Friedman: Friedman and Marek - 'If the Canucks decide to move Schenn they will receive a lot'

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The list wasn't one of age, term or cap.

Just players nobody thought were worth what they got. I remember lurking through all those threads.

I guess I remember it a bit differently on a couple of them. A late 1st for a top 6 F or a top 4 D with 3-4 years on their deals aren't unreasonable returns. Not worth debating though as I'm sure there were plenty of fans that didn't think they were worth it.

HF posters are also funny creatures. :laugh:
The Miller thread last year is a perfect example. Everyone thought they were gonna get the moon for him, yet a guy like chiarot and copp got the return instead for another team.

GMs are funny creatures
agree. I think sometimes for top end guys like Miller, GMs are holding out for too much and they don't get moved. GMs do overpay at the deadline in general.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Schenn is the perfect player for any contender because
He makes close to League min
He is able to play top 4 minutes if someone is injuried
Brings leadership and physicality
Right Shot/ Right side Dman
Surpisingly isnt a offensive liability
on an expiring contract
and has a lot of Playoff/Cup experience

I can definitely see teams fighting each other to get him at the TDL. He is literally the perfect complimentary piece to a team that already has a set Top 4 and just needs some extra depth

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like Luke, and we can't move him or else, Hughes, Petey will get bullied, not kidding.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think the Bolts would do well with him again, not sure how they’d work it tho
It'd probably work the same as his prior runs with them - 8-10 minutes per night in half of the team's playoff games.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Plus at only $850,000, contenders can actually fit him in.

Never mind the haters laughing at this, that's a big part of why he's going to get so much interest and probably fetch considerably more than his skill level warrants.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Luke Schenn isn't the guy you give a 1st for.

Maybe not.. but then, that is his current value to the Canucks. At least for now. He's doing a great job with Hughes.

Amazing to see all these years into his career, him find a groove like this.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Amazing to see him revive his career. The guy is a pro with a lot of experience, brings the intensity every night. Right side to boot!

At his league minimum he’d be a good depth add for a contending team.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Guy is all kinds of mean on the ice. Not great puck skills, but has paired quite nicely beside Hughes for a couple seasons. That being said, he’s best suited for third pairing deployment as his puck skills and skating are below average, but so long he plays his role (which he does very well) he’s a valuable asset to any team looking for some b@lls on the back end.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Well, all I know is that Schenn is playing with Quinn Hughes (+/- 0), Schenn is +8, is our best defensive Dman, and is tied for 13 and 14 in all RHD in the league, while playing 17:46 minutes a game. If I am Rutherford or Alvin, I am moving him at the TDL and telling his agent we are circling back around in the summer.

Trade values changes a little every year, but I am wagering the return will be a minimum 2nd and a B-prospect.

Personally, If I am Rutherford and Alvin, I am putting up at 50% retained, which will be approx. $150,000 at the TDL. That is almost free, for a Defensive Dman, who has playoff experience, 2 cup rings, is a no drama guy, who can fight, is playing well, and knows his roll. A true professional.

We will see what happens.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Luke Schenn isn't the guy you give a 1st for.
but Chairot is??? why would Canucks move their 1st pairing $829K dman that hits like a mack truck? He is worth more to Canucks especially since we lack D.

Well, all I know is that Schenn is playing with Quinn Hughes (+/- 0), Schenn is +8, is our best defensive Dman, and is tied for 13 and 14 in all RHD in the league, while playing 17:46 minutes a game. If I am Rutherford or Alvin, I am moving him at the TDL and telling his agent we are circling back around in the summer.

Trade values changes a little every year, but I am wagering the return will be a minimum 2nd and a B-prospect.

Personally, If I am Rutherford and Alvin, I am putting up at 50% retained, which will be approx. $150,000 at the TDL. That is almost free, for a Defensive Dman, who has playoff experience, 2 cup rings, is a no drama guy, who can fight, is playing well, and knows his roll. A true professional.

We will see what happens.
This is stupid. Why do we have to retain everytime we trade when we actually need cap space to re-sign guys? You like dead cap space?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek, noted Vancouver shills. Said the Rangers were all over JT Miller to drive up his value, the Rangers were never in on him lmao. This is more of the same stuff.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
but Chairot is??? why would Canucks move their 1st pairing $829K dman that hits like a mack truck? He is worth more to Canucks especially since we lack D.

This is stupid. Why do we have to retain everytime we trade when we actually need cap space to re-sign guys? You like dead cap space?

Nope Chairot isn't the guy either and I said it when it happened that it was to much.

I was afraid the Leafs were going to do it because there was talk of it and I didn't want it, not at the price of at 1st and it wasn't because I didn't want to move the 1st or even that I didn't want Chairot but I didn't think Chairot was worth a 1st.

I think we can both agree they made a better deal for Giordano.

In Schenn case I do want him back but I don't think he gets a 1st from anybody

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Chiarot showed that he could handle 23+min in the playoff Schenn can’t even play 20 in the regular season, he has two cup playing 10min per game basic just fill a jersey there is a reason there a reason he is making less than 1M$, he is not a top 4 D that being said VAN should trade him 33yo UFA at the end of the years this isn’t a core player they might not get a 1st but someone will over paid for big physical D doing into the playoff. Retaining doesn’t affect Vancouver ability to sign anyone since he will be a UFA, but it might help get better return…

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Chiarot trade comparison is off. Schenn is basically an extremely solid third pairing guy with every intangible imaginable. He rarely plays more than 16 minutes a game and gets sheltered against faster players.

The actual trade comparison is something similar to Brett Kulak: 2nd, 7th, and fungible depth player/contract.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
same draft class as tyler myers. trade him to a playoff team for a late 1st or a 2nd and circle back in the offseason 1y 2 yr 1million dollar deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad