Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He's been available all season pretty much. Sens asking price is high.

They should see if Colorado would take him in lieu of that 1st rd draft pick they owe.

Hoffman & Batherson to complete the Duchene deal over a 1st. If they get Zadina this year that replaces Hoffman. And taking the pressure off for next year allows then to tank and they will get a better center than Batherson guaranteed.

Hell throw in this year's 22nd pick if you have to, but it is in the best interests of Ottawa to try and get out of giving up their own 1st this year or next.

Once they get out from that, recoup picks by trading Karlsson. They could get another 1st this year & next year, probably a 2nd too & some high end prospects.

Edit:
Forget the Hoffman thing. After tonight's reports, I can't see any team in the NHL wanting him.

Still, the point stands. Sens should do something about that 1st they owe Colorado.

I expect that the waiver wire might be where Hoffman ends up if it is possible or maybe he is potentially traded for some player deemed undesirable by the rest of the league, say a Karl Alzner type.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Wings got to him in a few of those games but he did shut them down quite a bit in that series. Anyways, free to disagree.

Whether he was the difference or not though, I always thought it was ironic that the Wings beat the Habs in that 10-0 game (or whatever it was) only to see Montreal trade Roy to Colorado because of it. It's very possible that the shellacking they gave to the Habs that night cost them a few cups.

I get why the Habs traded away Roy even though I think it was a moronic decision, but the decision to trade away Keane in that same deal was without any sane reasoning. And the Avs young players at that time often cited Keane as the guy who drove them forward and showed them how a champion should handle himself, and I believe PL's decision to let him go came to bite them in the ass as he was a thorn in their side later on playing for Dallas.

Another huge part of that rivalry was Pepe, who I blame for waking up the sleeping giant. Sure he did a lot of good things for the Avs, but before he rearranged Draper's face that Wings team was a listless bunch of underachievers when the going got tough, but the hatred towards Pepe, later on, fueled them and made them bond as Bowman used it to rally the team around it. Had that not happened I firmly believe they would remain a sleeping lion.

By the way, the Avs rivalry with Wings is another reason I detest Leafs fans, as due to their absolutely vile behavior towards Murphy they effectively ran him out of the town into the outstretched arms of the Wings who got a top pairing D and a stabilizing force - Lidas often spoke how much he helped him - for their backend for nothing. had they treaded him better, he would never leave probably and the Red Wings would've been far weaker for it. Come to think of it, has it been an NHL team that benefited more from other team's stupidity as much as the 90s Red Wings who got both Murphy and Chelios for peanuts, one because he was run out of town, the other because his owner traded him to a team he hated out of spite? They essentialy got two hall of famers thanks to other people's stupidity.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

They should see if Colorado would take him in lieu of that 1st rd draft pick they owe.

Hoffman & Batherson to complete the Duchene deal over a 1st. If they get Zadina this year that replaces Hoffman. And taking the pressure off for next year allows then to tank and they will get a better center than Batherson guaranteed.

Hell throw in this year's 22nd pick if you have to, but it is in the best interests of Ottawa to try and get out of giving up their own 1st this year or next.

Once they get out from that, recoup picks by trading Karlsson. They could get another 1st this year & next year, probably a 2nd too & some high end prospects.

Edit:
Forget the Hoffman thing. After tonight's reports, I can't see any team in the NHL wanting him.

Still, the point stands. Sens should do something about that 1st they owe Colorado.

No one will trade for Hoffman now, especially not the team that knows first hand how big of a deterrent are toxic characters (Iginla, Beauchemin, Coulbourne, Duchene) in the lockerroom.

Ottawa should try all in their power to get that pick back, including trading Stone for it. As I see it, that locker room is so broken there is no fixing it by a move or two, they need to go full scorched earth and enter a full rebuild. Can you imagine EK, Duchene, Stone etc sticking there when they become UFAs in a year? They should liquidate their assets and move into a full-blown rebuild, they won't be competitive either way when EK leaves.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No one will trade for Hoffman now, especially not the team that knows first hand how big of a deterrent are toxic characters (Iginla, Beauchemin, Coulbourne, Duchene) in the lockerroom.

Ottawa should try all in their power to get that pick back, including trading Stone for it. As I see it, that locker room is so broken there is no fixing it by a move or two, they need to go full scorched earth and enter a full rebuild. Can you imagine EK, Duchene, Stone etc sticking there when they become UFAs in a year? They should liquidate their assets and move into a full-blown rebuild, they won't be competitive either way when EK leaves.

Iginla? Beauchemin?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Troubles with Hoffman/Karlsson is good for our trade value with Patch. If JVR and Neal re-sign, it makes it even more better. Less proven goal scoring on the market, the better. NHL GM's will fight over acquiring Patch and raises the value a bit.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Iginla? Beauchemin?
Yes, Iginla and Beauchemin. Those two were cancerous to the team and clashed with the young guys on the team. They also dogged it on the ice at all times. What made it even more obvious was how Iginla played when he got to LA, and there's a reason Joe basically just gave him away and why Beauchemin was bought out.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I agree. Scorch earth it. They get a good pick this year. Next 2 years, the top 10 is looking really good (early for 2020, but it's still looking good).

They need to rebuild & they can't do that while Colorado holds their 1st.

There's 3 really bad contracts they want to get rid of, 2 of them will be really tough: Ryan (throw him in a Karlsson trade with Vegas & stop asking for Cody Glass especially with Ryan attached it. Vegas' offer was good).

Gaborik (still has 3 years left). They should just buy him out. It would be cheaper than actually paying him his full salary over the next 3 years.

McArthur who's LTIR. There are a couple of teams that are actually going to struggle to reach the cap floor this year, especially if cap goes to $82m, which should cause a floor of $62.4m.

No dressing room problems since he's retired for medical reasons: Colorado, Arizona, Vancouver, NYI (if they don't re-sign Tavares). See if you can get rid of that contract for cheap, like say a mid-round pick. If not see if you can throw it in a Stone trade.

I'm not sure the Sens have the leadership in management to do any of this.

I wonder if this was known in NHL circles too. It would explain MB's character/attitude comments at the end of the season. Or, maybe our team's attitude just sucked. Just speculation.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Iginla? Beauchemin?

They both sucked after signing with Colorado and weren't happy with their playing times and roles. Beauchemin publically complained about it. I don't think Iginla did, but he let people know behind the scenes. Both were eventually let go since Colorado was awful anyway & they weren't helping.

Reactions: DAChampion

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Troubles with Hoffman/Karlsson is good for our trade value with Patch. If JVR and Neal re-sign, it makes it even more better. Less proven goal scoring on the market, the better. NHL GM's will fight over acquiring Patch and raises the value a bit.

Pretty sure JVR is going to UFA, so that won't help in a Pacioretty trade since Montreal will want to trade him at the draft.

We'll see if Vegas re-signs Neal.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I agree. Scorch earth it. They get a good pick this year. Next 2 years, the top 10 is looking really good (early for 2020, but it's still looking good).

They need to rebuild & they can't do that while Colorado holds their 1st.

There's 3 really bad contracts they want to get rid of, 2 of them will be really tough: Ryan (throw him in a Karlsson trade with Vegas & stop asking for Cody Glass especially with Ryan attached it. Vegas' offer was good).

Gaborik (still has 3 years left). They should just buy him out. It would be cheaper than actually paying him his full salary over the next 3 years.

McArthur who's LTIR. There are a couple of teams that are actually going to struggle to reach the cap floor this year, especially if cap goes to $82m, which should cause a floor of $62.4m.

No dressing room problems since he's retired for medical reasons: Colorado, Arizona, Vancouver, NYI (if they don't re-sign Tavares). See if you can get rid of that contract for cheap, like say a mid-round pick. If not see if you can throw it in a Stone trade.

I'm not sure the Sens have the leadership in management to do any of this.

I wonder if this was known in NHL circles too. It would explain MB's character/attitude comments at the end of the season. Or, maybe our team's attitude just sucked. Just speculation.
Well, a competent management would definitely buy out Gaborik, but while they save some money buying him out they need to replace him on the roster, I'm not sure how much net gain do they receive by doing so. Ryan is a tough call, as he destroys a lot of value a team trading for EK will be willing to give them. If he is rotten in the locker room do what the Avs did with JC, politely and without much fuss distance yourself from him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
We're in a really weird spot to rebuild.

Also, rebuilding is never a good thing. Think Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona rather than Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The grass is always greener, the team isn't as terrible as some around here like to think. It doesn't make sense to blow it up just yet.

Nothing is a good thing when you remove all of the good.

I would rather rebuild and fail than continue the course of failing that's never worked and continue just because the alternative sounds difficult.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

Edit:

Unless Ottawa adds a shit ton there's no way Colorado gives them back that pick for Hoffman, the pick is most likely a top 5 next year in a year stacked with elite young centers. I'm quite sure that if Ottawa offers their 4th pick overall straight up for their pick next year, Colorado would decline, even if they add Hoffman at this point which has negative value.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Why not trade Karlsson to Colorado for your first back and Girard?
I don't think Avs have any intention in trading a huge collection of assets for one year of EK. If he wants to sign there, there will be plenty of $ available in a years time. Plus I see no way in which they give up either of Zadorov or Girard as those two are the only players with top 4 upsides on the left side of D.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Unless Ottawa adds a **** ton there's no way Colorado gives them back that pick for Hoffman, the pick is most likely a top 5 next year in a year stacked with elite young centers. I'm quite sure that if Ottawa offers their 4th pick overall straight up for their pick next year, Colorado would decline, even if they add Hoffman at this point which has negative value.

If Ottawa surrenders their 4ov to Colorado in this year's draft, it fulfills the conditions of the original trade. Colorado doesn't have a choice in the matter.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Once a team loses out on Koch sweeps too they will need to shore up

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure JVR is going to UFA, so that won't help in a Pacioretty trade since Montreal will want to trade him at the draft.

We'll see if Vegas re-signs Neal.

I'm not too sure myself. Hard to say what the Leafs do but losing JVR's production turns that team into a 2 line team instead of a 3 line team. I can see them taking a step back but hard to predict what moves they make this summer. No idea about Neal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're in a really weird spot to rebuild.

Also, rebuilding is never a good thing. Think Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona rather than Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The grass is always greener, the team isn't as terrible as some around here like to think. It doesn't make sense to blow it up just yet.
It's funny you say this. I remember arguing for rebuilding many moons ago and the teams in question then were Washington, Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago. They were all mocked just as Buffalo and Edmonton are now. And all have gone on to win cups (for years people needled me about Washington but they can't even do that anymore).

There's no doubt the landscape's a little different with the lottery and not every bottomfeeder will go onto win. In fact most teams won't win cups no matter what they do as the league is getting bigger and bigger. But I think it is safe to say that most cup winning teams will continue to be rebuilds.

It's kind of like getting the hot girl to go to the prom with you. She's going to go with somebody. And just because you ask it doesn't mean she'll go with you. But if you don't ask, she almost definitely won't.

And then there's always the case of incompetent mgmt. Some teams can have a good young core that includes a Hart/Vezina winner to go along with a Norris winner and they can still screw it up. There's no relief from stupidity and mismanagement. You can have all the high picks you want but if you say... play them in the wrong position and misuse them.... then they won't become the player they might've been.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
They could of traded for another goalie instead of Roy.

Rucinsky/Kovalenko/Thibault were good trade bait at the time, any combo of those 3 could of got them a guy a tier below Roy.

They were a stacked team. They MAY have been good enough or maybe not. Still one of the top teams back then I think. That was the question though were the AVS stacked enough to win a cup without Roy.

Someone else replied they wouldn't have gotten past Detroit or Dallas and I think thats a fair assesment.
The dilemma that most teams on the cusp of winning have is that in order to fill the one remaining hole they often have to create a hole somewhere else. What the Habs did in 95 was to gift the Avs the Cup by not forcing them to create a hole in order to fill the one hole they needed to fill. A smarter team than the Habs would have required a real core piece (a Sakic or a Forsberg) in order to part with Roy. But as it turned out, the Habs were happy to take the Avs' surplus depth off their hands instead. They went for quantity instead of quality. But when you get mediocre assets they are what they are and getting more of them doesn't even things out. All you wind up with is more mediocrity.

3 mediocre players does not equal one Hall of Fame caliber player. 3 mediocre players equals mediocrity to the 3rd power.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I get why the Habs traded away Roy even though I think it was a moronic decision, but the decision to trade away Keane in that same deal was without any sane reasoning. And the Avs young players at that time often cited Keane as the guy who drove them forward and showed them how a champion should handle himself, and I believe PL's decision to let him go came to bite them in the ass as he was a thorn in their side later on playing for Dallas.

Another huge part of that rivalry was Pepe, who I blame for waking up the sleeping giant. Sure he did a lot of good things for the Avs, but before he rearranged Draper's face that Wings team was a listless bunch of underachievers when the going got tough, but the hatred towards Pepe, later on, fueled them and made them bond as Bowman used it to rally the team around it. Had that not happened I firmly believe they would remain a sleeping lion.

By the way, the Avs rivalry with Wings is another reason I detest Leafs fans, as due to their absolutely vile behavior towards Murphy they effectively ran him out of the town into the outstretched arms of the Wings who got a top pairing D and a stabilizing force - Lidas often spoke how much he helped him - for their backend for nothing. had they treaded him better, he would never leave probably and the Red Wings would've been far weaker for it. Come to think of it, has it been an NHL team that benefited more from other team's stupidity as much as the 90s Red Wings who got both Murphy and Chelios for peanuts, one because he was run out of town, the other because his owner traded him to a team he hated out of spite? They essentialy got two hall of famers thanks to other people's stupidity.
I remember reading a Jack Todd column back in the early 2000's about how the Habs crippled themselves not only by trading good players like Roy for mediocre players like Thibault and Rucinsky, but also by adding good players as "throw-in's" on many of these lopsided deals. Keane was a very useful player who was tossed into the Roy deal almost as an afterthought. Darcy Tucker was a throw-in on a deal with Tampa which sent Stephane Richer to the Bolts for Igor Ulanov, Patrick Poulin and Mick Vukota. How would the fortunes of the Habs have been different had they retained both Tucker and Keane?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember reading a Jack Todd column back in the early 2000's about how the Habs crippled themselves not only by trading good players like Roy for mediocre players like Thibault and Rucinsky, but also by adding good players as "throw-in's" on many of these lopsided deals. Keane was a very useful player who was tossed into the Roy deal almost as an afterthought. Darcy Tucker was a throw-in on a deal with Tampa which sent Stephane Richer to the Bolts for Igor Ulanov, Patrick Poulin and Mick Vukota. How would the fortunes of the Habs have been different had they retained both Tucker and Keane?
Honestly? Not much. Those were bad Hab teams.

But we definitely could've got a hell of a lot more value by trading those guys later on in separate deals.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If Ottawa surrenders their 4ov to Colorado in this year's draft, it fulfills the conditions of the original trade. Colorado doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Well Ottawa should. It's a gamble but one I'd bet that they should take. Could they trade down and then give it up as a first? That would cause some controversy

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Loved Keane! Like a Gally who could fight (and lead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad