GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I was looking at puckfriendly today and noticed that Dowling had some of the better possession metrics on the Stars over the last two years. Too bad he can't do anything with the puck when he has it. Hope he carves out a career as a 4th liner for the Canucks though.

Yeah I’d say he’s fine as a fill in player, he’s going to have to beat out Brandon Sutter for that 4C spot which will be tough considering Sutter has been a Canuck for so long and has the long track record

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I missed this in all the free agency news, but just seen that Dowling got a 2 year, 1 way contract from the Canucks. Awesome to see a guy that went through the grind in the AHL till he was nearly 30 to finally get that one way deal. Also, dude was a beast in western Canada so look out Edmonton and Calgary

We have kept one of those too with Joel Hanley. Stars rewarded him with his career first one-way deal too.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Yikes, projected to only increase the cap by $1M/yr until 2025. I was hoping something like the Heiskanen deal might start to really gain value during the middle of the contract, but $1M is a pittance for cap growth. It's about as close to a flat cap as you can get, and the projections given are with the new TV deal in mind, so nothing on the horizon to make it better.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He may not be a good playoff performer but he helps you get there. Devils at this stage are 100% happy to make the playoffs.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Players should be taking a discount to be on the same team as McDrai, instead, Ken Holland has impressively constructed such a terrible team that it's barely any more attractive than when they were an absolute basement team during the Kevin Lowe days, and he's gotta basically pay the Werenski price, but he's not even that good.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas

Oilers really overpaying big time for Nurse.

If every defensemen is overpaid, it isn't an overpayment. Just market value. I actually don't hate it. It takes him through him age 34 season which is usually when defensemen start to tail off. I much prefer this to Seth Jones or Zach Werenski at their contracts.

In saying that, it makes me nervous about what Klingberg will get.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
If every defensemen is overpaid, it isn't an overpayment. Just market value. I actually don't hate it. It takes him through him age 34 season which is usually when defensemen start to tail off. I much prefer this to Seth Jones or Zach Werenski at their contracts.

Klingberg will be 30 when he gets his next contract so I doubt he gets what Nurse just signed for.

Teams like Columbus and Edmonton seem to have to overpay to keep players around.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I don't think either of those 3 defenseman are worth that money. It's top5-10 defenseman in the league money and they're not.

If Klingberg goes full market he could get almost Karlsson money from someone. Yeah Klingberg was never as good as Karlsson in his prime but he also doesn't have the injury history Karlsson had.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Klingberg will be 30 when he gets his next contract so I doubt he gets what Nurse just signed for.

Teams like Columbus and Edmonton seem to have to overpay to keep players around.
Yes. I agree. But I'm guessing he'll want at least 7.5 AAV for 6 years. And that would make me nervous.

I don't think either of those 3 defenseman are worth that money. It's top5-10 defenseman in the league money and they're not.

If Klingberg goes full market he could get almost Karlsson money from someone. Yeah Klingberg was never as good as Karlsson in his prime but he also doesn't have the injury history Karlsson had.
It was top 5/10 in the league money. The way GM's are valuing defenseman is changing. I personally think it makes more sense to pay big money to a defenseman than a forward. Darnell Nurse played almost 27 minutes a night last season. Compared to the best forwards who clock in around 20 minutes. Defenseman also tend to have a bit more longevity, but of course there are exceptions. I do agree that they seem rich, but that seems to just be the new normal.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yes. I agree. But I'm guessing he'll want at least 7.5 AAV for 6 years. And that would make me nervous.

It was top 5/10 in the league money. The way GM's are valuing defenseman is changing. I personally think it makes more sense to pay big money to a defenseman than a forward. Darnell Nurse played almost 27 minutes a night last season. Compared to the best forwards who clock in around 20 minutes. Defenseman also tend to have a bit more longevity, but of course there are exceptions. I do agree that they seem rich, but that seems to just be the new normal.

Nurse just had his first above average to pretty good year in his 6th NHL season and gets a monster deal out of that. Jones has 2 abysmal seasons in a row and still gets paid. It's not even like these players are paid for potential since at ~27 they're probably finished product

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad