained no significant picks/prospects at the deadline?

Yes... yes it is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Shhh

In all seriousness though Florida has been bad for way longer and are still mediocre after literal decades of being outright bad. They've literally made it past the first round once since 1993. They are allergic to making the playoffs. If you honestly think I'm going to be concerned about them being literally two points ahead of us when making a joke you're crazy lol

Sure they’ve been a bad team for ages.

But they have several excellent young players and aren’t horrible this year.

And again, between the taxes and the climate it’s one of the most desirable destinations in the NHL. They never have any trouble landing free agents.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I don't think it will get as far as not having any money for Pettersson, but signing Ferland/Simmonds to a big contract will hurt them elsewhere.

Now that Benning has moved Gudbranson, I just don't want him adding another poor contract to the team. The best thing in FA might be to miss out on all of these secondary targets. It will save Benning from himself.

Yes... yes it is.

If we had to take SOMEONE outside of the two big headliners I wouldn't mind Myers, and with Gudbranson gone I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If we had to take SOMEONE outside of the two big headliners I wouldn't mind Myers, and with Gudbranson gone I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

What do you pay Myers?

He has averaged 64 games per year over the past 7 seasons. Something to keep in mind.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
What do you pay Myers?

He has averaged 64 games per year over the past 7 seasons. Something to keep in mind.

I don't think I would want to pay him more than he's already earning tbh, and I think there's a pretty real possibility of him commanding 5-6 on the open market. That being said, if we could buy low on him at 4-4.5 per for 4 years or so I'd be pretty happy. Jets fans are a bit low on him rn which is sort of nerve-wracking though. We dont want to get strapped with too much money while we still don't have anyone young and proven on the blueline (even if the cap goes up)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't think I would want to pay him more than he's already earning tbh, and I think there's a pretty real possibility of him commanding 5-6 on the open market. That being said, if we could buy low on him at 4-4.5 per for 4 years or so I'd be pretty happy. Jets fans are a bit low on him rn which is sort of nerve-wracking though. We dont want to get strapped with too much money while we still don't have anyone young and proven on the blueline (even if the cap goes up)

To me, that's still a low estimation.

Myers' last deal was for 5.5M AAV. That was 8.55% of the cap at that time. Now granted, he didn't live up to his billing, but that's the original number. That's one aspect already working against the idea of him taking anything in the 4m AAV range.

Next, he's unlikely to get 8% of the cap now, but is 6% out of the question? No, not really. There are a dearth of good dmen in FA every year. This year, Brayden Coburn is probably his best comparable. Coburn got 5.07% of the cap on his previous short-term deal. At 29 years of age, Myers should be able to beat that CH% and get more term. If Myers gets to 6%, he's already at 5m AAV.

More than likely, teams will be working with his already established 5.5m AAV number. He has little reason to move off that number. By comparison, Stralman should have a slightly higher AAV than Myers when all is said and done, being the better Dman, and he got 6.52% of the cap on his last deal...

Basically, I expect at least 6% of the destination team's cap going to Myers... at least.

Last edited:

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
If you want to sign FA , you go for the top ones (Panarin and Karlsson) or for one year players to flip them at the deadline . If those secondary players don't want to sign those one year deals, you simply don't sign them.

Reactions: MS

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To me, that's still a low estimation.

Myers' last deal was for 5.5M AAV. That was 8.55% of the cap at that time. Now granted, he didn't live up to his billing, but that's the original number. That's one aspect already working against the idea of him taking anything in the 4m AAV range.

Next, he's unlikely to get 8% of the cap now, but is 6% out of the question? No, not really. There are a dearth of good dmen in FA every year. This year, Brayden Coburn is probably his best comparable. Coburn got 5.07% of the cap on his previous short-term deal. At 29 years of age, Myers should be able to beat that CH% and get more term. If Myers gets to 6%, he's already at 5m AAV.

More than likely, teams will be working with his already established 5.5m AAV number. He has little reason to move off that number. By comparison, Stralman should have a slightly higher AAV than Myers when all is said and done, being the better Dman, and he got 6.52% of the cap on his last deal...

Basically, I expect at least 6% of the destination team's cap going to Myers... at least.

Someone is going to give Myers a raise. They will point to some imaginary untapped potential and how he can be a 50 point D-man despite being a career 34 point pace player. How at 29 he's still in his prime with several years ahead of him. If he's paid anything less than 5 x $6 mil on the open market I'll be shocked...I can see him pushing $7 mil when all is said and done on July 1. If he is going to sign something in the $5 mil range he'll remain a Jet.

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
2 things...

Get toffoli and reunite with Pearson? Anyone know why tanner has dropped off so much this year?

Secondly, I get some of the Florida hype for players... don’t have to pay taxes so they pocket more money. As well, the warm/sunshine majority of the time too. However, and this is a big one... do you want to play in front of an empty arena most nights? They don’t exactly have a good fan base. Which to me is a big factor on being a pro athlete. And IMO this is the team that should be relocated. 2 teams in Florida is over kill.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Someone is going to give Myers a raise. They will point to some imaginary untapped potential and how he can be a 50 point D-man despite being a career 34 point pace player. How at 29 he's still in his prime with several years ahead of him. If he's paid anything less than 5 x $6 mil on the open market I'll be shocked...I can see him pushing $7 mil when all is said and done on July 1. If he is going to sign something in the $5 mil range he'll remain a Jet.

Myers is probably viewed as the second best defensemen hitting free agency by at least a portion of GMs, so yeah he's going to get a major contract. I don't think there's much risk we sign him short of egregiously overpaying (a possibility). He'll have no shortage of offers and probably by teams closer to contending with better supporting players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you want to sign FA , you go for the top ones (Panarin and Karlsson) or for one year players to flip them at the deadline . If those secondary players don't want to sign those one year deals, you simply don't sign them.

100% spot on.

Either sign an impact star player, possibly look for an under-the-radar non-pedigree guy like Nick Jensen, or go for short-term deals.

Stay the f*** away from 5-year deals to Simmonds/Zuccarello 30 y/o 50-point types who are about to fall off a cliff.

Lots of red flags with Myers.

Is getting the lowest TOI of his career and being really sheltered in Winnipeg - team-high zone start percentage at nearly 60%. And has an injury history.

But he’s the only RHS defender of any real ability available so is about to get PAID. I’m expecting a 7-year/$50 million thing to happen. Stay the hell away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad