Rumor: Friedman: Avs have asked for, and gotten, permission to talk to Kyle Dubas

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joe is holding out for Lamoriello and Hunter coming over with Dubas, before he feels like he's getting good enough value.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
So what that seems to indicate is that Toronto blocked Dubas from a promotion. Stay classy TO.

That's a massive leap. Why would they give permission in the first place? It's possible Dubas simply wasn't interested when he knows what he's apart of now and will take over eventually.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
So I've heard 2 things...

AJ and Dater said that Dubas was ready to sign with the Avs for a similar job with the promise of promotion in the near future.

Mackenzie said that upper management went over Sakic's head to interview Dubas.

Those are two very conflicting reports. I don't know if we have the full truth yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So I've heard 2 things...

AJ and Dater said that Dubas was ready to sign with the Avs for a similar job with the promise of promotion in the near future.

Those are two very conflicting reports. I don't know if we have the full truth yet.

Think about the names of the sources you just listed.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm a huge supporter of BSN and truly believe they have sources inside the Avs. But McKenzie is #1 here.

I wouldn't put it pas Toronto to be feeding some less than truthful information to McKenzie , but the things Bob said make Toronto look even worse so I have no idea.

Don't go crazy over it, it's not happening anyway.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

No he didn't. He said that ownership asked for permission to talk to him. For all we know, Sakic could go have asked ownership to ask for permission.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Josh was truly going over Sakic to get rid of him then that's absolutely something you don't go halfway with.

That is why I don't think it happened that way. I can see ownership taking the lead for Sakic's replacement, but I bet Sakic gave his blessing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Am I missing something here? Isn't it completely standard for the president of a team (Josh Kroenke) to ask for permission to talk to another teams front office member?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Am I missing something here? Isn't it completely standard for the president of a team (Josh Kroenke) to ask for permission to talk to another teams front office member?

Yes and no... standard procedure in a lot of ways. GMs typically take over for lower front office jobs... assistant GM, head scout, etc. Presidents for higher jobs like GMs, President of Hockey Ops, etc.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Something to consider is maybe Josh was involved because of the Nuggets personnel that went to TOR a bit ago? Maybe that relationship was established already. Really don't see it being more than that. Someone even mentioned they had a past relationship in dealings like this.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yes and no... standard procedure in a lot of ways. GMs typically take over for lower front office jobs... assistant GM, head scout, etc. Presidents for higher jobs like GMs, President of Hockey Ops, etc.

The ownership groups had previous contacts when Ujiri went to Raptors as well.

I'm sure if McKenzie wanted to imply that Avs went behind the back of Sakic trying to replace him he would say so. That would be the story here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The ownership groups had previous contacts when Ujiri went to Raptors as well.

I'm sure if McKenzie wanted to imply that Avs went behind the back of Sakic trying to replace him he would say so.

And Ujiri went to the highest level basketball position in the organization. That makes sense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well, Dreger just went and made this thing even more strange with his comments today. He said the Leafs gave the Avs permission to speak with Dubas because they believed the two sides were going to swap philosophical ideas or work on analytics but they didn't think the Avs were trying to actually hire Dubas.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well, Dreger just went and made this thing even more strange with his comments today. He said the Leafs gave the Avs permission to speak with Dubas because they believed the two sides were going to swap philosophical ideas or work on analytics but they didn't think the Avs were trying to actually hire Dubas.

That sounds like BS to me. Probably trying to save face for blocking a possible promotion.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

That sounds like a load of BS, and Toronto once again using Dreger. "Oh...you mean...you meant you wanted to hire our guy?! We thought you just asked permission to have a few drinks! Well in that case we just have to say no, sorry for the big misunderstanding!"

This only reinforces what Friedman said in my view. Avs like Dubas, Dubas liked the Avs, Avs offered him the job, and Toronto suddenly revoked permission. Kind of pathetic on their part, all in all.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That sounds like a load of BS, and Toronto once again using Dreger. "Oh...you mean...you meant you wanted to hire our guy?! We thought you just asked permission to have a few drinks! Well in that case we just have to say no, sorry for the big misunderstanding!"

This only reinforces what Friedman said in my view. Avs like Dubas, Dubas liked the Avs, Avs offered him the job, and Toronto suddenly revoked permission. Kind of pathetic on their part, all in all.

If all that is true, the only thing that doesn't add up is why Dubas would sign an extension with the Leafs when all he needed to do was wait until his deal expired and then sign with the Avs. There are still missing pieces to this story.

If I was under contract and the team I worked for gave permission for me to talk with another club about a position, [let's face it...that's the ONLY REASON you even need permission] and I worked out an agreement for a PROMOTION and my employer lifted the rug up from under me...I'd be pretty upset and I certainly wouldn't sign a contract extension when it's set to expire in a few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad