GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Yandover

Nov 8, 2013
Saw this earlier. Glad we decided on a guy we wont see make a lick of difference for the next three years.
We don’t have to worry about goals. Wingers who score 25/30 goals are easy to get. Better that we pick a consensus 2c that we can build a Cup team around in a few yrs even though we have no arena, an owner who might not hold up and no money to buy supporting players to place around our 5OV. Why would you draft a guy who as Bob Mackenzie said has “the most natural goal scoring shot in the draft” when you could get a good overall center who is good on the PK and will be here in only a few yrs. Watching a rookie center on the PK will put butts in the seats better than a hot goal scorer. Besides he’s got Bette Davis, I mean, Shane Doan’s eyes.

Reactions: CC96 and SR

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
We don’t have to worry about goals. Wingers who score 25/30 goals are easy to get. Better that we pick a consensus 2c that we can build a Cup team around in a few yrs even though we have no arena, an owner who might not hold up and no money to buy supporting players to place around our 5OV. Why would you draft a guy who as Bob Mackenzie said has “the most natural goal scoring shot in the draft” when you could get a good overall center who is good on the PK and will be here in only a few yrs. Watching a rookie center on the PK will put butts in the seats better than a hot goal scorer. Besides he’s got Bette Davis, I mean, Shane Doan’s eyes.

Because the goal scorer you speak of has a terrible attitude, had terrible team interviews and is extremely immature. Sorry to tell you but playing in the NHL is more than scoring goals. Maturity matters when you’re trying to build a winner.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Grabner is going to cost a hell of a lot more than that. He’s coming off of back-to-back 27g seasons with zero PP time. I have major concerns about his ability to transfer that success elsewhere, but somebody will pay him on the gamble that he’ll be able to continue his success in a more featured role with more choosy minutes. It could be us. It’ll be for a lot more than 2x2. I’d guess more like double that.

His last contract was for 1.65 per year and he had 36 points. If someone pays him more than 2.25 per for any more than 2-3 years max then they are living in crazy town imo...

Yandover

Nov 8, 2013
Because the goal scorer you speak of has a terrible attitude, had terrible team interviews and is extremely immature. Sorry to tell you but playing in the NHL is more than scoring goals. Maturity matters when you’re trying to build a winner.
Sure.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m kinda hoping to wake up to good news in regards to free agency and the coyotes.

But I almost feel like I’m gonna be the kid who wakes up to a 3DS when I asked for a Switch

Reactions: doaner

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

lmao what are you even on about? Talk about making stuff up.

The kid likes fashion and doesn't want teams to pass on him. Oh the horror.

Reactions: CC96 and Yandover

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
His last contract was for 1.65 per year and he had 36 points. If someone pays him more than 2.25 per for any more than 2-3 years max then they are living in crazy town imo...

He will 100% get more than 2.25 AAV, i'm guessing something between 3-3,5 and 3-4 years

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chayka isn't digging through the dumpsters like Maloney did so if he signs someone, I believe it will be a decent signing.

And is there any chance they bring Merkley up?

Merkley can go back to the AHL so there's no real point in playing him in a grinder role at the NHL level. Plus Merkley will be coming off an injury again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think character can be added to that list.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m kinda hoping to wake up to good news in regards to free agency and the coyotes.

But I almost feel like I’m gonna be the kid who wakes up to a 3DS when I asked for a Switch
For me the good news is not signing someone to a ridiculous deal for long term and big money. Let the kids mature, and make a trade when it presents itself to benefit us.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka isn't digging through the dumpsters like Maloney did so if he signs someone, I believe it will be a decent signing.

And is there any chance they bring Merkley up?
If not a signing, maybe a trade. No use to panic now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bobby Mac musing on potential EK to TBL and how TBL would need to clear space. Maybe our “advanced” discussions are about Miller or Johnson? Either would be cool. Optionality and all.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
If not a signing, maybe a trade. No use to panic now.

Problem is a FA is by definition "free" besides the money. Trade involves giving up assets and honestly we don't have the expendable assets to really get anything special back without giving up a potential lottery pick.

I wouldn't say panic, but striking out on FA's this summer would be a fairly significant failure IMO.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bobby Mac musing on potential EK to TBL and how TBL would need to clear space. Maybe our “advanced” discussions are about Miller or Johnson? Either would be cool. Optionality and all.

JT Miller signed a nice new contract. Plays all 3 positions. Knows Stepan. I'd bet money he's the guy. Might get a sweetheart deal if Girardi also comes back the other way.

Tampa would want straight prospects/picks, and JT miller isn't worthless. So striking out on FAs hurts.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Option's getting thinner by the second. The dream scenario would be getting Pacioretty, but there is no way we are going to be able pay what he wants.

Just for fun, what do you think we would have to give up to get him?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Option's getting thinner by the second. The dream scenario would be getting Pacioretty, but there is no way we are going to be able pay what he wants.

Just for fun, what do you think we would have to give up to get him?

I don't like Pacioretty re: the Subban situation. And I wouldn't want to give up a ton to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad