GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If the stars were 10-10-5 coming out the gate and needs a call up for a raffle injury , it would probably be the safe option in camaano or kero .If there 15-5-0 and Robertson gets injured . That’s when there’s a good chance damiani or mascherin would get called up . There’s not several Guys cut and dry ahead of him .
Well 15-5 isn't going to happen with this roster
10-10-5 especially with Holtby and Khudobin is much more likely

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Name them.

That argument doesn't float. People are having revisionist history with Bones because the bottom of the lineup churned last year. I already said it once but I'll say it again, Bones has said he doesn't call next man up on best overall. He goes to the guy that fits the role, and he did that in the Stanley Cup Finals. Caamano and Gardner aren't even in the same conversation with Mascherin.

The only legitimate competition he has would for sure be Kero and Damiani. Dellandrea is a tweener that was mostly used in a Bottom 6 role. I doubt Nill even gives him Dellandrea as an option since Nill's the type of guy to value big minutes in the AHL, and that could actually help him.

This is a bizarro world ... I've watched multiple people discuss Damiani and Mascherin in an a potential every day Top 9 role for weeks with no argument. Both beat writers have discussed the exact same thing at length.

Dallas signs Raffl and Glendening, 4th liners that aren't playing up the lineup, and we're pretending that Mascherin just never had a chance, and it's impossible for him to play next year all of a sudden?

Petersen and Kalstrom could pass Mascherin on the depth chart, but that would be on him failing to meet expectations. They gave Kero a 2-way contract for a reason as well, he's not a NHL lock.

There are not 5 guys between the NHL and Mascherin. There will be in 2022-23.
Gardner
Caamano
Kero
Dellandrea
L’Esperance

my evidence: this past season combined with Mascherin going to Sweden.

Reactions: NoCogs2020

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gardner
Caamano
Kero
Dellandrea
L’Esperance

With a more normal AHL/NHL schedule the team will call up better prospects again. Kero is not playing NHL games again.

The team wasn't willing to scratch good prospects outside of Dellandrea or sit them in the taxi squad. Next season they won't have to . The AHL-NHL travel will be much more regular again.

I would be very suprised if Kero and L'Esperance see any NHL games outside of extremely dire injury situations..

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If the stars were 10-10-5 coming out the gate and needs a call up for a raffle injury , it would probably be the safe option in camaano or kero .If there 15-5-0 and Robertson gets injured . That’s when there’s a good chance damiani or mascherin would get called up . There’s not several Guys cut and dry ahead of him .
When Nill goes to the AHL for injury fill in, we get the same thing every time. Someone on the current NHL roster elevates to fill the injury hole and the AHL call up then takes a 10 minute role on the fourth line. The same will happen no matter what the record is. If Robertson is hurt, then Kiviranta or Gurianov will be promoted while the AHLer coming up takes on the fourth line role.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Vegas had our odds of winning the cup around 1-28 before UFA, which was around 16th in the NHL. Then, after UFA our odds dropped to 1-35, also about 16th. 10-10-5 seems about right, well, maybe 11-8-6.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
When Nill goes to the AHL for injury fill in, we get the same thing every time. Someone on the current NHL roster elevates to fill the injury hole and the AHL call up then takes a 10 minute role on the fourth line. The same will happen no matter what the record is. If Robertson is hurt, then Kiviranta or Gurianov will be promoted while the AHLer coming up takes on the fourth line role.
We’ve never really had any skilled guys to call up other than last year though .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Played a year in Sweden. So this is Mascherin next year ?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Any interesting FAs left out there at this point? I think off the top of my head I saw that Galchenyuk, Palmieri, and Tatar are still out there. I know Palmieri is 'supposed' to sign with the Isles, but it seems like there's some negotiating going on for Tarasenko for the Islanders. I'm guessing both teams are playing a tug of war on retaining money on Tarasenko, maybe some 3 way trade is coming ala the David Savard deal last year. If that doesn't happen, I think Palmieri finds himself in an awkward spot where most teams have spent up most of their cap and he doesn't have a chair when the music stops. I think Carolina is gonna be scooping up a bunch of these types of guys, but I think the Stars have room for one abnormally cheap top 9 option if someone is stuck with no other choices.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Battling for division title wouldn’t surprise me one bit with this roster . However it would depend greatly on injury luck and is far from a forgone conclusion.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Battling for division title wouldn’t surprise me one bit with this roster . However it would depend greatly on injury luck and is far from a forgone conclusion.
It would be a complete shock to me.
There's not enough scoring and more than enough poor goaltending to make the season a struggle

Reactions: Captain Awesome

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It would be a complete shock to me.
There's not enough scoring and more than enough poor goaltending to make the season a struggle

There's enough scoring . Every top 9 forward is good enough to score at least 15 goals ( if they're healthy ) . The defense is excellent offensively and defensively . The goaltending is a big questionmark. Gotta hope the defense can prop at least one of the three guys up.

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
There's enough scoring . Every top 9 forward is good enough to score at least 15 goals ( if they're healthy ) . The defense is excellent offensively and defensively . The goaltending is a big questionmark. Gotta hope the defense can prop at least one of the three guys up.
let's see. that's 135 goals from the fwds. /82 = 1.6 g/gm. unless my math is off, the defense better be putting up some serious goals and goalies better be on point

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

serp

Jan 17, 2016
let's see. that's 135 goals from the fwds. /82 = 1.6 g/gm. unless my math is off, the defense better be putting up some serious goals and goalies better be on point

I said at least . Obviously some will score more. Also the other forwards score some goals and the defenseman will too.

The team was not that bad scoring wise last year despite all the injuries and the defense was excellent. The goaltending was a huge problem and cost them a playoff spot.

If they get at least average goaltending from someone they'll be good next year.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016

So thats all the RFA's . Team now done until training camp imho.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I said at least . Obviously some will score more. Also the other forwards score some goals and the defenseman will too.

The team was not that bad scoring wise last year despite all the injuries and the defense was excellent. The goaltending was a huge problem and cost them a playoff spot.

If they get at least average goaltending from someone they'll be good next year.
They were 18th in gf and got to play against horrible detroit, columbus and chicago teams regularly.
Teams that allowed the 7th,8th and 11th most goals.

Chicago will be better than they were last year
so basically all the garbage teams are gone from the division this year, they'll have real travel again, another year of decline on basically half the forwards, and worse goaltending.

Edit forgot arizona is in the central, so 1 garbage team to exploit

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad