Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not arguing if Price has value. I'm arguing what his value is.

Price is one of the best(some might say the best) at his position, correct?

If you want Crosby(same age), Tavares, Stamkos or whoever...you may a fortune if they're signed long term.

You want Price? Well...it's a lot less.

Goalies aren't as expensive.

Sure some guys go for more...but they aren't 31 and paid 10.5 mil either.

Just because goalies are less valuable than a high end superstar forward, or Dman, doesn't mean they aren't still quite valuable.

The difference between Crosby and your worst top 6 center is humongous. You cannot say the same between the top goalie and the worst starter. There still is a big difference, but it's not comparable to centers or Dman.

Still, a guy like Price, considering how desperate I can see some teams being for goalies, would still fetch a very nice return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
philly wouldn't give us a nickel for price until they see how Hart turns out

philly is tired of trading for goalies who end up doing nothing for them.....price would end up being the same.....they got smart and finally drafted one
Why do you get into discussions when you're just going to dump on Price?
I don't get it. Fine, you dislike him and his contract, cool, everyone knows.
Can you move on from that and start having rational discussions now? Because it's getting quite old.

Corey Hart is just a junior prospect. Yes, he had a record season last year. Previously to him, record holders throughout Junior leagues are Griffen Outhouse, Dustin Tokarski, Mike Murphy, Gerard Coleman, and Nicola Riopel.
Hart is just 19. So no. Flyers would not pass up on Price just to wait another 2-4 years for their 19y0 to possibly become a legit NHL starter.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Just because goalies are less valuable than a high end superstar forward, or Dman, doesn't mean they aren't still quite valuable.

The difference between Crosby and your worst top 6 center is humongous. You cannot say the same between the top goalie and the worst starter. There still is a big difference, but it's not comparable to centers or Dman.

Still, a guy like Price, considering how desperate I can see some teams being for goalies, would still fetch a very nice return.

His value may be as high as it ever will be now. If he struggles next year, we’re looking at a cap dump return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Philly isn't going to take Price while Carter Hart looks like he's the next Price.
Of course they would, because Hart is just a junior prospect, and the are many others before him who've had monster seasons and became nothing.

Philly has been struggling for decades to find a goalie. One of the best goalies in the league becomes available and you think they pass up on that because they have a 19yo goalie who did very well in the juniors?
Lol. I strongly doubt that.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If Roy never wins anymore cups the trade wouldn't have been that bad. Still bad but not horrible bad. Rucinsky did go PPG with the habs after the trade and Kovalenko gave the team 17 goals. But I agree they should of got a Sakic or a Forberg.

Well ya, if Roy gets hit by a bus and doesn't play a game for Colorado, this would become a steal for the Habs.
Not sure what the point of the "if" game is when we know what actually happened.
Roy did win cups, twice, and added a Conn Smythe, so that trade was horrible.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

only somebody like MB would think that,

Price trade value is the lowest it has probably been in 8 years,

right now if we were LUCKY we might get a first round pick for him.....and im not talking top 5

if price craps the bed this season AGAIN.....he is worth nothing and never will be again

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
only somebody like MB would think that,

Price trade value is the lowest it has probably been in 8 years,

right now if we were LUCKY we might get a first round pick for him.....and im not talking top 5

if price craps the bed this season AGAIN.....he is worth nothing and never will be again
Well I tried, but you clearly have no interest in being objective here.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well I tried, but you clearly have no interest in being objective here.

Lots of teans need goalies, but Price is overpaid, on an endless contract, and declining.

If he has one more bad year, it's over in my opinion.

You mention Philadelphia, they gave 50 million dollars to Bryzgalov and then bought him out. They'll be scared of paying big for another declining goalie.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lots of teans need goalies, but Price is overpaid, on an endless contract, and declining.

You mention Philadelphia, they gave 50 million dollars to Bryzgalov and then bought him out. They'll be scared of paying big for another declining goalie.

Well if he has another bad year we will talk then. This isn't summer 2019, we are in 2018.

Roberto Luongo was traded at what...33? With 8 more years to his contract.
This idea that Price is worth close to nothing is laughable. Reminds me of the years when people were saying how they wouldn't want to take Ovechkin and that his value wouldn't be high.

The Flyers have never shied away from a contract, not sure why they would now, when the player available could definitely be the solution to their endless goalie woes.

And as much as Habs fan love to dump on Price, for some inexplicable reason, pretty much everyone expects him to bounce back. So it's pretty odd.

I do not like his contract and I would want for us to part ways because it's time we stop focusing so much on goaltending.
If I am a team like Philly, Florida, Arizona, Vancouver, CGY, St-Louis, and especially Buffalo-Edmonton, I would be 100% in full support. Absolutely I would take on that risk. Every single day.
So the contract isn't so much of a problem. What would be on my mind is what we give up for him, and in that case, because of the contract and his recent shortcomings, I would expect the team to be able to grab him at a cheaper price. Still, I'd expect us to give up a 1st rd pick + high end prospect at the very least.

This idea that Price is worth nothing is seriously comical.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They are definitely rebuilding, after this disaster there is no other term for it. He may not like the term, but definitely rebuilding.
Habs aren't rebuilding. They say they are not. If they are rebuilding it wouldn't be Bergs doing it. He would be gone. Rebuilding is 5 years of terrible hockey, then no guarantee after that. Those 5 years is if everything goes right. If anything goes wrong....be like the Islanders, Coyotes who been rebuilding forever. Sabres, Leafs, Oilers were 12-14 years rebuilding and still don't have it right. The vast majority of teams who go thru a long rebuilding process do not succeed. Too much to go wrong. Zero chance of a rebuild

Reactions: Laurentide

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
And as much as Habs fan love to dump on Price, for some inexplicable reason, pretty much everyone expects him to bounce back. So it's pretty odd.

I DON'T!!

I expect another repeat of last season!!

you keep saying lots of teams need goalies....while that might be true, but those teams don't NEED PRICE!!

better cheaper options available with little to no risk involved

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I DON'T!!

you keep saying lots of teams need goalies....while that might be true, but those teams don't NEED PRICE!!

Better options out there, little to no risks??....who, what does that even mean no risk??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Way back in 2012 he also said he would build through the draft, the proceeded to not any additional prospects/picks.
But when we make the playoffs and trade deadline comes around and we aquire nothing, the fan base is up in arms. Draft picks is what gets traded at trade deadline, that’s what happens. Kudos to Bergevin, he never traded away a 1st rounder and 3 seconds and a 4th gave us two NHLers, one we won (Petry), and one we lost (Shaw)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Mike Milbury version of Mike Milbury gets a regular platform on TV too. When it comes to sports, people seem to like outspoken idiots that used to be involved in the game. I don't get it, but its not limited to hockey.
A few comments on this:

1. Knowledgeable hockey people don't necessarily make the best broadcasters.
2. Broadcasters aren't necessarily good hockey people.
3. In many cases those broadcasters want to be in the game but no team will hire them...

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

In my opinion the Flyers jump on Price, they desperately need a goalie and their window is closing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I DON'T!!

Well obviously you don't, that doesn't mean anything. You've repeatedly shown how little objectivity and credibility you have discussing this particular matter.
Doesn't take long for anybody to see you just hate Price.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I DON'T!!

Price will bounce back with a great season guaranteed ....history and track record say's so ....he is one of the 5 best goalies in the world and is only 31.......anybody who thinks he cannot have many more vezina trophy caliber seasons,when you see goalies like Luongo playing great and he is 39....then those people simply do not know hockey.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well if he has another bad year we will talk then. This isn't summer 2019, we are in 2018.

Roberto Luongo was traded at what...33? With 8 more years to his contract.
This idea that Price is worth close to nothing is laughable. Reminds me of the years when people were saying how they wouldn't want to take Ovechkin and that his value wouldn't be high.

The Flyers have never shied away from a contract, not sure why they would now, when the player available could definitely be the solution to their endless goalie woes.

I do not like his contract and I would want for us to part ways because it's time we stop focusing so much on goaltending.
If I am a team like Philly, Florida, Arizona, Vancouver, CGY, St-Louis, and especially Buffalo-Edmonton, I would be 100% in full support. Absolutely I would take on that risk. Every single day.
So the contract isn't so much of a problem. What would be on my mind is what we give up for him, and in that case, because of the contract and his recent shortcomings, I would expect the team to be able to grab him at a cheaper price. Still, I'd expect us to give up a 1st rd pick + high end prospect at the very least.

This idea that Price is worth nothing is seriously comical.
Good post...

I don't ever think the Habs would trade Carey Price though, unless of course he asked for a trade. I just can't see it.

This organization/city loves to glamorize the position of goaltender. I can't see it personally.

Reactions: Laurentide

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price will bounce back with a great season guaranteed ....history and track record say's so ....he is one of the 5 best goalies in the world and is only 31.......anybody who thinks he cannot have many more vezina trophy caliber seasons,when you see goalies like Luongo playing great and he is 39....then those people simply do not know hockey.
Unless he gets hurt... and that would suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->