Rumor: Friedman: Avs have asked for, and gotten, permission to talk to Kyle Dubas

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Because they have a lease before buying approach to this and they don't realize that the best candidates want nothing to do with a sideways move.

It's just another example of indecisiveness and half hearted attempts. They don't seem to have the conviction to get things done. They're in on loads of college free agents and never get any of them. The whole Duchene thing where he's been in limbo for well over a year. Now this.

It's not like Dubas sacrifice anything here. He's taking a "call me when you are ready to get a GM" approach.

No, I'm saying just give him the damn GM title. He doesn't actually have to do anymore than what was originally offered.
To Toronto he is the GM and it's a non lateral move, to Colorado they get their man and get to let him revamp things before taking full control.

Why does Sakic have no balls? I mean damn. Lie if you have to, how is Toronto gonna ****ing know?

I know it's a moot point now but sheesh.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What would you say he does here?

e598f076eeebcbef9109758e23a6064053df405db2cc7438f191b0a20dbbb80b.jpg

He's the GM of the Rampage and in charge of development.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I wonder if it is the same people saying "grow some balls and give Dubas the GM job already" and complaining about the supposed "prove it for a year" approach that Sakic is purportedly taking to this situation are the same ones that whined and moaned about giving the Head Coach job to an unproven Bednar.

Bear in mind that BOTH had just come from years that they helmed their respective AHL clubs to great seasons, with enviable development systems to which they were seen as integral.

But no hypocrisy here, ever....

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I wonder if it is the same people saying "grow some balls and give Dubas the GM job already" and complaining about the supposed "prove it for a year" approach that Sakic is purportedly taking to this situation are the same ones that whined and moaned about giving the Head Coach job to an unproven Bednar.

Bear in mind that BOTH had just come from years that they helmed their respective AHL clubs to great seasons, with enviable development systems to which they were seen as integral.

Nope. No complaints about Bednar, then. Maybe learn some posters history before trying to talk **** about them.

Funny that you bring Bednar up though. Just another example of Sakic not doing something until he had no choice. Sakic wasn't proactive. He didn't fire Roy to bring in his guy. Roy walked and Sakic was forced to do something.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Nope. No complaints about Bednar, then. Maybe learn some posters history before trying to talk **** about them.

Funny that you bring Bednar up though. Just another example of Sakic not doing something until he had no choice. Sakic wasn't proactive. He didn't fire Roy to bring in his guy. Roy walked and Sakic was forced to do something.

I wasn't talking **** about anyone. Notice I did not name anyone, or quote anyone.
So get off your high ****ing horse, and keep your dander down. I do not have the time or desire to hunt through folks' posting history to track down their opinion on various matters. I have a general idea of where most regulars stand, but in general, it is not important enough for me to keep up with exactly how each of the dozens of posters here feel about each issue. I know TV loves her some kids and picks. I know GtG follows and scouts goalies. And other general trends. But beyond the rough basics, I do not care enough about who says what to keep track in order to specifically call them out...and I was not trying to call anyone specific out with my post.

I was legitimately asking...because the sentiment that they bring in an established NHL coach is pretty widespread....but so is the hope that they bring in one of these guys with zero NHL GM experience. So I figure there has to be some crossover, and I want those folks to do some self examination. Are they *****ing about Bednar being a rookie, and they advocating for a rookie GM. Is that not hypocrisy? If not, why not? If there are folks that are doing both of those, then they need to ask themselves why...are they doing it just to ***** and vent steam from a poor season? Are they falling into a pattern that nothing is every going to be the right move by this team? Are they just trolling? I am not asking for my own knowledge, but to prompt them to think about it. I already know how I view it, and some of them have been ignored. The fact that you have not been means I do not place you specifically in that group.

As for your last post previous to this exchange. Sakic hiring Bednar proved a couple things. First, that he is not afraid to take a risk on an under-proven suit. The gamble may not have paid off, but he did make that bet, so we cannot say he does not have the balls to try it. It also went against the commonly held belief that the Avs will only hire from within, or legacy type coaches/execs. They have also busted the myth that they will not draft Europeans in the first. Or that they will not go after Russians, or college players, or pretty much any of those fallacies. The last one to fall will be drafting a D with an early first, and if Heiskanen is there at 4, I think it falls this year.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Didn't have an issue with the Bednar hire, still don't.
We were ****ed given the timing and I felt Bednar was the best long term fit.

I want to see him have his team and his staff in place.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I wasn't talking **** about anyone. Notice I did not name anyone, or quote anyone.
So get off your high ****ing horse, and keep your dander down. I do not have the time or desire to hunt through folks' posting history to track down their opinion on various matters. I have a general idea of where most regulars stand, but in general, it is not important enough for me to keep up with exactly how each of the dozens of posters here feel about each issue. I know TV loves her some kids and picks. I know GtG follows and scouts goalies. And other general trends. But beyond the rough basics, I do not care enough about who says what to keep track in order to specifically call them out...and I was not trying to call anyone specific out with my post.

I was legitimately asking...because the sentiment that they bring in an established NHL coach is pretty widespread....but so is the hope that they bring in one of these guys with zero NHL GM experience. So I figure there has to be some crossover, and I want those folks to do some self examination. Are they *****ing about Bednar being a rookie, and they advocating for a rookie GM. Is that not hypocrisy? If not, why not? If there are folks that are doing both of those, then they need to ask themselves why...are they doing it just to ***** and vent steam from a poor season? Are they falling into a pattern that nothing is every going to be the right move by this team? Are they just trolling? I am not asking for my own knowledge, but to prompt them to think about it. I already know how I view it, and some of them have been ignored. The fact that you have not been means I do not place you specifically in that group.

As for your last post previous to this exchange. Sakic hiring Bednar proved a couple things. First, that he is not afraid to take a risk on an under-proven suit. The gamble may not have paid off, but he did make that bet, so we cannot say he does not have the balls to try it. It also went against the commonly held belief that the Avs will only hire from within, or legacy type coaches/execs. They have also busted the myth that they will not draft Europeans in the first. Or that they will not go after Russians, or college players, or pretty much any of those fallacies. The last one to fall will be drafting a D with an early first, and if Heiskanen is there at 4, I think it falls this year.

You straight up quoted what I said. You might not have quoted my post, but you straight up put what I wrote in quotes. And now you want to act like you were not talking about me?:shakehead

High horse? Dander? You are just talking more **** now. And you expect me to believe you meant no ill will before?

You were not ligitimitely asking a question. Legit question don't invove smartass comments about hypocrisy.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I posted this on the trade thread but this was on the Bobcast yesterday:

...and interesting going ons there where my pal Elliote Freidman first reported that Colorado had asked permission to talk to Kyle Dubas the assistant GM with the Toronto Maple Leafs and it's going to be facinating, Dubas is not going to Colorado, but here is my understanding very quickly. The contact being made was from Colorado ownership and that the contact with the leafs and Dubas was in hopes of getting Dubas to come in and run the entire hockey operations of the Colorado Avalanche. So what that means for everyone else there and what the timing is I'm not sure. What we do know now is that Dubas is not going to Colorado so facinating stuff on that front.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
lol beat you ;)

I guess Josh should be taken with a grain of salt when he does interviews with the DP. Wonder what Sakic thinks about all this.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wouldn't jump to that. My guess is they laid a pretty lucrative offer on the table.

Would you take more money to be a GM in the AHL, or take the head of hockey operations for an NHL club? Maybe we're jumping to conclusions, but this came straight from McKenzie.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I wouldn't jump to that. My guess is they laid a pretty lucrative offer on the table.

this was always my assumption as well. He might not be given the title of GM for the Leafs, but that doesnt mean he won't get paid similar to GM with the leafs. They don't seem to be afraid of shelling out big contracts to the front office

edit: this would also mitigate the risk of failing in a gm role if he still isn't completely ready. the blame wouldn't fall on him even if he was assuming most of the gm duties

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would you take more money to be a GM in the AHL, or take the head of hockey operations for an NHL club?

We have no idea if that's the role Dubas will continue to take on in Toronto next year.

As for your question, it probably depends on money.

- 5 million to continue to run the MArlies and potentially be next in line to be the GM of arguably the best future team in the NHL?

- 500K to take over the mess in Colorado on the day that Free Agency opens?

I'll take the Toronto job quite easily. In fact I'd probably take the Leafs job even if the money is equal.

We have no idea what money figures are offered or where he stands in the leafs. All we know is that he was offered to run hockey ops in Denver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad