Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Assuming -Robertson wins 3LW, Johnsson gone, Spezza+Clifford brought back

Do people value Engvall 500k more than Goat in the 13 spot rotating with Spezza?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He is younger and has a history of playoff success unlike Andersen. The down year only helps get him at a lower cap hit.
Im still confused about how Pit hasnt moved DeSmith yet.
2 more years, under 1.5m, good NHL save %, in 17-18 and 18-19.
How did no team looking for a backup find a way to snag him on the cheap?
He was my hopeful target before Campbell.

I wouldn't advocate for running two good backups instead of 1 really good starter, but a DeSmith-Campbell tandem would be damn cheap for a team worrying about cap.
1.25+1.65.

Wonder what ends up giving you the better teams, keeping Freddie-Campbell, or running a DeSmith-Campbell with an extra 3.75m allocated to another D man.
Id assume the Freddie option, but in this scenario you would also be getting assets for him that could be an ELC or other D helper.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Do people value Engvall 500k more than Goat in the 13 spot rotating with Spezza?

Engval is an above average penalty killer, and can play on the 3rd line in a pinch, and has some good wheels. I see the value being there, but in a cap strapped league it might be untenable.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Engval is an above average penalty killer, and can play on the 3rd line in a pinch, and has some good wheels. I see the value being there, but in a cap strapped league it might be untenable.

Yeah it's going to be a tough one. Adding the assumption that Sandin and Liljegren will be loaned to Europe
Trade Johnsson to SJ for Col 2nd + Gambrell
Spezza 750k x 1
Clifford 1m x 2

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-Barabanov
xxx

Muzzin-Holl
Rielly-Dermott
Lehtonen-xxx
Rosen

Andy- Campbell

If Engvall is the 13F that leaves 5.1m for Dermott/Soup extensions plus a bottom pair RD.
if it's Goat that's 5.6

And if we assume 4-4.2 to get multiple years out of both of the RFA's that's the difference between a 900k bottom pair defender or having 1.4 to lour in a Bogosian/Braun/Gudas/Ceci

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

To me no. I like what Engvall brings to the table, and would hope that in time, he might end up being a #3C.... he isn't there yet, and requires more experience playing the C position. Goat is an established defensive 4C, and a pretty good one at that. No, not flashy, but he does well in the dot, uses his body, blocks shots, hits (though they are more like rubbing players out, than punishing), and has a good GA/60 and all starting in the dzone 70% of the time. Engvall can't do that yet, and we need what Goat does, more than what Engvall currently does. If Engvall had established himself as a 3C, then of course he has more value, but he's simply another winger, and we have plenty. Yes, he's got wheels, and can play the PK... but so far, he hasn't show more offensive capability ESP/60 than Goat, and can't do the rest of the things Goat can.

I think if Engvall is part of the equation next year, it's as an attempt to replace Kerfoot as the 3C... and I know that's a bit of a gamble. He needs plenty of work, training and experience to be that, but it would be fantastic for us, if he succeeds at that role.

For these playoffs... Engvall out might be the right answer... and it's the right move for him to be out, and Goat in.... for next year, it depends on their internal view, as to whether Engvall can play the 3C, or whether he's a winger, which is pretty crowded on this team.

Reactions: 4thline

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd ideally prefer to retain Engvall over Gauthier in an either/or scenario. Any cap difference and greater likelihood of Gauthier being the centre, who could slide to wing if necessary, would seem to favour Gauthier for a rotating spot though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah it's going to be a tough one. Adding the assumption that Sandin and Liljegren will be loaned to Europe
Spezza 750k x 1
Clifford 1m x 2

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
xxx

Muzzin-Holl
Rielly-Dermott
Lehtonen-xxx
Rosen

Andy- Campbell

If Engvall is the 13F that leaves 5.1m for Dermott/Soup extensions plus a bottom pair RD.
if it's Goat that's 5.6

And if we assume 4-4.2 to get multiple years out of both of the RFA's that's the difference between a 900k bottom pair defender or having 1.4 to lour in a Bogosian/Braun/Gudas/Ceci

That blue line....yuck.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Im still confused about how Pit hasnt moved DeSmith yet.
2 more years, under 1.5m, good NHL save %, in 17-18 and 18-19.
How did no team looking for a backup find a way to snag him on the cheap?
He was my hopeful target before Campbell.

I wouldn't advocate for running two good backups instead of 1 really good starter, but a DeSmith-Campbell tandem would be damn cheap for a team worrying about cap.
1.25+1.65.

Wonder what ends up giving you the better teams, keeping Freddie-Campbell, or running a DeSmith-Campbell with an extra 3.75m allocated to another D man.
Id assume the Freddie option, but in this scenario you would also be getting assets for him that could be an ELC or other D helper.

I guess it would depend on whether or not we've already seen DeSmith and Campbell at their best in certain aspects. If so, DeSmith at 36 GP and Campbell at 31 would leave 15 games for another option. That of course is in the hopeful event of the NHL getting in a full 82 for 20-21.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Is this a thing?

A thing purely of my creation. If the AHL doesn't run we're going to have a lot of bodies and no where for them to play.

Run Lehtonen + UFA on the bottom pair, let the kids develop another season and re-evaluate come the end of the SHL season.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Spezza 750k x 1
Clifford 1m x 2

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
xxx

Muzzin-Holl
Rielly-Dermott
Lehtonen-xxx
Rosen

Andy- Campbell

if it's Goat that's 5.6

i think you all are missing something

with no AHL they will surely allow a bigger "taxi squads" with no cap implications

at least the Taxi can practice and stay in game shape with the big squad

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
i think you all are missing something

with no AHL they will surely allow a bigger "taxi squads" with no cap implications

at least the Taxi can practice and stay in game shape with the big squad

Yup likely. But is a taxi squad/ black ace role what we want for our top defensive prospects?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
A thing purely of my creation. If the AHL doesn't run we're going to have a lot of bodies and no where for them to play.

Run Lehtonen + UFA on the bottom pair, let the kids develop another season and re-evaluate come the end of the SHL season.
Liljegren should be in the NHL. Maybe Sandin but he would be playing against worse competition. I keep them both on the roster. With injuries both would likely play most of the season, or at the very least the kind of role Dobson had this year. Keefe has shown that he's willing to dress 7 D at times too.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Trade Johnsson and Kerfoot for draft picks, free up cap space.
Sign Spezza and Clifford.
Use Engvall at 3C all season, if it doesn't look like he's improving as season progresses move on from him.
Use cap space from Kerfoot and AJ for a D.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Mik Tavares Marner
Robertson Engvall Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Barabanov
Gauthier

Rielly- ??
Muzzin Holl
Dermott- Lethonen

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yup likely. But is a taxi squad/ black ace role what we want for our top defensive prospects?

That depends on what the "taxi squad is". As I've posted in the Prospects thread, the Leafs could easily afford to bring all of their Marlies, Growlers, draft picks, prospects, and select invitees to an extended bubble camp. They could easily field three, maybe even four teams worth of players, practising, and playing regular games against each other. We could afford to continue to develop our players, and prospects, while other prospects sit. It could be a big advantage.

Reactions: Da Murf and 4thline

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well, i could see them get a chance to play if they try a compressed season and tbvh practice with the big boys every day.

i don't see much of a upside for the team to have inferior call ups hanging around.

next season is supposed to be "the big cup push" season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That depends on what the "taxi squad is". As I've posted in the Prospects thread, the Leafs could easily afford to bring all of their Marlies, Growlers, draft picks, prospects, and select invitees to an extended bubble camp. They could easily field three, maybe even four teams worth of players, practising, and playing regular games against each other. We could afford to continue to develop our players, and prospects, while other prospects sit. It could be a big advantage.

While im sure there is probably some regulation against it, MLSE should really just buy one of those European pro league teams to use permanently as a developmental tool. Would allow them to get around that AHL age restriction for those guys too good for the chl on their D+1 season

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
While im sure there is probably some regularion against it, MLSE should really just buy one of those European pro league teams to use permanently as a developmental tool. Would allow them to get around that AHL age restriction top for those guys too good for the chl on their D+1 season

TBH, MLSE probably makes enough profit that if they bought a struggling franchise that operates a loss, they could probably get some kind of capital gains tax relief. However IDK if that would work if it is a foreign business.

It seems like Dinamo Minsk is becoming that destination for a bunch of Belarussians and other prospects this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
While im sure there is probably some regulation against it, MLSE should really just buy one of those European pro league teams to use permanently as a developmental tool. Would allow them to get around that AHL age restriction for those guys too good for the chl on their D+1 season

The league just stopped the team opening it's facilities in the off-season so I can only imagine the **** storm around the league if they do something like that

I'd find the hate enjoyable but the league won't allow that imo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The league just stopped the team opening it's facilities in the off-season so I can only imagine the **** storm around the league if they do something like that

I'd find the hate enjoyable but the league won't allow that imo

If I am the Leafs I tell the league to pound sand and the NHLPA or players themselves can put up a fight. You can't tell players not to improve or get better in the off-season.

I'd basically just say in the exit meetings with my players that we usually leave the doors unlocked for the practice facilities in the Summer....well, have a good summer.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If I am the Leafs I tell the league to pound sand and the NHLPA or players themselves can put up a fight. You can't tell players not to improve or get better in the off-season.

I'd basically just say in the exit meetings with my players that we usually leave the doors unlocked for the practice facilities in the Summer....well, have a good summer.

I can't believe it was stopped either but if it's written into the new CBA were completely ******, ain't no way of getting around that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad