Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Our whole power play being elite revolves around Wheeler.
1) Seam pass to Laine
2) into the slot for Scheifele
3) back to the point to Byfuglien
4) behind the net to Connor

As for options the Jets are filled with shoot first forwards. Laine, Scheifele, Little, Connor, Ehlers. I don't think Lowry, Lemieux, Tanev, Copp are best described as "playmakers". Perreault may be the next best playmaking forward in the lineup.

If only there was another elite passer on the team...

:rolleyes:...eyes look skyward to the press box.

Petan is certainly a better passer. Not sure if he is a better option on the first power play than Connor though.

I appreciate what Petan brings to the table. But I understand in the big picture why Maurice prefers a guy like Lemieux.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Just having different players in the same static spots doesn't accomplish much.

Agree that if Laine was burying it like last year we probably wouldn't be discussing this. But he isn't. I don't agree that there isn't much we can do while we wait for him to get going. Change the style a bit. PK's have adjusted to our PP1.

I was implying they could try and switch in the middle of a power play to help create a bit of confusion and space.

They haven't done it much yet, but it seems like a good potential ace to have up their sleeve for the playoffs. It's all speculation on my part.

Sorry to come across as a know it all here. But I'm not concerned about our power play cooling off in meaningless games. You will notice a theme regarding most of our struggles in this regard.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
When is the last time Laine opened up for a big 1 timer? I can't even remember. Is it because of teams adjusting their PK, or is it because the Jets aren't playing as well? Last year Laine was always getting his shot off even though teams knew about him. Why is this year so difficult?

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wheeler can't beat the coverage... Teams have taken him away. They rush him and wheeler can't do anything if he's being closed on

Teams know that Wheeler is the set up man now and cover him hard forcing him to the wall.

I remember when he used to drive the net and try to score and not just look to set somebody up.

Reactions: HPsauce

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was implying they could try and switch in the middle of a power play to help create a bit of confusion and space.

They haven't done it much yet, but it seems like a good potential ace to have up their sleeve for the playoffs. It's all speculation on my part.

Sorry to come across as a know it all here. But I'm not concerned about our power play cooling off in meaningless games. You will notice a theme regarding most of our struggles in this regard.

For a while they were having Scheif and Laine switch quite often. Not sure if they have backed off on that or not. The threat is essentially the same either way though. Both have a quick release and an accurate shot. At least in theory. I think the PK plays it the same way regardless of which player is in which spot at any given time.

I'm certainly no expert on hockey tactics. But getting the opposition reacting to you is getting the initiative. It is good tactics in any battle. That's what I'm really suggesting. I don't think it matters too much how you do that.

Reactions: Ducky10

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Teams know that Wheeler is the set up man now and cover him hard forcing him to the wall.

I remember when he used to drive the net and try to score and not just look to set somebody up.

I was just thinking about this today.

He's regressed so much in the past 3 years as far as being a force on the ice. Everyone looks at his stats and assume he's better now.

I can remember Wheeler being a beast, taking the puck to the net with speed and skill. He was at his best in those days.

I would be curious what Wheelers points for minutes the puck is on his stick is like... He by far has the most touches on the team, and I'm sure it's not even close to whoever is in second. I'm thinking Wheelers production in that category would be far lower than other scorers around the league.

Reactions: AKAChip

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Good comments Ducky10 - but I`d go a little further. Wheeler has to improve his half-wall play in general and avoid putting himself in positions deep in the corner that severely limit chances to generate an attack. Connor has to make better plays from down low when he has the puck - some to Scheif, some to Laine- and not simply play catch with Wheeler. He also has to get better at getting out from behind the net and either creating his own shot , or screening/looking for rebounds on shots from elsewhere. Scheifele has to move in and out of the slot and better position himself for tip in opportunities or screening opportunities for pucks at the net from Wheeler or Buff. At present, he positions himself exclusively for the short bumper pass from Wheeler.Buff has to leave his position close the boards and walk the line more towards center ice to create different lanes for shooting or for the slap pass off a shooting threat.Buff also would do well to think about incorporating the quick set-up pass to Laine into the PP scheme more frequently rather than simply returning the puck to Wheeler.. And Laine should ideally be positioned nearer the top of the circles for the kill shot - but they seem to favor a position higher up( maybe to improve chances of controlling some of the low percentage high and wides from Wheeler?)

As you point out, they don`t need a change to the basic formation- it`s fine. But they do need to think out the basic attacking options or tactics if you will,that are available from that formation, and then rehearse positioning/movements accordingly.
Yep, I think Wheeler has been routinely drifting too low on the half wall and boxing himself off from a few options. Also agree that as Wheeler moves up, Buff would do well to rotate more to the middle. If you think of it terms of creating triangles the only one their really setting up is the Wheeler, Connor, Scheifele one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good comments Ducky10 - but I`d go a little further. Wheeler has to improve his half-wall play in general and avoid putting himself in positions deep in the corner that severely limit chances to generate an attack. Connor has to make better plays from down low when he has the puck - some to Scheif, some to Laine- and not simply play catch with Wheeler. He also has to get better at getting out from behind the net and either creating his own shot , or screening/looking for rebounds on shots from elsewhere. Scheifele has to move in and out of the slot and better position himself for tip in opportunities or screening opportunities for pucks at the net from Wheeler or Buff. At present, he positions himself exclusively for the short bumper pass from Wheeler.Buff has to leave his position close the boards and walk the line more towards center ice to create different lanes for shooting or for the slap pass off a shooting threat.Buff also would do well to think about incorporating the quick set-up pass to Laine into the PP scheme more frequently rather than simply returning the puck to Wheeler.. And Laine should ideally be positioned nearer the top of the circles for the kill shot - but they seem to favor a position higher up( maybe to improve chances of controlling some of the low percentage high and wides from Wheeler?)

As you point out, they don`t need a change to the basic formation- it`s fine. But they do need to think out the basic attacking options or tactics if you will,that are available from that formation, and then rehearse positioning/movements accordingly.
One problem is that the Jets don't have a credible threat from the point because neither Connor nor Scheifele will go net front to screen the goalie on a point shot. There's almost no danger from an unscreened point shot. Put Perreault or Copp down low and have them move to the net front when it cycles back to the point to create another option. Connor is pretty much wasted on the PP now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was just thinking about this today.

He's regressed so much in the past 3 years as far as being a force on the ice. Everyone looks at his stats and assume he's better now.

I can remember Wheeler being a beast, taking the puck to the net with speed and skill. He was at his best in those days.

I would be curious what Wheelers points for minutes the puck is on his stick is like... He by far has the most touches on the team, and I'm sure it's not even close to whoever is in second. I'm thinking Wheelers production in that category would be far lower than other scorers around the league.
Agree. Wheeler spends way to much of the time with the puck coasting and looking for passes. He needs to drive to the net more in general. Also, he needs to work on his shot. He misses the net way too much.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agree. Wheeler spends way to much of the time with the puck coasting and looking for passes. He needs to drive to the net more in general. Also, he needs to work on his shot. He misses the net way too much.
He needs to get his skates sharpened too , he needs to go to Hockey Hut and trade in his floor hockey stick as well . ;)

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
One problem is that the Jets don't have a credible threat from the point because neither Connor nor Scheifele will go net front to screen the goalie on a point shot. There's almost no danger from an unscreened point shot. Put Perreault or Copp down low and have them move to the net front when it cycles back to the point to create another option. Connor is pretty much wasted on the PP now.
Agreed, Connor at the moment is serving very little purpose on the PP. When people talk of needing more options, there it is. How many PP goals have the Jets given up of late by a deflection in front? Been awhile since I've seen the Jets even try it, let alone score. They do need to try and open up a lane from the middle for Buff though. Other than Laine the whole PP has become so right side centric. It basically operates in 1/3rd of the zone.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Agreed, Connor at the moment is serving very little purpose on the PP. When people talk of needing more options, there it is. How many PP goals have the Jets given up of late by a deflection in front? Been awhile since I've seen the Jets even try it, let alone score. They do need to try and open up a lane from the middle for Buff though. Other than Laine the whole PP has become so right side centric. It basically operates in 1/3rd of the zone.

And how many goals do the Jets get from what we typically call a rebound or 2nd shot from net front? I recall seeing some analysis on this which I can`t locate now but there are some players (not Jets) who truly make their living from rebound opportunities.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ladd made a living standing in front of the goalie screening and tipping in shots . We need someone to do that , Lowry , Lemieux , someone .

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
It's funny, because when they had Lowry as a net front presence on the powerplay people were losing their s***.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hockey Hutch... Winnipeg hasn't been the same since they closed up. My favourite place to get my skates sharpened and to hang out talking hockey.
Yup spent many years going there to get skates sharpened and upgrade the goalie equipment , trade in was awesome .:thumbu:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It's funny, because when they had Lowry as a net front presence on the powerplay people were losing their s***.
Yeah, I don't think they need a strict net front presence, preferably someone who can get there, tip pucks, as well as be able to control things down low. I think Perreault or funny enough Wheeler fit that description.

Reactions: ecolad and Jets 31

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lowry isn't agile enough and doesn't have the hand eye to get the deflections, tips, and grease goals. His large frame blocked lines of site and that's all.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
IMO, pp1 needs to pass quicker to confuse the pk. Quick passes and fast movement. Once they are set up, they simply stand still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad