Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'll admit I misspoke when saying Lowry is significantly more valuable than Kerfoot. I do think the Jets value him more highly though since he plays exclusively a shutdown role for them.

In terms of competition Lowry does not play anywhere near a matchup/ shutdown role, it's just barely balanced. Not sheltered, but you'd what you'd expect of a 3C. And while he does take a lot of D zone starts, he gets filled in doing it.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Friedman is reporting that Chicago is looking to move Dylan Strome and not for a very expensive asking price.

Would this be someone the Leafs would be interested in at 3C? What would the cost be? Could we move Kerfoot out for futures in a corresponding move?

What are peoples thoughts? Can't say I've watched much of Strome. Looks to have had some pretty good success since moving to Chicago.

Reactions: Magic Man

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Friedman is reporting that Chicago is looking to move Dylan Strome and not for a very expensive asking price.

Would this be someone the Leafs would be interested in at 3C? What would the cost be? Could we move Kerfoot out for futures in a corresponding move?

What are peoples thoughts? Can't say I've watched much of Strome. Looks to have had some pretty good success since moving to Chicago.
Seems like a player poised to be overpaid so he'd be a good fit.
Good kid though.

Kind of an odd rumour. Trade deadline has passed and no one knows what the future holds.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Inexpensive is all relative. Is he inexpensive relative to a 3rd overall pick, or inexpensive in general?

I would take him regardless. He can easily be a PPG+ player here. Even if he only stays here a couple of years and we have to move him once he gets expensive, we could easily get a ton of value out of that trade.

Keep in mind that he would max out as a 3C here unless he moves to the wing, and I think he projects better as a center.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He's spent a great deal of time with Kane and DeBrincat... he's not very good in the dot, and he's been used a lot more in offensive zone starts, than D. He's missed time each of the last two seasons...

But he's also put up 51 points in 58 games, and then 38 points in 58 games... so he's going to get paid a decent amount. He's looking at $5 million plus, and I can't see how we could pay a guy that much, to play 3C. It's the only reason they'd be looking to move him too... he's going to cost too much for their cap situation.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Seems like a player poised to be overpaid so he'd be a good fit.
Good kid though.

Kind of an odd rumour. Trade deadline has passed and no one knows what the future holds.

Inexpensive is all relative. Is he inexpensive relative to a 3rd overall pick, or inexpensive in general?

I would take him regardless. He can easily be a PPG+ player here. Even if he only stays here a couple of years and we have to move him once he gets expensive, we could easily get a ton of value out of that trade.

Keep in mind that he would max out as a 3C here unless he moves to the wing, and I think he projects better as a center.

He's spent a great deal of time with Kane and DeBrincat... he's not very good in the dot, and he's been used a lot more in offensive zone starts, than D. He's missed time each of the last two seasons...

But he's also put up 51 points in 58 games, and then 38 points in 58 games... so he's going to get paid a decent amount. He's looking at $5 million plus, and I can't see how we could pay a guy that much, to play 3C. It's the only reason they'd be looking to move him too... he's going to cost too much for their cap situation.

Very interesting responses. If he's going to command 5+ million obviously we won't be able to do it.

I was thinking more along the lines of if the Leafs were able to trade for him and sign him to a bridge (same contract as Kerfoot) it might make sense as he's a bigger bodied centre that can put up some points. Would make for a real strong 3rd line centre in my opinion with room to grow.

Nevertheless, just something to talk about during these weird times. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Reactions: ACC1224 and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Very interesting responses. If he's going to command 5+ million obviously we won't be able to do it.

I was thinking more along the lines of if the Leafs were able to trade for him and sign him to a bridge (same contract as Kerfoot) it might make sense as he's a bigger bodied centre that can put up some points. Would make for a real strong 3rd line centre in my opinion with room to grow.

Nevertheless, just something to talk about during these weird times. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Kerfoot - 8 goals 25 points, 5v5
Strome - 8 goals - 28 points 5v5

A good chunk of his points come from the PP.. which IMO, is benefiting from being on the ice with Kane and DeBrincat in those situations. He's not getting that kind of PP time as a C here.

He's got a big body, but he doesn't use it much.

But with a 60 point pace, if you look at comparables... that's in what Nylander signed for... so he could legitimately ask for $7 million... I doubt he's getting it, but.....

He goes to a team that needs a #2C, and could use help on the PP.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

A (significantly) worse defensive player who plays a (significantly) less engaged style and will cost (significantly) more is exactly the move we need to make at 3C, yes.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

He was a kid who was dying to be a Leaf on draft day. Would be a good fit here with his relationship with Marner.

Depends on cost/ what he wants in a contract, but if we could get him for somebody like Dermott, and bridge him I would definitely take a shot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He was a kid who was dying to be a Leaf on draft day. Would be a good fit here with his relationship with Marner.

Depends on cost/ what he wants in a contract, but if we could get him for somebody like Dermott, and bridge him I would definitely take a shot.

That's a lot of if's

I don't really care about him wanting to play for us or being mates with Marner, I also don't understand why we'd trade a young defenseman who was looking extremely good taking shutdown minutes when the season ended (small sample, but a sample none the less) for another forward who'd play on our 3rd line that doesn't take tough usage

That doesn't make much sense to me

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That's a lot of if's

I don't really care about him wanting to play for us or being mates with Marner, I also don't understand why we'd trade a young defenseman who was looking extremely good taking shutdown minutes when the season ended (small sample, but a sample none the less) for another forward who'd play on our 3rd line that doesn't take tough usage

That doesn't make much sense to me
I do want to keep Dermott but unless we play him or Rielly on the right side, he doesn't really have a spot with us re-signing Muzzin. I wouldn't really trust a right side of Dermott/Holl/Liljegren, Muzzin-Rielly could work as the top pair but then you have to hope that one of Dermott/Holl or Sandin/Liljegren can eat the secondary matchups.

A 23 year old center with a wicked shot and was on pace for back to back 50 point seasons is worth taking a chance on imo if the price is right.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I do want to keep Dermott but unless we play him or Rielly on the right side, he doesn't really have a spot with us re-signing Muzzin. I wouldn't really trust a right side of Dermott/Holl/Liljegren, Muzzin-Rielly could work as the top pair but then you have to hope that one of Dermott/Holl or Sandin/Liljegren can eat the secondary matchups.

A 23 year old center with a wicked shot and was on pace for back to back 50 point seasons is worth taking a chance on imo if the price is right.

If he isn't taking tougher minutes one of Tavares or Matthew's has to, I don't mind admitting I'd much rather one of those guys gets more offensive opportunities over the 3rd line

He's more of the same, but worse and makes us even less balanced up front when matching up against our competition

It's Barrie all over again

Dermott and Holl were taking matchup minutes, I'm not sure that's sustainable but I seriously doubt we get better from trading a young guy that has been taking tough minutes with no replacement inside the organization

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Strome is a good player, but that’s not someone Lesfs needs. He is pretty much an offensive version of Goat. He is not physical and not really that good defensively is he is not a great skater.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why do people here constantly make the mistake of thinking that players who produce zero offense in a bottom 6 role are far superior to guys like Kapanen and Kerfoot?

Just because a guy sucks offensively and is big, doesn't make him a better defensive player than those guys.

Imo thats seemingly a bigtime problem that folks fall under -this seeming assumption that bad offensive players are apparently good defensively.

Or even further, is the (false) presumption that guys that throw hits a lot have good defensive positioning and awareness

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Im a vaccum Strome would be fine to add, but he will be an expensive resign and likely wont get a lot of pp usage either. So not sure hed be a good fit

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Im a vaccum Strome would be fine to add, but he will be an expensive resign and likely wont get a lot of pp usage either. So not sure hed be a good fit

We can't use him in a defensive role taking some of the tougher minutes, we can't fit his cap hit, we can't give him PP time, he lacks foot speed in a system that makes use of that ability and his wingers will probably be speedy

We're also not exactly plush with assets to acquire him and could use a defensive add which may require assets and cap space

Saying the fit is problematic looks like a bit of an understatement Menzinger

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Barabanov-Engvall-Korshkov

Looks very deep. We could easily afford to trade AJ. We have Robertson who could make the jump and Engvall who could easily play that 3LW role. Even Barabanov could easily take that 3LW role for all we know.

Reactions: The Podium

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Seems like a perfect jeremy bracco trade ..

Saw him allot in junior since leafs were picking high. Was against picking him, very slow but has alittle Patrick laine shot

Would love to see him a leaf at least 1 year see how he would do, similar to bennet. I think both would fit well and excell with our roster in bottom 6 role that could maybe move up when needed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not a big fan of Strome, Chicago is smart though for trying to sell high.

New York should do the same with the elder Strome brother, who has been benefiting off of the best winger in the league this season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
When are we going to trade our million forwards for some defense?
In the offseason. Honestly unless we pry a big fish I would rather move them for picks/ cheaper prospects to restock the farm.

We likely have Sandin/Liljegren/maybe Robertson graduating next year and are starting with:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Barabanov-Engvall-Malgin
Korshkov-Gauthier-Bracco
Agostino-Petan-Brooks
Robertson??

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Marincin-Rosen

-We can maybe move 5 or 6 forwards for assets. Then either go for a Pietro or Doughty level player, or just hoard them.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The one thing I havent really seen discussed is the leaf potentially bringing back Ceci at a lower cap hit to be a vet/PKer on the third pairing.

Management seems pretty high on him and I would wager the leafs record was better with Ceci in the lineup vs him out.

Personally I wouldnt mind it depending on the cap hit as the leafs are really short on PKers and Ceci was better than he was giving credit for in really tough usage.

Reactions: kb

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The one thing I havent really seen discussed is the leaf potentially bringing back Ceci at a lower cap hit to be a vet/PKer on the third pairing.

Management seems pretty high on him and I would wager the leafs record was better with Ceci in the lineup vs him out.

Personally I wouldnt mind it depending on the cap hit as the leafs are really short on PKers and Ceci was better than he was giving credit for in really tough usage.
Is he willing to go from 4.5 million to 800k?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

I would only bring him back for 700k at best.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well he's going to ask for (and likely get) a lot more than most people think and we have our bottom 4 RD pretty much set with Holl and Liljegren (or possibly Dermott). So unless they plan on using him in a top 4 role again, there really is no fit for him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad