Friedman: Friedman and Marek - 'If the Canucks decide to move Schenn they will receive a lot'

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
The Chiarot trade comparison is off. Schenn is basically an extremely solid third pairing guy with every intangible imaginable. He rarely plays more than 16 minutes a game and gets sheltered against faster players.

The actual trade comparison is something similar to Brett Kulak: 2nd, 7th, and fungible depth player/contract.
I am guessing this is based on his previous seasons?

These are the actual stats for this season. He is playing quite a bit more than 16 minutes in most of his games.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I am guessing this is based on his previous seasons?

These are the actual stats for this season. He is playing quite a bit more than 16 minutes in most of his games.

It’s actually based on about 5 or so games ago. He averaged about 16:30 a game. Canucks have been dealing with in-game injuries to their defensemen and that’s elevated his ice time. There’s also the odd factor of when Stillman plays, Schenn plays more, when Burroughs plays, Schenn plays less. Stillman has been playing, and he’s very bad, so Schenn’s ice time has climbed. You can see this if you look at the Canucks defensemen average TOI, Schenn is only above Stillman but 6th overall.

Regardless, on a playoff team you wouldn’t want him playing much more than 16-17 minutes. He lacks foot speed and can get exposed by fast players.

Overall, has been excellent though. Strong as an ox, actually good at moving the puck out of the zone efficiently, let’s his partner cheat offensively, and is a leader in the locker room.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Schenn was good on the Lightning, would take him back easily. Fills that #5/6 role perfectly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Friedman and Marek on the Marek show:

Friedman hints and speculates that Rutherford is getting alot of calls on Schenn

Also some paraprhasing quotes

Marek- "The way Schenn plays is valued and treasured by every team in the NHL."

Friedman " every team trying to win a Stanley Cup will want this guy"

It seems Schenn's value is at an all time high.... should the Canucks trade him now whether they are in a playoff hunt or not?

Auction would probably start at 2nd round pick.

Veteran defenseman at deadline go for crazy prices

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
but Chairot is??? why would Canucks move their 1st pairing $829K dman that hits like a mack truck? He is worth more to Canucks especially since we lack D.

This is stupid. Why do we have to retain everytime we trade when we actually need cap space to re-sign guys? You like dead cap space?

For posting about the Canucks so much, you really don't have much of an idea about contract structures.

As in, Schenn is a UFA after this season.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Having a lot of Hits is like the biggest antithesis to what a quality player actually is.

What it really means is when you're on the ice, you don't have the puck.

Shhh that doesn't matter because that's an observation of stat nerds who don't know anything. The good old eye test says lots of light bumps registered as hits because you are chasing the puck>>>shots on goal and goals

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
33 years old? Seems like he’s been around forever. I thought he was older tbh.
He’s a bit of a throwback style who hits a lot and mostly stays at home so works well with Hughes. Would be a great add for most contending teams.

He made the Leafs in 2008 right after he was drafted which is already 14 years ago.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Soooo your running on the assumption that whoever trades for him expects a top pairing dman?
Not at all...

But a guy who was a #7 on a championship team. And I would add with only ~10mins a night, he couldn't have been a particularly 'trusted' #7... I find it hard to believe he's some hot commodity worthy of a 1st.

Stranger things have happened I suppose, but that was some over the top praise of a guy who is somewhere between a #5 and a #7.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Not at all...

But a guy who was a #7 on a championship team. And I would add with only ~10mins a night, he couldn't have been a particularly 'trusted' #7... I find it hard to believe he's some hot commodity worthy of a 1st.

Stranger things have happened I suppose, but that was some over the top praise of a guy who is somewhere between a #5 and a #7.
The lightning were stacked though, hence why he only played 10 mins a night, I certainly don't expect to get a 1st for him, but a player like him is definitely a commodity, because of his position, his cap hit, leadership, defensive abilities, and the fact that he hits a lot.

Reactions: bucks_oil

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
For posting about the Canucks so much, you really don't have much of an idea about contract structures.

As in, Schenn is a UFA after this season.
so? if he is a UFA that means we trade them? Do we also trade Hughes and Petersson when they get close to UFA?

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
33 years old? Seems like he’s been around forever. I thought he was older tbh.
He’s a bit of a throwback style who hits a lot and mostly stays at home so works well with Hughes. Would be a great add for most contending teams.
I still think of him as the young up and coming Leaf that was touted as a future captain but never quite took the next step. So it’s all concept. I was surprised to hear he’s 33. It makes sense since I’m now a father in my thirties as well though…dang I’ve been here for awhile.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He will get a 2nd from a playoff team 49-64 pick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a small sweetener on top of that from a team that is flush with injuries or super tight to the cap. Maybe a btm 6 type prospect to secure his services

The only way he gets a 1st is if a few contenders are desperate due to injuries and it gets bid up

I thought when we got him he was just a depth character guy but he's been excellent in a mostly top4 role. Kinda cool that he just became the all time hits leader. Plays the game hard and makes reliable plays. Just not a fast skater but first few steps are quick and powerful which is more important.

Is a perfect 3rd pair guy on a contender. Wont cost you and will make the opponents pay a huge price to try and get to the net or come out of corners with pucks. For once the Canucks made a value move that paid off big time. He will be a big loss if they move him but it's probably the smart move considering where the team is at and his age plus he wont be as cheap this summer.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
A first would be great but I doubt it.

I'd be satisfied with a 2nd and 5th, recouping the lost picks from the Bear and Dickinson trades.

Anything of higher value than that is gravy.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Having a lot of Hits is like the biggest antithesis to what a quality player actually is.

What it really means is when you're on the ice, you don't have the puck.
Well, it also means that, when you're on the ice, the opposing players don't have the puck for long. Most of the time that players are on the ice, they don't have the puck. When they don't and the other team does, though, what are they doing? Are they chasing or letting the other team have possession or are they trying to get the puck back? Hitting is one way to get the puck back. For 6 straight years, while Sutter was coaching, LA was top-2 in the league in both hits and possession. To be fair, there have been high-hitting teams in the cellar, as well, but those teams had lots of issues and probably tried to hit to make up for them. Teams that have few weaknesses but also hit a lot are very hard to play against, especially in the playoffs, so it's not surprising that contenders value hitters, such as Schenn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A first would be great but I doubt it.

I'd be satisfied with a 2nd and 5th, recouping the traded picks for Bear and the ghastly Dickinson trade.

Anything of higher value than that is gravy.
If other moves happen, I'd be unsurprised with a 1st+cap dump, but as a stand alone trade, a 2nd+5th would be acceptable.

Or Schenn being included as part of some mega deal with Garland or Boeser or Kuzmenko (I don't envy the team paying for Kuz+Schenn though) would light this forum up.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably. Trading high picks for guys at the deadline that could have been signed at or near league minimum during free agency is a very typical GM thing to do.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
so? if he is a UFA that means we trade them? Do we also trade Hughes and Petersson when they get close to UFA?

Do you actively try to misunderstand? Your initial concern was about dead cap and signing or re-signing players.

Let's break this down for you since you seem intent on misunderstanding.

Say you trade Schenn at 50% retained before game 1 of the season. You therefore now have 425 000 'dead cap' until his contract expires, which would be June 30, 2023.

New contracts cannot take effect until July 1, 2023. A day after the 'dead cap' taken up by Luke Schenn expires. Therefore retaining on a UFA literally cannot affect future cap.

So no doubt you are trying to find a way to explain how creating dead cap by retaining on a UFA prevents the Canucks from signing or re-signing X or Y player. And unless you think the Canucks are going to sign a UFA mid-season, the dead cap is therefore irrelevant as it expires before new contracts are able to come into force.

I look forward to you completely ignoring this post.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek, noted Vancouver shills. Said the Rangers were all over JT Miller to drive up his value, the Rangers were never in on him lmao. This is more of the same stuff.
Didn't it come out that they offered Lundqvist, Chytil and a 2022 1st for Miller and we turned it down wanting Schneider or bust?

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We go from we won’t get much for boeser but we will get a lot for schenn, yea let’s see how this gong show of a season for the Canucks goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad