Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the leafs lose this series then the they are 100% trading Andersen in the offseason and giving Campbell the reins.

Reactions: tmlfan98

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd probably just promote Kerfoot to 2nd line centre if it happened in these playoffs, he's played that spot before for the Avalanche. Nylander and Engvall look like they're thinking about what to do whenever they play centre for the Leafs whereas whenever they're at wing, they know, no hesitation or delay & they're far better at it.

If Engvall or Spezza are the 3C next season, there are problems.

I think if AM or JT gets injured this playoffs. It will be Spezza to fill their spots.
My suggestion of Willie being replacement C is next season and beyond.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Both Nylander and Engvall suck at centre, they're way better at wing.

I don't think Nylander sucks at C... he's been decent when there, I just think it doesn't make sense to split up our Big four, into three lines. He's been better for sure as a winger, than he is as a C.....

As far as Engvall... his faceoffs haven't been very good, and you'd really hope that to be a strength of a 3c. If he were to be a C for us, I would have thought putting him there, full time with the Marlies, and developing him as C would have been the better route. Keefe has liked him at C though in the past, with the Marlies... and he'd need lots of work there... I wouldn't rule him out yet.

“With Pierre, at times it’s been challenging,” said Keefe. “He wants to be a key guy on the power play, and he wants to do that because that’s what he’s done his whole life. At the same time, he’s embraced the opportunity to develop as a centre-ice man — taking advantage and (embracing) the chance to play against the other team’s best players.
“He’s playing a little bit of both — being a reliable defender, but still playing with offensive people like Korshkov and Timashov. He’s really done that well in terms of adding another layer to his game. The penalty killing is the other thing we think he’s done a real nice job on.”

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
we are and will,,,it's called internal growth,,,derm,sandin,lilly to name 3 young ones.

10 million 3rd line??? ummm hrmmmm how so?

(Johnsson 3.4M) (Kerfoot 3.5M) ( Kapanen 3.2M)

3.4 + 3.5 + 3.2 = 10.1M. Mikheyev played above Johnsson the whole year so yes, that is our 3rd line.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1. I stated in my quote, Engvall development into a C is key. I don't think he is good enough yet from the games he played at C.

..and that is the conundrum.... how do you get better, if you don't play that position? If he is at all in their plans, they have to do an extensive amount of work with him during this offseason, and then just run with him to start next year, and give him a real chance... with the understanding that he won't be perfect at first... but if that is a guy that you can convert to a #3C, that would be a huge win for us.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Engvall will be key in his development into a 3C.
Also, I don't understand why AM, Willie, JT and Marner got to be in the top two lines.
Willie can play C, while Marner can be the line driver on his own line.
Hyman-AM-Willie
Soup-JT-Marner
Robertson-Engvall-Kap
or
Hyman-AM-Willie
Soup-JT-Kap
Robertson-Engvall-Marner
or
Hyman-AM-Marner
Soup-JT-Robertson
Engvall-Willie-Kap

In the lineup where Marner is on a line with Engvall and Robertson, Engvall just needs to win draws and be solid defensively and let Marner do all the offence thing while Robertson just needs to get open. The JT line is pretty much the shutdown line.

The lineup with Willie at 3c, all three lines are solid and can score and skate. Assuming Willie can be a solid C.

I'm not certain about Engvall at centre, but I'd take that option out of the three. Considering the investments made in Marner and Nylander, having either on the third line is cutting too much into the ice time of one of the top three lines, IMO.

Reactions: Morgs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
..and that is the conundrum.... how do you get better, if you don't play that position? If he is at all in their plans, they have to do an extensive amount of work with him during this offseason, and then just run with him to start next year, and give him a real chance... with the understanding that he won't be perfect at first... but if that is a guy that you can convert to a #3C, that would be a huge win for us.
By no means, am I suggesting Engvall be at 3C in playoffs. Thats more to do with next season and beyond

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If the leafs lose this series then the they are 100% trading Andersen in the offseason and giving Campbell the reins.

It's entirely possible they trade Andersen under those conditions, or if they do not want to enter into a new contract with him. A contending team replacing him with a goalie that currently has a single season high of 31 GP, and 64 in total for his career, though...

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's entirely possible they trade Andersen under those conditions, or if they do not want to enter into a new contract with him. A contending team replacing him with a goalie that currently has a single season high of 31 GP, and 64 in total for his career, though...

They'll run a tandem. Sign someone like Dell or Broissoit for $2 million or so.

They'll spend the rest of the saved cap on trying to get Mikheyev signed to a 4-5 deal instead of a 1-2 year deal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

They'll spend the rest of the saved cap on trying to get Mikheyev signed to a 4-5 deal instead of a 1-2 year deal.

It'd be something closer to a 1A/1B situation than they've had, agreed. I just don't know that I see a 1A in any of those names.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Nylander sucks at C... he's been decent when there, I just think it doesn't make sense to split up our Big four, into three lines. He's been better for sure as a winger, than he is as a C.....

As far as Engvall... his faceoffs haven't been very good, and you'd really hope that to be a strength of a 3c. If he were to be a C for us, I would have thought putting him there, full time with the Marlies, and developing him as C would have been the better route. Keefe has liked him at C though in the past, with the Marlies... and he'd need lots of work there... I wouldn't rule him out yet.

“With Pierre, at times it’s been challenging,” said Keefe. “He wants to be a key guy on the power play, and he wants to do that because that’s what he’s done his whole life. At the same time, he’s embraced the opportunity to develop as a centre-ice man — taking advantage and (embracing) the chance to play against the other team’s best players.
“He’s playing a little bit of both — being a reliable defender, but still playing with offensive people like Korshkov and Timashov. He’s really done that well in terms of adding another layer to his game. The penalty killing is the other thing we think he’s done a real nice job on.”

I think he can get away with being a centre in the AHL, he's better than most players there where in the NHL he isn't 100% comfortable as centre and it shows a lot more against the best.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm sort of suggesting Thornton tongue-in-cheek but I see a lot of people commenting on the speed issue playing with Kapanen.

The beauty of having an absolutely elite passer like Thornton is that he's going to be able to find Kapanen in all sorts of open space and spring him for opportunities. Thornton has been just fine playing with young speedy players like Hertl and Meier (and Couture before that).

If he would come to Toronto at around 1 million, it would be insane not to take him. Having him replace Gauthier would be an ungodly upgrade.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm sort of suggesting Thornton tongue-in-cheek but I see a lot of people commenting on the speed issue playing with Kapanen.

The beauty of having an absolutely elite passer like Thornton is that he's going to be able to find Kapanen in all sorts of open space and spring him for opportunities. Thornton has been just fine playing with young speedy players like Hertl and Meier (and Couture before that).

If he would come to Toronto at around 1 million, it would be insane not to take him. Having him replace Gauthier would be an ungodly upgrade.

We don't want Thornton to replace Gauthier, we want him to a be a #3C, while we either find another, or train Engvall to be comfortable there.

We want Gauthier to continue to improve, because I think he has the possibility to be a very good #4C, and defensively, he has been. If he can only continue to improve in the PK, he'd be a guy we'd be looking to replace once Thornton retires, for many years. People tend to hate on Goat, because he isn't great offensively, but he's pretty good defensively for us, and if that improves, it's also a big win.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Thanks for the updates Kyle

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

the mighty goat ain't going anywhere

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
We don't want Thornton to replace Gauthier, we want him to a be a #3C, while we either find another, or train Engvall to be comfortable there.

We want Gauthier to continue to improve, because I think he has the possibility to be a very good #4C, and defensively, he has been. If he can only continue to improve in the PK, he'd be a guy we'd be looking to replace once Thornton retires, for many years. People tend to hate on Goat, because he isn't great offensively, but he's pretty good defensively for us, and if that improves, it's also a big win.
I hear you and it definitely helps if we can continue to sign Gauthier for league minimum. I just really want Thornton in a Leafs uniform (if he comes cheap). He's not what he used to be but I think he brings that swag/leadership that this team could really use. A real attitude. Similar to how Kapanen seemed to be sparked when Clifford arrived.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Thornton would be willing to sugn a 1 year cheap deal its a no brianer for the Leafs.

The Leafs apparently made an offer to him the same offseason they signed Marleau too

Reactions: Auston Escobar

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If Thornton would be willing to sugn a 1 year cheap deal its a no brianer for the Leafs.

The Leafs apparently made an offer to him the same offseason they signed Marleau too
I think the Leafs need to make a decent run for that to happen. But if we can fill out the bottom 6 with guys like Thornton and Spezza it would allow us to possibly trade guys like Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen and restock the farm system with some high end cheap talent while we also have the cash to add a d-man or two.

Johnsson and Kerfoot would be a couple of mid-round picks probably, but Kapanen would be worth significantly more.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the Leafs need to make a decent run for that to happen. But if we can fill out the bottom 6 with guys like Thornton and Spezza it would allow us to possibly trade guys like Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen and restock the farm system with some high end cheap talent while we also have the cash to add a d-man or two.

Johnsson and Kerfoot would be a couple of mid-round picks probably, but Kapanen would be worth significantly more.

I hope that we don't move Kapanen, unless the return is quite significant. Kerfoot and Johnsson, I have no issues moving, but Kap is a guy who I really have grown to like.

I'd love a bottom six consisted of...

Roberston Thornton Kapanen
Spezza Goat Engvall Korshkov

With Engvall getting opportunities at C, and coaching and guidance from Thornton and Spezza. (So that perhaps Engvall could become the #3C the following year.)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thornton-Spezza would be a nice way to round out centre depth, especially with the amount of speed and skill the Leafs have on the wing to compliment them with.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->