Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Canes don't have their own 1st (goes to NYR) so I agree, I don't think they part with Toronto's pick.

Andersen is only signed for 1 year, which makes the fit a little less desirable. I guess it might depend on how Mrazek/Reimer do this playoffs, although Andersen doesn't exactly have a stellar playoff reputation (although I don't think the losses are his fault by any means).

I think he'd do well in Carolina though.

Plus Andersen was originally drafted by Carolina, didn't sign an ELC and re-entered the draft. Though Carolina is a far more desirable location this time around.

Edit. I see you mentioned this afterward.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Plus Andersen was originally drafted by Carolina, didn't sign an ELC and re-entered the draft. Though Carolina is a far more desirable location this time around.

Edit. I see you mentioned this afterward.

Yeah, more desirable location today for sure, and more also more uncertain in goal today (Cam Ward was entrenched back then and reportedly, Andersen felt there wasn't a path to get playing time). Also, other than Brindy (who was an assistant coach at the time), the owner, GM, management, most scouts, coaches and players are all different than when that happened in 2012. Basically, team name and physical location are all that's the same today.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
"I think we see a different goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs," said Kyreos. "Someone whispered to me yesterday 'keep an eye out for Matt Murray for Frederik Andersen.''
https://www.sportsfanpanel.net/post...e-toronto-maple-leafs-and-pittsburgh-penguins
Is that really an worthwhile upgrade for the leafs? Murray has been pretty average the past 3 years and in the playoffs has disapointed two years in a row. I'd rather save on goaltending altogether than have a 1 and backup case. Wed be better getting a 1A like gresis or khudobin to tandem with Campbell. Could probably get them for 3ish million and save 2 million in space from our current goaltending duo

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Greenway from the Wild could be an interesting addition as a strong forechecker checker not making much moneh, but would depend on what the Wild are looking for as they retool outside of centre's. Maybe one of the Leafs prospects has their eye...
Bill Guerin was talking about how he wants his goaltending improved next year. Dubnyk was bad and Stalock was ok.

Stalock
Greenway
pits 1st if they give it to min

for

Andersen
Bracco
Johnsson

You can bury Stalock in the minors and sign Lehner or someone to split with Campbell. Greenway has a bit more jam than AJ and the 1st is for Freddy

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Bill Guerin was talking about how he wants his goaltending improved next year. Dubnyk was bad and Stalock was ok.

Stalock
Greenway
pits 1st if they give it to min

for

Andersen
Bracco
Johnsson

You can bury Stalock in the minors and sign Lehner or someone to split with Campbell. Greenway has a bit more jam than AJ and the 1st is for Freddy

Wild dont need Johnsson, or bracco who has no value . Wild also have G of the year in Kaapo Kahkonen who is 1-2 years away. Stalock isn't getting traded. He will be exposed to protect Kaapo kahkonen

With the many G in free agency, & Trades, wild aren't trading Greenway, or Pitt 1st for a G who struggled, & many other options.

Don't even know how you think your offer is realistic.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Jim Rutherford : It's going to be difficult to keep both goalies - TSN.ca

It seems like things in Pittsburgh are about to change after the club’s play-in round elimination at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens.

General manager Jim Rutherford spoke with reporters as part of his annual end-of-year media availability on Tuesday, and he didn't hold back on the state of his roster.

"It's going to be difficult to keep both [goalies]. Everybody understands that given the cap," Rutherford said.

Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry are set to become restricted free agents on a Penguins team that finished the season with less than $1 million in cap space.

"My assessment is that Tristan had an exceptionally good first half. [Murray] was the better goalie in the second half. Our goalies were good in the playoffs. I can't point the finger at the goalies."

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is that really an worthwhile upgrade for the leafs? Murray has been pretty average the past 3 years and in the playoffs has disapointed two years in a row. I'd rather save on goaltending altogether than have a 1 and backup case. Wed be better getting a 1A like gresis or khudobin to tandem with Campbell. Could probably get them for 3ish million and save 2 million in space from our current goaltending duo

It is risky, but it depends which Murray you get.

Good Murray can win you multiple Cups. Bad Murray is terrible. Bad Murray has been more prevalent in recent years, but PIT has also been a worse/more injured team in general and he is only 26. He's more likely to figure out his issues than 31 year old Andersen.

It would be good for the Leafs to look at him, especially with the familiarity factor with Keefe as his old OHL Head Coach and Dubas his GM, but there are other options to explore.

If it is a one-for-one swap and Murray is re-signed for a reasonable amount, it could be the type of bold move that pays huge dividends though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Murray gives them someone they could probably sign to a ~2 year relatively cheap deal (probably ~4-4.5M per season) to play tandem with Jack Campbell. It would buy them a bit of time to find the longterm solution.

Sticking with Andersen means either he walks for nothing next summer and we're left looking for a replacement, or we have to re-sign him at what will likely be a ~7M+ contract over 4-5 years, which we would really struggle to afford (not to mention the risk even if we could afford it).

I could see the interest. Not from the perspective of thinking he's a definitive upgrade and longterm solution, but simply from a cap/asset management perspective, and ensuring we have at least a decent goalie in place for the next few years.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Probably been asked but what if we resign Clifford after the draft? Like in November? Will we keep our 2nd or does it transfer to next year?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Probably not. Perhaps he's just going off of the ex-greyhound thing.

But yeah, I'm still hung up on the idea of "team doesn't score enough, so trade the goalie" idea, but anyway...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
"I think we see a different goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs," said Kyreos. "Someone whispered to me yesterday 'keep an eye out for Matt Murray for Frederik Andersen.''
https://www.sportsfanpanel.net/post...e-toronto-maple-leafs-and-pittsburgh-penguins

Not a stretch to make this connection given the history with Dubas and Murray. Although he would require a new contract, Murray at his best would be a good addition. Would obviously have to hope that this past regular season was simply a down year. High risk, high reward move if made, in my opinion.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably not. Perhaps he's just going off of the ex-greyhound thing.

But yeah, I'm still hung up on the idea of "team doesn't score enough, so trade the goalie" idea, but anyway...

I do not think the Leafs are considering trading Andersen based on the last series alone. It will be the culmination of his entire body of work and combined with how they feel about their chances of keeping him long term (i.e. deciding to look at someone who could be around for more than one year). They can't officially sign an extension yet, but I believe the Leafs can still talk to Andersen about signing a new deal right now.

If they want to make a change with the core, he is the one with the least long term implications I would say.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not a stretch to make this connection given the history with Dubas and Murray. Although he would require a new contract, Murray at his best would be a good addition. Would obviously have to hope that this past regular season was simply a down year. High risk, high reward move if made, in my opinion.
Before getting a goalie, Leafs need to sign BJs goalie coach. That’s someone who should help the Leafs

Reactions: Buds17

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Andersen for Murray doesn't make since for PIT.

I can hypothetically see us dealing Freddy to a team like CGY or CAR, and then acquiring Murray.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Agreed, Murray probably costs around the same as Andersen right now (hard to predict this with a flat cap, but given the season he had maybe he comes in cheaper.) , and while he has 2 cups, he hasn't reached that level since.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If they were making some changes to the wing group I wouldn't be surprised with a Leivo return. Brings some size and ability to play off the cycle, has shown the skill to play a Hyman type role as 3rd wheel to better players in Vancouver, had a great year under Keefe with the Marlies, Dubas liked him and did what he could to maintain a solid relationship.

Another guy I could see us targetting to back fill at wing would be Namestnikov. Fiery, decently skilled, quick and can PK, depending on the contract could be a cheaper Kapanen replacement

Reactions: Menzinger

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Pretty lazy rumour mongering from Kypreos. You'll see this mentioned a lot in the coming months just because Murray is a Greyhounds guy.
I agree, but I don't think it's just because he's a Greyhounds guy. He's a young goalie with a history of success coming off a poor season and is now an RFA, on a team who doesn't necessarily NEED him. It makes sense to at least inquire on the player, but yeah I agree Kypreos didn't have to reach too deeply for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad