Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Crouse from Arizona could be an interesting reclamation for a heavy forechecker guy. He was a Chayka acquisition so could be availible.

Greenway from the Wild could be another target

Reactions: ToneDog

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner's value is at an all-time low currently. It wouldn't be smart to trade him short of the right return (which should be pretty high).

Look at a difference a year makes. Nylander's value was at an all-time low last season. They didn't move him, he had a huge regular season, and while his ability in the playoff is currently in conversation, it's easy to see the he carries a lot more value now on the trade market.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Crouse from Arizona could be an interesting reclamation for a heavy forechecker guy. He was a Chayka acquisition so could be availible.

Crouse would be a real nice pickup and could compliment 34&16, don’t know much about Greenway

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Marner's value is at an all-time low currently. It wouldn't be smart to trade him short of the right return (which should be pretty high).

Look at a difference a year makes. Nylander's value was at an all-time low last season. They didn't move him, he had a huge regular season, and while his ability in the playoff is currently in conversation, it's easy to see the he carries a lot more value now on the trade market.

Marner was producing at a 90 point pace prior to the stoppage.

I think his trade value is still high. We're just more aware of his deficiencies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Depends on the price. I would not pay a whole lot for a guy like Crouse, and who knows if Arizona is willing to part with him for what he is actually worth.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I agree with you but I would use a word of caution when your thinking like that, the Oilers always seemed to think like that and they would hang onto assets to long hoping they would rehab their value and end up getting nothing for them

I certainly don't think Marner is in that category but I would look to sell high on somebody like Kapanen and see if there is a market for Johnsson who could end up in that "hold on to long category"

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What do you want him to say? Our players are garbage and they are all available!
Dubas will obviously support his players and stick up for them.
If someone gives him a great offer, of course he would trade that player. Then again, Leafs fans aren't the smartest so not sure why I'm providing reason.
Now if you compare it to what Dubas said about Andersen, he didn't give the same love to him. I look at it like this then. Marner isn't expected to go anywhere so explains the positivity by Dubas but that could change with one call. There is at least a decent chance Freddy is out.
Remember when Babcock was protecting Dion like crazy? What happened after?
How about not making any pronouncements about who is and isn't being traded that can bite you in the ass? You act like GMs haven't perfected the art of answering questions without actually answering questions. This was unnecessary specificity. He could have said " We're always trying to improve our team, but we have confidence in our core...yada yada" or some other vague bullshit like that. Why say anything when you don't have to?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
One thing we desperately need is offense and more goals from our D.

Our PP will be even more lethal if we have someone who has a shot from the point.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I agree with you but I would use a word of caution when your thinking like that, the Oilers always seemed to think like that and they would hang onto assets to long hoping they would rehab their value and end up getting nothing for them

I certainly don't think Marner is in that category but I would look to sell high on somebody like Kapanen and see if there is a market for Johnsson who could end up in that "hold on to long category"

I agree and I'm not saying 'do not trade Marner', rather the price should still be very high.

Same thing with Nylander.

And while I like AJ and Kapanen you definitely gauge the market for them to see what value is out there.

I think my priorities are:

- finding a top 4 RHD for Rielly
- upgrading at #3C (more size, physicality than Kerfoot)

From there it's adding some depth that can bring in more grit

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depends on the price. I would not pay a whole lot for a guy like Crouse, and who knows if Arizona is willing to part with him for what he is actually worth.

I wouldn't either. But I don't think he'd be expensive if the Leafs wanted to buy. I see him as a cheaper replacement for Clifford

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Well, Kyle's on Tim and Sid and he said without hesitation that he's not trading Mitch, so I guess that's that.

Him trading Marner at this point would be the ultimate confession that he screwed up, and he ain't doing that...if Marner wets the bed again next time around, I'm not so sure...but I think Willy might be gone though...one of Kapanen or Johnsson is probably gone for sure.

Reactions: ToneDog and Kurtz

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Would like to see Nylander for Brodin and Foligno; especially if the Leafs could extend Brodin. The Wild will have to protect Dumba, Spurgeon and Suter as the last two have NMC for the upcoming expansion draft. Otherwise they would have to go to a 4 and 4 and that doesn't seem to make sense. If they believe they can turn Nylander into a C, all the more reason for the Wild to acquire him. Otherwise a Nylander and Andersen to Carolina could make sense.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Would like to see Nylander for Brodin and Foligno; especially if the Leafs could extend Brodin. The Wild will have to protect Dumba, Spurgeon and Suter as the last two have NMC for the upcoming expansion draft. Otherwise they would have to go to a 4 and 4 and that doesn't seem to make sense. If they believe they can turn Nylander into a C, all the more reason for the Wild to acquire him. Otherwise a Nylander and Andersen to Carolina could make sense.

Brodin is exactly the kind of partner Rielly needs. Great skill, very smart, excellent defensively, and plays a very passive style.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I think I’d want Greenway over Foligno

But Brodin makes a ton of sense

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This roster is about 1.4Mish under the cap.

Nylander for Brodin and Greenway
Johnsson for Johns + 2nd/3rd

AEA8-E6-D2-94-BD-4250-BB38-703407189993.jpg

Reactions: New Liskeard

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
One thing we desperately need is offense and more goals from our D.

Our PP will be even more lethal if we have someone who has a shot from the point.

The idea is to make the side options the shooters in the 1-3-1. The issue is they use Marner on one of sides. Wonderful passer obviously, but the shot isn't that threatening.

I think they could put more 5 v 5 at the net though.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I agree and I'm not saying 'do not trade Marner', rather the price should still be very high.

Same thing with Nylander.

And while I like AJ and Kapanen you definitely gauge the market for them to see what value is out there.

I think my priorities are:

- finding a top 4 RHD for Rielly
- upgrading at #3C (more size, physicality than Kerfoot)

From there it's adding some depth that can bring in more grit

I agree on a lot there.

#3C particularly. Doesn't have to be as physical as you may be after necessarily, but someone that fill that role for cheaper as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad