Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Our PP1 will be fine when Buff is healthy and Laine returns to his office and returns to form. All PP’s go cold for stretches. When Laine is back shooting over 15% things will magically sort themselves out.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Our PP1 will be fine when Buff is healthy and Laine returns to his office and returns to form. All PP’s go cold for stretches. When Laine is back shooting over 15% things will magically sort themselves out.
No they won't, because Laine and Buff are not the problem or missing pieces right now. By now the whole friggin' league knows that just need to put extra pressure on Wheeler and seal the boards, and our 1PP is pretty much disarmed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed, Connor at the moment is serving very little purpose on the PP. When people talk of needing more options, there it is. How many PP goals have the Jets given up of late by a deflection in front? Been awhile since I've seen the Jets even try it, let alone score. They do need to try and open up a lane from the middle for Buff though. Other than Laine the whole PP has become so right side centric. It basically operates in 1/3rd of the zone.
Totally agree with you , i can't remember the last time Connor even passed the puck to Laine from behind the net on the PP . If Connor is going to be there he should try and pass it sort of like Gretzky did when Gretzky was behind the net . I know Connor isn't Gretzky but it's the idea of being able to pass to both sides of the ice , not just back and forth with Wheeler .

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Learning lots from this last sequence of posts. I wonder if handedness is an issue also. A lefty on the half wall, even if cycling into that position now and then, as KC was doing for a bit there back when he was playing well on the PP, adds an additional level of threat and options, both passing and shooting. It’s a lost cause but it would be nice to see Petan in there for a game or two.

For all his flaws, Myers is a decent option on the PP as long as he has backup. He can be a surprisingly subtle passer, stronger than Trouba in that aspect of his game IMO.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Learning lots from this last sequence of posts. I wonder if handedness is an issue also. A lefty on the half wall, even if cycling into that position now and then, as KC was doing for a bit there back when he was playing well on the PP, adds an additional level of threat and options, both passing and shooting. It’s a lost cause but it would be nice to see Petan in there for a game or two.

For all his flaws, Myers is a decent option on the PP as long as he has backup. He can be a surprisingly subtle passer, stronger than Trouba in that aspect of his game IMO.
He has an awful shot but I'll say this about Myers, he's very good at walking the blue line and also is very adept at alluding pressure and driving a lane. I just don't think he'd attract much attention up there though, most PK units would be fine just letting him shoot.

Reactions: Jets 31

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It isn't about personnel. The whole league has adjusted to our PP1 style. Basically we have 5 guys each go to their marks and stand there passing the puck around until a lane opens. So the PK's are now doing the same. Very little movement. Just stay in those lanes. The PP1 needs to be more dynamic, IMO. Move around so that they are passing to and from different spots. Get the PK reacting. Then opportunities will open up.

That is what PP2 was doing so successfully. Until Mau moved Roslovic off of it, which seemed to make both units worse.

Disagree with the bolded. Teams have been very aggressive on Wheeler.
They are literally double teaming him and we have been coughing up the puck a lot.
Us standing around is fairly true.

I've found it odd the last couple of months that Laine (when in his "office") often hides behind their PK angles.
Often I see a lot of space a bit further out from the net (a place he's scored a ton from) but he's not really reacting to the lanes. Perhaps he's being told to stay tighter to the net (NOT SURE WHY). This eventually leads to Wheeler trying to thread too tight of a needle. Many of those pucks are at a minimum being deflected which either clears the puck or forces Laine to settle it down (which creates a chance to pressure him and cause a clear) and pass it back.
Rinse and repeat. The Jets need to find a way to capitalize on the Wheeler double team.
It's literally a 4 on 2 outside of that.

The PK strategy against PP1 seems to be pretty consistent.
In a "take what they give you" offensive philosophy we should be able to counter this ploy.

One of Wheeler's biggest weaknesses is handling the puck when he is standing still.
I've seen him fumble it so many times in these situations compared to his control when he's moving.
Our static formation combined with the PK double team and Wheeler's static fumbling are a recipe for disaster.

Of course having your top PP goal scorer go dry for 2 months doesn't help.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
No they won't, because Laine and Buff are not the problem or missing pieces right now. By now the whole friggin' league knows that just need to put extra pressure on Wheeler and seal the boards, and our 1PP is pretty much disarmed.

Sort of true except Laine has had some really good looks on the PP before demotion and since he went back.
A few of those chances could have gone in and that would change the complexion of a couple of our losses and how our PP is doing.

The PP should be able to adjust to the PK tactics.
Teams have killed us by pressuring Wheeler for a few weeks now and I don't see a single change outside of personnel who are trying the same tactics.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Petan is several injuries away from getting on the ice.
Assume he is still a Jet after the TDL.
Also assume that we add a forward without losing a roster player and assume that Ehlers is back in the lineup.
That puts Petan 3 deep in the press box (2 if they send Appleton or Lemieux back to the Moose).

I'd love to see me some Petan but that would likely mean that we have 3 injured forwards which would be bad.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He has an awful shot but I'll say this about Myers, he's very good at walking the blue line and also is very adept at alluding pressure and driving a lane. I just don't think he'd attract much attention up there though, most PK units would be fine just letting him shoot.
I agree but Trouba doesn't have a accurate enough shot from the point , it has to be Buff or Morrissey . Buff is the best at keeping the puck in at the point too .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sort of true except Laine has had some really good looks on the PP before demotion and since he went back.
A few of those chances could have gone in and that would change the complexion of a couple of our losses and how our PP is doing.

The PP should be able to adjust to the PK tactics.
Teams have killed us by pressuring Wheeler for a few weeks now and I don't see a single change outside of personnel who are trying the same tactics.
Ya moving Scheifele over to Laine's spot on the PP doesn't work , need a healthy Buff at the point and Laine to get his mojo going again .

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are literally double teaming him and we have been coughing up the puck a lot.

I've found it odd the last couple of months that Laine (when in his "office") often hides behind their PK angles.
Often I see a lot of space a bit further out from the net (a place he's scored a ton from) but he's not really reacting to the lanes. Perhaps he's being told to stay tighter to the net (NOT SURE WHY). This eventually leads to Wheeler trying to thread too tight of a needle. Many of those pucks are at a minimum being deflected which either clears the puck or forces Laine to settle it down (which creates a chance to pressure him and cause a clear) and pass it back.
Rinse and repeat. The Jets need to find a way to capitalize on the Wheeler double team.

In a "take what they give you" offensive philosophy we should be able to counter this ploy.

One of Wheeler's biggest weaknesses is handling the puck when he is standing still.
I've seen him fumble it so many times in these situations compared to his control when he's moving.
Our static formation combined with the PK double team and Wheeler's static fumbling are a recipe for disaster.

They are double teaming Wheeler, but they are just cutting off his lanes, both passing and shooting. They are using a tight gap and not moving much unless he gives them an opening. They will intercept his pass and get the puck out.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
They are double teaming Wheeler, but they are just cutting off his lanes, both passing and shooting. They are using a tight gap and not moving much unless he gives them an opening. They will intercept his pass and get the puck out.
Mainly because he either starts with the puck from a standstill below the hash marks, or does that little half curl off the boards and boxes himself off down low. They need to spread the thing out a bit more often and try some rotation around the top and on either side of the net. Wheeler could stand to drift a little higher up on the wall, have Buff drift more towards the middle, Laine down on the left dot, Scheif looking re-direct in the slot and Connor working the deflection in front or a cross crease from Laine . The whole idea is to get the PK to have to lose its shape and hopefully have one of them have to rotate too far.

The 10 passes along the right wall, followed by a forced seam pass to Laine just isn't cutting it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea they will

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mainly because he either starts with the puck from a standstill below the hash marks, or does that little half curl off the boards and boxes himself off down low. They need to spread the thing out a bit more often and try some rotation around the top and on either side of the net. Wheeler could stand to drift a little higher up on the wall, have Buff drift more towards the middle, Laine down on the left dot, Scheif looking re-direct in the slot and Connor working the deflection in front or a cross crease from Laine . The whole idea is to get the PK to have to lose its shape and hopefully have one of them have to rotate too far.

The 10 passes along the right wall, followed by a forced seam pass to Laine just isn't cutting it.

That's what I've been saying. Force the PK to react. If the PP is static, then so is the PK.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
2. Barring a massive swerve,
Matt Duchene will be traded. There are undoubtedly more suitors than Columbus and Nashville, but they are the two most mentioned. I’m not convinced Winnipeg is interested at this time, and if I had to pick a stealth destination, I’d choose either Calgary or the Islanders.

4. My guess on Mark Stone is the Senators came at him with bigger money at less than max term. There were rumblings of five years at $10.5 million, but it was denied. That number would put him with Patrick Kane as the highest-paid winger in the NHL, but leaves money on the table Stone would try to recoup at age 32. His decision comes in the next few days. Chris Johnston reported on Headlines he thinks Vegas won’t do it as a rental. Winnipeg is definitely there. So is Calgary. Undoubtedly, there are others.

11. Winnipeg is going to be aggressive. There’s a limit, but the Jets have a deep pool of prospects and a willingness to move their first-rounder. Other teams were joking that Kevin Cheveldayoff was going to chain Pierre Dorion in the MTS basement until Stone was traded there.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
2. Barring a massive swerve,
Matt Duchene will be traded. There are undoubtedly more suitors than Columbus and Nashville, but they are the two most mentioned. I’m not convinced Winnipeg is interested at this time, and if I had to pick a stealth destination, I’d choose either Calgary or the Islanders.

4. My guess on Mark Stone is the Senators came at him with bigger money at less than max term. There were rumblings of five years at $10.5 million, but it was denied. That number would put him with Patrick Kane as the highest-paid winger in the NHL, but leaves money on the table Stone would try to recoup at age 32. His decision comes in the next few days. Chris Johnston reported on Headlines he thinks Vegas won’t do it as a rental. Winnipeg is definitely there. So is Calgary. Undoubtedly, there are others.

11. Winnipeg is going to be aggressive. There’s a limit, but the Jets have a deep pool of prospects and a willingness to move their first-rounder. Other teams were joking that Kevin Cheveldayoff was going to chain Pierre Dorion in the MTS basement until Stone was traded there.

Ok that is really funny.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Interesting analysis!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Petan is several injuries away from getting on the ice.
Assume he is still a Jet after the TDL.
Also assume that we add a forward without losing a roster player and assume that Ehlers is back in the lineup.
That puts Petan 3 deep in the press box (2 if they send Appleton or Lemieux back to the Moose).

I'd love to see me some Petan but that would likely mean that we have 3 injured forwards which would be bad.

As the only current healthy forward scratch, there's no truth in this.

Until Ehlers returns if ANY forward goes down Petan is in plain and simple...

unless one of Suess, Dano, Spacek, Harkins, Lipon, Kerdiles, Shaw, McKenzie or Lipon are getting called up to then play over Petan...

Reactions: GNP

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
As the only current healthy forward scratch, there's no truth in this.

Until Ehlers returns if ANY forward goes down Petan is in plain and simple...

unless one of Suess, Dano, Spacek, Harkins, Lipon, Kerdiles, Shaw, McKenzie or Lipon are getting called up to then play over Petan...
just because he is in the pb doesn't mean they couldn't call up another player in case of injury and play them. very easily can be true.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The only options are those I listed.

Which one might play over Petan & why?
dano for 1 he was in over petan the last 3 years. they let him go cause they promised him a chance and reclaimed him after clearing waivers . so him easily and shaw who is better I think. problem is the don't want to send him down due to waivers so they keep him up the others have already cleared. if we pick up someone at the deadline petan might go on waivers. all those players have played all year too petan hasn't.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
dano for 1 he was in over petan the last 3 years. they let him go cause they promised him a chance and reclaimed him after clearing waivers . so him easily and shaw who is better I think. problem is the don't want to send him down due to waivers so they keep him up the others have already cleared. if we pick up someone at the deadline petan might go on waivers. all those players have played all year too petan hasn't.

Bringing up Dano is not in anyones best interest. If he is to resurrect his career, he needs pencil sharp focus on the details to his game that made him waiver fodder in the first place.

Best thing for Dano is staying where he is until this season ends. Perhaps he becomes useful to the Jets in the playoffs as a black ace should an injury occur.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Lol, Petan being the next guy in and you not wanting him to be the next guy in are two unrelated things. Your dislike of Petan is unhinged.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Lol, Petan being the next guy in and you not wanting him to be the next guy in are two unrelated things. Your dislike of Petan is unhinged.
Someone else said that it was possible that petan might not be next guy in case someone got hurt. Then someone else replied he had to be cause he was here. I just said it's possible that even though he is here that doesn't mean that he is automatically 1st in. Has nothing to do with what I think of petan. Or is it impossible for them to call up someone else to play instead of petan.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad