Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Soooo many of us were calling - hoping - begging even - for a player like Boone Jenner, or Josh Anderson, or Charlie Coyle, Barclay Goodrow, or Blake Coleman, or Jamie Oleksiak, or Eric Gudbranson, or Brendan Dillon, etc etc to be targeted not only at this past TDL but the last one too. Guess we got one in Clifford, but playing 4th line minutes it's hard to make an impact.
We didn't have the cap space to really add anyone of significance because of the Horton Clarkson contracts and having to add them in case the Marner negotiation dragged on. Team will be in a very different position this offseason/next trade deadline.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, Kyle's on Tim and Sid and he said without hesitation that he's not trading Mitch, so I guess that's that.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
this is concerning by Marner. If you can't get up for playoff hockey there is an issue with your compete level. If he is truthful about that statement then Dubas must move him to get rid of that attitude in the dressing room

Mitch Marner on his series vs. #CBJ
: "The first game, I wasn't engaged at all, in the physicalness of play at all. And then from that point on, I felt like I got a lot more engaged and playing as my old self...but zero goals isn't going to get the job done."
10:43 AM · Aug 12, 2020·Twitter Web App
Imagine the uproar if a different certain leaf winger said this....

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Any chance we chop in a few players and trade for a slightly retained Doughty and try our dammed best to sign Pie??
If that doesn't fix our defence i don't know what would (unless you consider Doughty done??)

Doughty is more name than quality at this point .. I'd be leery about bringing him in for assets.

Pietro would be better since it would only be cap space and I trust that his style of play and strong defensive game would play well into his 30's. Still unsure about giving him $10-$11 mill on the open market though.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
And Bergevin said without hesitation he wasn't trading PK Subban, like a couple weeks before he did.

People tend to take what GM's say publicly too seriously.

This wasn't that - he was talking up Mitch's character, work in the community, etc. There was no hesitation in his voice at all when he said it - I'm quite certain it won't happen.

Besides, who cares about Bergevin? Do you recall one instance of Kyle saying one thing and then doing the opposite?

Having said that - he didn't mention Nylander at all, so maybe there's something there.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Pietrangelo would be a coup. I hope JT is already tampering.

Of course one of Mitch or William would have to go. The problem is it would be impossible to win any trade involving those two.
Actually you could fit Pietro in without trading either of those guys, you would just have to run with a cheap roster otherwise but it can be done.

Start with

Tavares-Marner
Matthews-Nylander

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin

Then move whoever else it takes to make it happen and fill out the defense with Lehtonen, Sandin,Liljegren and a couple depth guys. Up front you have guys like Robertson/Barabanov coming in, Malgin,Petan,Gauthier are all cheap, you can bring Spezza back and maybe another guy or two like him in cheap.

I would also argue that the sum of the assets you would get from moving more of the other guys would be more valuable than an individual trade for just Marner or Nylander.

Reactions: Blue Nate

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This wasn't that - he was talking up Mitch's character, work in the community, etc. There was no hesitation in his voice at all when he said it - I'm quite certain it won't happen.

Besides, who cares about Bergevin? Do you recall one instance of Kyle saying one thing and then doing the opposite?

Having said that - he didn't mention Nylander at all, so maybe there's something there.

Bergevin also said clearly he wasn't trading Subban. Subban had just donated 10 million to a children's hospital in Montreal. You can say you won't trade someone, you can say you like them as a person, and a community person.

The odds are, both Nylander and Marner will be back on this team next season. That's always the strongest likelihood.

It takes one discussion, and one strong offer, for that to change.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I guess if Oilers call and would trade McDavid to the Leafs for Marner plus, Dubas will say no bc he said he won’t trade Marner on Tim and Sid.
It depends on the return package.
Also, what do you expect Kyle to say, yeah, he is on the market.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Then why not say something noncommittal?

Try and quiet down the speculation that has already started?

Why does any GM say they aren’t or are going to do something, to do the opposite shortly after.

The likelihood is that Marner, and Nylander will be back next year. But if the right deal is offered for either one, I’m pretty certain Dubas would do it

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Trade Rielly, Kapanen, Johnsson and Mikeyev for Picks. Sign Hainsey, Edmundson, and Dillon.

Muzzin Hainsey
Dillon Edmundson
Dermott Holl
Lethonen

In my opinion would be a good enough defensive units to make the second round of the playoffs. In the top 4 it consists of 3 stanley cup top 4 defenseman, and the top four also consists of 4 defenseman with good career goals for% stats.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Trade Rielly, Kapanen, Johnsson and Mikeyev for Picks. Sign Hainsey, Edmundson, and Dillon.

Muzzin Hainsey
Dillon Edmundson
Dermott Holl
Lethonen

In my opinion would be a good enough defensive units to make the second round of the playoffs. In the top 4 it consists of 3 stanley cup top 4 defenseman, and the top four also consists of 4 defenseman with good career goals for% stats.

Out of curiosity, what is your offensive lineup

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Try and quiet down the speculation that has already started?

Why does any GM say they aren’t or are going to do something, to do the opposite shortly after.

The likelihood is that Marner, and Nylander will be back next year. But if the right deal is offered for either one, I’m pretty certain Dubas would do it

Sure, but what's the real benefit to that though? I mean it's if as hollow a comment as you say citing the Weber/Subban thing, then what's the point?

Are they too effected by media/fan speculation? That's part of being a star player on a Canadian team no?

I don't think Mitch needs that to be said, so you would have to assume that he is safe.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Well, Kyle's on Tim and Sid and he said without hesitation that he's not trading Mitch, so I guess that's that.
God, can this guy just stfu already! He always needlessly paints himself into a corner with his big mouth and arrogance.

"We can and we will!"
"As long as I'm here we're not trading Nylander"
"We're not trading Marner!"

What happens if he gets a ridiculous offer for either of these guys? He's either going to have to make himself look like a liar by moving them or an idiot for rejecting an amazing offer. :rolleyes:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sure, but what's the real benefit to that though? I mean it's if as hollow a comment as you say citing the Weber/Subban thing, then what's the point?

Are they too effected by media/fan speculation? That's part of being a star player on a Canadian team no?

I don't think Mitch needs that to be said, so you would have to assume that he is safe.

For one, I don’t think there’s a GM in the league who wants their fanbase and media speculating about a trade of one of their star players, doubly so in a crazy market like Toronto.

For two, it’s not like Mitch Marner is the least sensitive player ever. It’s been reported by CJ, and Mirtle I believe, that Marner was quite bothered by what was said about him during and after the contract negation, and there were plenty of reports he and his camp felt he was slighted because he didn’t get rookie bonuses and played on the fourth line sometimes.

It’s as simple as protecting a player. Protecting an asset.

As I said, the most likely scenario is Marner is back next year. But if the right trade comes along, Dubas isn’t saying now because “well I did an interview on Tim and Sid....”

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Dubas trading Marner 1 year after giving him that contract looks very bad on Dubas. No way he even thinks about doing that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For one, I don’t think there’s a GM in the league who wants their fanbase and media speculating about a trade of one of their star players, doubly so in a crazy market like Toronto.

For two, it’s not like Mitch Marner is the least sensitive player ever. It’s been reported by CJ, and Mirtle I believe, that Marner was quite bothered by what was said about him during and after the contract negation, and there were plenty of reports he and his camp felt he was slighted because he didn’t get rookie bonuses and played on the fourth line sometimes.

It’s as simple as protecting a player. Protecting an asset.

As I said, the most likely scenario is Marner is back next year. But if the right trade comes along, Dubas isn’t saying now because “well I did an interview on Tim and Sid....”

It was just like he said nice things about Dermott's future as a top 4 defenseman. That does not necessarily mean he will not be looking at other top 4 options, but I am sure he has confidence in Dermott and his ability to fill some kind of role if it comes to that.

It all does not matter really though. He did not say anything disparaging, and he does not need to go into intimate details on his future plans.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well if it's the case with Marner, then he needs to grit his teeth a bit more. If he and his Dad are more ok with the praise then they should accept a bit of criticism as well. Most of that seems to have come from the contract negotiations rather than playing performance like it is now.

But I don't really think the players value is effected much by speculation.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well if it's the case with Marner, then he needs to grit his teeth a bit more. If he and his Dad are more ok with the praise then they should accept a bit of criticism as well. Most of that seems to have come from the contract negotiations rather than playing performance like it is now.

But I don't really think the players value is effected much by speculation.

I'd say that normally you're right but this is Toronto.

Best example would be Kubina and McCabe. Both were still solid 2-3 veteran defensemen. Both got 40 points the next season, 1 went on to be his new teams captain and had 3+ more productive seasons in the league, the other had a good enough year post trade to garner a decent two year deal.

Both were treated as cup dumps because the gm was backed into a corner by telegraphing his intention plus caving to the court of public opinion

Reactions: Da Murf

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
People take what GM's say too seriously. It doesn't matter what he says about Mitch or any other player. If he gets the right deal, he's gone.

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
God, can this guy just stfu already! He always needlessly paints himself into a corner with his big mouth and arrogance.

"We can and we will!"
"As long as I'm here we're not trading Nylander"
"We're not trading Marner!"

What happens if he gets a ridiculous offer for either of these guys? He's either going to have to make himself look like a liar by moving them or an idiot for rejecting an amazing offer. :rolleyes:
What do you want him to say? Our players are garbage and they are all available!
Dubas will obviously support his players and stick up for them.
If someone gives him a great offer, of course he would trade that player. Then again, Leafs fans aren't the smartest so not sure why I'm providing reason.
Now if you compare it to what Dubas said about Andersen, he didn't give the same love to him. I look at it like this then. Marner isn't expected to go anywhere so explains the positivity by Dubas but that could change with one call. There is at least a decent chance Freddy is out.
Remember when Babcock was protecting Dion like crazy? What happened after?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad