Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If that's the bottom 6 next season, I'll be pretty disappointed. The talent is downgraded. The defensive ability is downgraded. The grit is downgraded.

It's also like 4 mill cheaper, which goes directly towards defense. Talent-wise, it is probably not even a drop off. Losing Kapanen sucks, but given the drastic defensive improvement he returns, I think it is worth it. Mikheyev is no slouch at either end, and is probably better than Kapanen defensively (he's one of our best defensive forwards). Robertson is a risk based on potential, but he works hard and can probably replace the 3rd line role Johnsson would occupy without much of a drop off. Barabanov is like replacing Clifford with a guy like Trevor Moore. Yes Clifford is more of a typical grinder, but Barabanov combines energy, hard work and skill in a small package that keeps teams busy and can provide tertiary offense. Clifford does not provide offense of any kind, and was pretty much just a guy who had to hit people to be noticed... That's not something the Leafs are going to find valuable.

I added Vesey and Severson to the top 6 and top 4 respectively, so there is added grit. More importantly, we've got guys who are going to work hard and bring it.

Adding most of those guys does not really make us any more talent, defensively sound or gritty anyways. At best you can replace Spezza with a more defensive-minded veteran.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Off-Season Re-Tool:

Untouchable:
Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Morgan Rielly, Mitch Marner, Jake Muzzin

Needs:
Top Pair RHD
Shutdown 3rd Line C
1A Goalie
Veteran D Depth

On the Block:
Fredrick Andersen, Kasperi Kapanen, Alexander Kerfoot, Andreas Johnsson, Travis Dermott

Leafs - Penguins
Matt Murray (Re-Signed 3 x 3.75/per)
for
Fredrick Andersen

Leafs - Jets
Adam Lowry
for
Alexander Kerfoot

Leafs - Ducks
Kasperi Kapanen, Travis Dermott & Jeremy Bracco
for
Josh Manson

Leafs - Coyotes
Lawson Crouse & 4th
for
Andreas Johnsson

Re-Sign:
Kyle Clifford - 3 years x 1.25 M
Jason Spezza - 1 year x 0.7 M

Sign:
Wayne Simmonds - 1 year x 1.25 M
Radko Gudas - 2 years x 2.5 M

Crouse - Matthews (A) - Marner
Nylander - Tavares (C) - Simmonds
Robertson - Lowry - Hyman
Clifford - Engvall - Spezza

Rielly (A) - Manson
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Gudas

Murray
Campbell

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's also like 4 mill cheaper, which goes directly towards defense. Talent-wise, it is probably not even a drop off. Losing Kapanen sucks, but given the drastic defensive improvement he returns, I think it is worth it. Mikheyev is no slouch at either end, and is probably better than Kapanen defensively (he's one of our best defensive forwards). Robertson is a risk based on potential, but he works hard and can probably replace the 3rd line role Johnsson would occupy without much of a drop off. Barabanov is like replacing Clifford with a guy like Trevor Moore. Yes Clifford is more of a typical grinder, but Barabanov combines energy, hard work and skill in a small package that keeps teams busy and can provide tertiary offense. Clifford does not provide offense of any kind, and was pretty much just a guy who had to hit people to be noticed... That's not something the Leafs are going to find valuable.

I added Vesey and Severson to the top 6 and top 4 respectively, so there is added grit. More importantly, we've got guys who are going to work hard and bring it.

Adding most of those guys does not really make us any more talent, defensively sound or gritty anyways. At best you can replace Spezza with a more defensive-minded veteran.
The big Four got to play on three separate lines. Their production might drop individually but the team should be better off spreading out the offence.
Put AM with someone who cycles and will get him the puck.
Put Robertson on the same line with Marner and see if they are Hull and Oates 2.0.
Keep JT and Willie together.
As I don’t think AJ/Kap/Kerfoot will be back as the Leafs need TWO Dmen in the back end.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Off-Season Re-Tool:

Untouchable:
Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Morgan Rielly, Mitch Marner, Jake Muzzin

Needs:
Top Pair RHD
Shutdown 3rd Line C
1A Goalie
Veteran D Depth

On the Block:
Fredrick Andersen, Kasperi Kapanen, Alexander Kerfoot, Andreas Johnsson, Travis Dermott

Leafs - Penguins
Matt Murray (Re-Signed 3 x 3.75/per)
for
Fredrick Andersen

Leafs - Jets
Adam Lowry
for
Alexander Kerfoot

Leafs - Ducks
Kasperi Kapanen, Travis Dermott & Jeremy Bracco
for
Josh Manson

Leafs - Coyotes
Lawson Crouse & 4th
for
Andreas Johnsson

Re-Sign:
Kyle Clifford - 3 years x 1.25 M
Jason Spezza - 1 year x 0.7 M

Sign:
Wayne Simmonds - 1 year x 1.25 M
Radko Gudas - 2 years x 2.5 M

Crouse - Matthews (A) - Marner
Nylander - Tavares (C) - Simmonds
Robertson - Lowry - Hyman
Clifford - Engvall - Spezza

Rielly (A) - Manson
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Gudas

Murray
Campbell
I guess you just buyout Willie?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure with Gudas either. I probably wouldn't go him as well.

There has been some connection for a while, it seems like a foregone conclusion which is concerning because neither of Gudas or Holl are legit top 4 defenseman.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There has been some connection for a while, it seems like a foregone conclusion which is concerning because neither of Gudas or Holl are legit top 4 defenseman.

Yeah, that could be more than $5m on D-men that aren't likely to be an upgrade.

I like Holl actually, but I wonder if he's not quite up to it to play in the top 4 and too expensive now for the bottom pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad