Rumor: Friedman: Avs have asked for, and gotten, permission to talk to Kyle Dubas

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Caught up on the podcast this morning, so AJ and Dater each say they have their own source that says Dubas actually wanted the job but Toronto wouldn't let him take it because it wasn't a clear promotion.

They also said the plan was for Dubas to take over San Antonio and the farm systems with the intention of being groomed into the GM over a 1-3 year span. I guess that means Sakic is actually planning on phasing himself out (or up) in the not-so-distant future.

To add to this, I agree with AJ's take that now that this is out there, there really has to be follow-up on it. To do nothing, now that it's known that they were trying to add to the Staff and even phase Billington out, would be a bad move.

I guess we'll have to see how this unfolds.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I guess we can probably expect the same plan if they truly are interviewing Paul Fenton.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe not all offers would be lateral moves (like the one for Dubas, apparently). Maybe for people who have been AGM's for a while now with an organization with a good track record there's the possibility of getting offered the GM job right away.

We'll have to see.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
To add to this, I agree with AJ's take that now that this is out there, there really has to be follow-up on it. To do nothing, now that it's known that they were trying to add to the Staff and even phase Billington out, would be a bad move.

I guess we'll have to see how this unfolds.

Agreed. This also has to put the assistants on this team in a rough spot. Billington's job is to manage development and the minor league system...and yet now it's out there that they were openly courting his replacement. That tells him he isn't wanted here. It also tells MacFarland that, if he had any notions of being Sakic's replacement, those hopes are probably dead. Honestly, at this point, if they clearly aren't happy with Billington and want to replace him, they should just fire him. Trying to find his replacement before phasing him out is too unrealistic.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If Dubas wanted the job then he doesn't sign the extension, simple as that.

You know, I thought the same thing when I heard that he wanted the job. Does anyone know when his contract is actually up and he can sign with another team. I wouldn't rule that possibility out.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Toronto likely offered him significantly more money to stay AGM than anyone else would. Moving to a new organization as a GM would likely get him released (wouldn't be surprised if there are terms in his extension along those lines).

It's a win-win for Dubas, it's like telling your current employer about an offer from another company and them paying you more. You can leave later still and you have good job security still.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know, I thought the same thing when I heard that he wanted the job. Does anyone know when his contract is actually up and he can sign with another team. I wouldn't rule that possibility out.

June 30th unless he secretly signed an extension

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Mirtle said he signed an extension. Friedman also said something similiar.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

And what if he doesn't sign the extension and the Avs hire one of the other candidates during the time when he's not allowed to talk to them?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And what if he doesn't sign the extension and the Avs hire one of the other candidates during the time when he's not allowed to talk to them?

Why would the Avs hire someone else if he's their top candidate and has informed them that he'll sign with the Avs as soon as his contract expires?...assuming that was his intention...

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Why would the Avs hire someone else if he's their top candidate and has informed them that he'll sign with the Avs as soon as his contract expires?...assuming that was his intention...

Sorry I didn't know he was their top candidate or that they had already agreed that he'll sign with the Avs. I guess it's a done deal then, let's just wait for it :)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea that's what I don't get. If Dubas was fine with taking the AGM role like both their sources say, with a handshake to become the next GM (assuming that's the case) why did he re-sign with Toronto? The ball was pretty much in his court to do whatever he wanted.

I don't see why Toronto would be willing to let him go, knowing Hunter's the next GM, and then dump a boatload of cash on Dubas to talk him out of being AGM in the Western conference. That doesn't add up either to me.

I don't think AJ, Dater, and Friedman are being told the whole story. Something's missing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Dubas really wanted the job he would tell Avs to wait until July and then just hire him. Dubas wouldn't sign an extension with Toronto.

Don't buy the line that he wanted the exact same job as he already has in Toronto with the difference of being mentored by Sakic instead of Lamoriello, Babcock and others.

Sounds like damage control from the Avs camp, via the Dater mouthpiece, more than anything.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe the Avs wanted him for the draft, and Toronto shut that down? Maybe they came to an agreement that Dubas would resign for one year and continue helping the Leafs, then come to the Avs next year as GM?

I think Sakic just wants to be the guy to set the table for the next rebuild, so he's not only known as the guy who dug the hole, but helped dig their way out of it. If they were more a bubble team than the laughing stock of the league this year, I'd bet he was planning on moving up to President this summer, rather than next like it seems now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Has this been substantiated anywhere? Or just HFSpeculation?

AJ sort of hinted at it.

That's why I think the Avs got a bit used. Maybe Dubas genuinely had interest but then the extremely public leak, which never would have come from two air tight orgs and after the fact too coupled with the he already signed an extension anyway, that's where I think the root of this story belongs.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
See, here's the thing, in that scenario, why in the hell don't you just name him GM and get your guy?

Exactly. You want him for the draft(s) and to be fully immersed for a critically important offseason? Then do it, Joe, go get him as your GM. And you certainly don't wait until the contract expires on June 30th.

Wonder how Billington and MacFarland feel about their jobs right now.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
See, here's the thing, in that scenario, why in the hell don't you just name him GM and get your guy?

Because Joe doesn't have the balls to take a chance on someone like that. They have to prove it first. Which by then it's too late.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Because they have a lease before buying approach to this and they don't realize that the best candidates want nothing to do with a sideways move.

It's just another example of indecisiveness and half hearted attempts. They don't seem to have the conviction to get things done. They're in on loads of college free agents and never get any of them. The whole Duchene thing where he's been in limbo for well over a year. Now this.

It's not like Dubas sacrifice anything here. He's taking a "call me when you are ready to get a GM" approach.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Considering Billington could make it through nuclear war with his job intact, he's probably not too worried.

What would you say he does here?

e598f076eeebcbef9109758e23a6064053df405db2cc7438f191b0a20dbbb80b.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad