Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
You think with the talent they had they could of even won 2 without Roy?

Lets say they get Fuhr or Richter or Hasek or Potvin could COL have taken a few cups?
With Hasek they win 4 cups no doubt, with the others I'm sure they win one. They were going up against elite big spending teams like Red Wings and Dallas at that time, every little addition made a difference.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
With Hasek they win 4 cups no doubt, with the others I'm sure they win one. They were going up against elite big spending teams like Red Wings and Dallas at that time, every little addition made a difference.

Good point. I could see at least 1 cup without Roy but not 2. I don't think they win 96 without him.

Those old days of the 90's where some teams could triple or more other teams spendings. The no cap era, what a different era of hockey.

Which brings me to one of my original points which is I think Roy was traded anyways due to $$$. Molson basically sold off everything from 93 that was good and the team was in the dark ages until they sold the team. Even though Montreal today is looked at as a big market I think back then we were a medium tier market and couldn't compete with the Detroits/COL/Dallas/Rangers teams.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
We need center prospects and left defense prospects.

Bergevin are you listening?

GM-620x349.jpg

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good point. I could see at least 1 cup without Roy but not 2. I don't think they win 96 without him.

Those old days of the 90's where some teams could triple or more other teams spendings. The no cap era, what a different era of hockey.

Which brings me to one of my original points which is I think Roy was traded anyways due to $$$. Molson basically sold off everything from 93 that was good and the team was in the dark ages until they sold the team. Even though Montreal today is looked at as a big market I think back then we were a medium tier market and couldn't compete with the Detroits/COL/Dallas/Rangers teams.

They win 96 with a top 15 goalie. It was 2001 where he shined. And not just because he won the Smythe the one year and not the other.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

You honestly believe they would have won a cup with Fiset and Thibault? I doubt that very much. Roy was the final piece of the puzzle.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I narrowed in on the Flyers, since I don't think they'd be interested. Based on where they are and their present assets. I didn't disagree with the rest, I'm specifically talking about the Flyers.

Price was legitimately awful last year. And he's now 3 seasons away from being a top-5 player in the NHL. with injury concerns. I think he'll bounce back somewhat, but his value is not what it once was and interest will adjust accordingly.

Again, get an idea from their fans, but I don't think you're likely to see much interest, if any, in Price. Regardless of return.
I think Price still has a good reputation. Yes, he was bad last year, but I mean, did you see our team?
I don't believe any GM looks at his last season and puts any blame on him.
Injury concern, yea, that is more the issue. Whether he will bounce back or not isn't.

As for their fans, I'm not going to waste much time. It doesn't mean anything and I'm talking about the organization, not what their fans think.

In any event, we can move on from this now.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Detroit was favoured going into that series. Two powerhouses and one of them added a HOF goalie... that was the difference. Thibeault wasn't going to beat the Wings.

I never said Thibault was. He was an underwhelming mess in our jersey. The Avalanche could’ve made do a middle pack starter a lot like the goalies in this era can. Roy was a stud in 2001 which is a big reason they won. 96 they could’ve gotten by. You’re giving to much credit to Roy in 96. Of coarse he played a part, but he didn’t streal them that cup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I never said Thibault was. He was an underwhelming mess in our jersey. The Avalanche could’ve made do a middle pack starter a lot like the goalies in this era can. Roy was a stud in 2001 which is a big reason they won. 96 they could’ve gotten by. You’re giving to much credit to Roy in 96. Of coarse he played a part, but he didn’t streal them that cup.
I didn't say he stole it, I said that he was the difference between two powerhouse teams.

Reactions: Pickles

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I personally don’t think he was. And I love Roy. But I respect your opinion Guy.

I don't remember how good Roy was in that series, but I do remember the wings were a complete powerhouse, and the clear favourites..... And that's saying something because that avs team had alot of talent too.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I personally don’t think he was. And I love Roy. But I respect your opinion Guy.
The Wings got to him in a few of those games but he did shut them down quite a bit in that series. Anyways, free to disagree.

Whether he was the difference or not though, I always thought it was ironic that the Wings beat the Habs in that 10-0 game (or whatever it was) only to see Montreal trade Roy to Colorado because of it. It's very possible that the shellacking they gave to the Habs that night cost them a few cups.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't remember how good Roy was in that series, but I do remember the wings were a complete powerhouse, and the clear favourites..... And that's saying something because that avs team had alot of talent too.

Powerhouse is the word.

I really believe that was the best team, on paper, probably since the Oilers.

Can you imagine having a top 4 of Coffey, Lidstrom, Fetisov and Konstantinov ?

Or being able to ice Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov and Primeau down the middle ?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The Wings got to him in a few of those games but he did shut them down quite a bit in that series. Anyways, free to disagree.

Whether he was the difference or not though, I always thought it was ironic that the Wings beat the Habs in that 10-0 game (or whatever it was) only to see Montreal trade Roy to Colorado because of it. It's very possible that the shellacking they gave to the Habs that night cost them a few cups.

He was traded to the reincarnation of Quebec and had some great series against the team that chased him out of town in here. The stories in today’s game just don’t compare.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I hear that Mike Hoffman might be available.

He's been available all season pretty much. Sens asking price is high.

They should see if Colorado would take him in lieu of that 1st rd draft pick they owe.

Hoffman & Batherson to complete the Duchene deal over a 1st. If they get Zadina this year that replaces Hoffman. And taking the pressure off for next year allows then to tank and they will get a better center than Batherson guaranteed.

Hell throw in this year's 22nd pick if you have to, but it is in the best interests of Ottawa to try and get out of giving up their own 1st this year or next.

Once they get out from that, recoup picks by trading Karlsson. They could get another 1st this year & next year, probably a 2nd too & some high end prospects.

Edit:
Forget the Hoffman thing. After tonight's reports, I can't see any team in the NHL wanting him.

Still, the point stands. Sens should do something about that 1st they owe Colorado.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You honestly believe they would have won a cup with Fiset and Thibault? I doubt that very much. Roy was the final piece of the puzzle.

They could of traded for another goalie instead of Roy.

Rucinsky/Kovalenko/Thibault were good trade bait at the time, any combo of those 3 could of got them a guy a tier below Roy.

They were a stacked team. They MAY have been good enough or maybe not. Still one of the top teams back then I think. That was the question though were the AVS stacked enough to win a cup without Roy.

Someone else replied they wouldn't have gotten past Detroit or Dallas and I think thats a fair assesment.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
We're in a really weird spot to rebuild.

Also, rebuilding is never a good thing. Think Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona rather than Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The grass is always greener, the team isn't as terrible as some around here like to think. It doesn't make sense to blow it up just yet.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We're in a really weird spot to rebuild.

Also, rebuilding is never a good thing. Think Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona rather than Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The grass is always greener, the team isn't as terrible as some around here like to think. It doesn't make sense to blow it up just yet.
why ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad