Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason on Hold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

You know what, I like this
I guess that will make Lou Lamoriello happy because he didn't like that after John Tavares signed in Toronto.

Lamoriello excited about Isles’ future home at Belmont

“I was extremely disappointed with the window of interviews; that was not the intention of how the league and union intended it,” said Lamoriello, declining to go into further details as to what irked him about the process. “I was very disappointed with the way the process was. I’ve never seen it like this one.”

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Robertson proves he can play during these playoffs I think the Leafs should use Nylander at 3C.

Trade Kerfoot and Dermott for Savard.

Mikheyev-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Hyman
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Engvall-Gauthier-Spezza

Rielly-Savard
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Lehtonen

Not necessarily as a permanent option, but having the ability to hide Nylander on the third line is huge. It would be like when Pittsburgh had Kessel on the third line, except Nylander backchecks.

It's late 3rd period in a playoff game and your top 2 defensive groups are dog tired after matching up against Matthews and Tavares for 45 minutes, who are you sending out that's going to have good odds against Nylander finding Kapanen for a breakaway?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I guess that will make Lou Lamoriello happy because he didn't like that after John Tavares signed in Toronto.

Lamoriello excited about Isles’ future home at Belmont

“I was extremely disappointed with the window of interviews; that was not the intention of how the league and union intended it,” said Lamoriello, declining to go into further details as to what irked him about the process. “I was very disappointed with the way the process was. I’ve never seen it like this one.”
I guess overrated Lou at least can't make excuses now. He is a bad negotioter anyway so maybe this actually helps him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

In other news, Dec 1st regular season starts, and only 2 week training camp.

Sounds like a good time frame. They will need to make up 2 months so starting ASAP is probably a good thing. That way the 2021-2022 season should not be delayed and they should not need to cut games. It may just be the Finals, Draft and Free Agency period are delayed by a month with a condensed schedule making up the other month.

Some teams will likely complain about a two week training camp but that is hardly a bad thing all things considered. At least for the Leafs it should not take much more than that to shake off the rust. Everyone is affected so everyone will need to learn on the fly.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well at least we can go back to trading the rights to UFA's for something of value. Maybe we can get something in return for Barrie.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Connor Carrick?
Honestly he could have been great if Babcock just let him play. He lost his way when he was forced to try and play like Polak just to stay in the lineup.

Our record was way better when Carrick played that year too but for some reason he kept getting sat for the icing king. I think we were 12-4 to start the year in games he played and we hovered around .500 when Polak was in that spot.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Engvall started out well, but was mediocre down the stretch when we needed secondary scoring.

14 PTS in his first 27 GP
1 PTS in his last 21 GP

If he can keep his game simple and be Kapanen-lite he'll be worth his price tag.

*****​

With all bonuses paid out a week ago, Ottawa will be champing at the bit for one of our 3 million dollar forwards. Plus they have four 2nds and two 3rds to play with.
I hope so, and we've seen some trades between these participants. On the other hand, a lot of teams will be in the same situation and looking at Ottawa with the same idea in mind as a dance partner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well at least we can go back to trading the rights to UFA's for something of value. Maybe we can get something in return for Barrie.

3rd rounder on condition of him signing or a 5th outright for just trading his exclusive rights would fall in line with the years of old I think?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I believe Buff has played at over 270lbs. Engvall could fill out some more and probably alter his game for the better. The GOAT is pushing 240.
Engvall is one of the most well conditioned players on the team as is. His work ethic off the ice has been long documented.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Buyouts can be weird. It actually works out to be the exact opposite. Massive savings over the first 2 years.

Faulk has a 7 year contract that hasn’t started. He has no signing bonuses (signing bonuses are terrible for buyouts). It is an AAV of 6.5M for 7 years. Total contract value is 45.5M. For a buyout you take 2/3rds of the base salary (which would be 30.3M) and distribute it out evenly for twice the length of the contract (14 years) and in this case it works out to 2.17M.

When it comes to the cap hit for the final 7 years 2027 – 2034 it will be 2.17M. But for the first 7 years it is done differently. You take Faulk’s base salary (9M for each of those two years) subtract the buyout payment of 2.17M and you get a savings of 6.83M. That 6.83M in savings is greater than his proposed cap hit of 6.5M so his cap hit would actually be negative 0.33M for each of the next two years.

friend, for you to know this so precisely, is impressive, while suggesting you have far too much time on your hands :laugh: Respect.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's extraordinary how many guys sign professional contracts seconds after they are allowed to talk to teams

Have the talking period, pretend the teams aren't talking to the players beforehand I don't think it makes a ton of difference either way

Yeah, I thought the point of having that period was to stop pretending like players and teams weren’t tampering with each other before free agency lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What are TML fans thoughts on Keaton Middleton? Curious from an Avs perspective...

Probably better to ask Shark fans. I don’t think any of us have really followed him since his D+1 year, where it was obvious he wouldn’t get a contract.

Seems like a serviceable AHL player. Wouldn’t hold your breathe on him getting an NHL deal. He’s all size and reach, and not much else.

But again, maybe he did well for the San Jose AHL team last year.

Reactions: Richard88

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What are TML fans thoughts on Keaton Middleton? Curious from an Avs perspective...

Thought he was worth an ELC in a vacuum, the only reason I'm not upset he didn't get one is that the org is absolutely stacked at LD. Moves well for a big man, underrated 1st pass, and was absolutely dominant defensively at the OHL level.

Most likely he's nothing, but there's a chance at a solid bottom pair PK guy, and a tiny sliver of late blooming stay at home top 4 guy with a more talented partner.

He's the kind of guy that if he does pan out he never made your top 20 prospects and then one day is just in the NHL seemingly out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad