GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Nurse just had his first above average to pretty good year in his 6th NHL season and gets a monster deal out of that. Jones has 2 abysmal seasons in a row and still gets paid. It's not even like these players are paid for potential since at ~27 they're probably finished product
Darnell Nurse has been a top-4 defensemen for about 4 years. It's a risk for the Oilers for sure, but they would be in a FAR worse negotiation position a year from now, and if he had a similar season would be commanding even more money. I don't think Jones is quite as bad as people make out. but he's definitely underperformed. I don't think it's a good contract at all. But them being bad contracts doesn't take away from the emerging truth that defensemen seen to be top-2 defenders (not truly elite ones either) are being valued at about 12% of the cap. You can argue whether Jones or Nurse are that top 2 defender, and I'd be more likely to agree with you. I like Nurse's deal a lot more than Jones's or Werenski's though.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I wouldn't have given Nurse $6 million a year, let alone over $9 million for 8 years. Yikes.

Good for him though, cashing in on one good year. :laugh:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I know others, myself included, were looking at moving Lindell to open up cap space or get a top 6 fwd in exchange but man his 4 years at that price really seems like a steal now after this offseason and all the d-men getting paid. Unfortunately we’ll be in the same boat next offseason with Klingberg.

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure the logic holds for me. The cap moved zero dollars this year, the contracts signed are horrendous, which is pretty normal for UFA. That being said, it certainly wouldn't have been easy to replace him for a more reasonable deal, which is why I wanted to get rid of him in the first place. I'm not sure I care though, if the return is absolutely massive I give up our 'elite' D to balance out the scoring any day. Especially since I don't think Lindell is very good at anything, and maybe a guy like Hakanpaa can replace most of what he does for a fraction of the price. That's a stretch, since he's still relatively new to the league, but I think it would still be an overall gain if we added a talented top 6 player and gave up Lindell pretty much every time. Still mad that Buchnevich went for basically nothing.

I don't think D-men magically got more valuable because someone realized they're much better than forwards, I think that several teams lost their #4 D to Seattle, and it created a huge demand around the league for a top 4D, except there were 8 or 9 of them less than there were before for the entire NHL. Since Seattle also took contract money off of every team's hands, except Vegas, there was also an influx of cap space.

Unfortunately, teams are incredibly dumb, so guys like Tucker Poolman and Cody Ceci somehow got overpaid, not to mention the likes of Nurse, Jones, and Werenski. But all three have special circumstances, even if they are still absolutely awful deals. Then there's Ristolainen and OEL, some of the worst trades I've seen in a long time. At least Jones is actually useful, even if they overpaid for him in trade, giving him 100% of the leverage, and getting massively paid in the process.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This is such a weird signing. Idk it just seems weird, like the Panthers signed him simply because they can

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad