GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Frustrating. Though I’m glad we didn’t end up doing 5x7. I’m comfortable with 5 years with lesser dollars or 4 years and 7 mil, but not 5x7 together.

I hope there’s a damn good plan B. I think I’d rather trade for Pacioretty than sign Grabner or Perron.
I just can’t tell what Montreal is even doing? I can’t say whether Pacioretty would be available or not. Maybe if they sign Perron and Duclair they can sell the French media and fan base on moving Patches?

It’s a tough spot for them. They traded PK Subban who was heir apparent to the throne because he’s not the personality type they want to identify as. Then they trot out Max “Premier Person” Pacioretty and plop the C on his chest as a sign of how the Habs are going to be built.

Flash forward and Weber has been disappointing, Pacioretty is struggling, and the team is a dumpster fire. The optics on trading Pacioretty would be so effing bad for Bergevin. Honestly, he’s taking enough heat right now. It’s probabky his best move to hope they get lucky and the guillotine hanging over his head doesn’t drop for another season.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just can’t tell what Montreal is even doing? I can’t say whether Pacioretty would be available or not. Maybe if they sign Perron and Duclair they can sell the French media and fan base on moving Patches?

It’s a tough spot for them. They traded PK Subban who was heir apparent to the throne because he’s not the personality type they want to identify as. Then they trot out Max “Premier Person” Pacioretty and plop the C on his chest as a sign of how the Habs are going to be built.

Flash forward and Weber has been disappointing, Pacioretty is struggling, and the team is a dumpster fire. The optics on trading Pacioretty would be so effing bad for Bergevin. Honestly, he’s taking enough heat right now. It’s probabky his best move to hope they get lucky and the guillotine hanging over his head doesn’t drop for another season.
I don't think Weber has been disappointing as a Hab unless you consider injured as disappointing.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Well, I mean I guess goals are okay. But Patches is...by all accounts...a premium person. So we may be all in.

Of course, we don’t seem to care much for goals:

Saw this earlier. Glad we decided on a guy we wont see make a lick of difference for the next three years.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, I mean I guess goals are okay. But Patches is...by all accounts...a premium person. So we may be all in.

Is that Wahlstrom?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
James Neal might be my next move if the contract is reasonable. Something less than what we offered JVR.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If Neal turned down 6.5M in Vegas, hes not taking 6M in Arizona. My guess is 6 is our max on a player, currently, Unless we make a trade for something more lucrative.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If JVR got 500k--1m more than was being talked about 24 hours ago isn't Neals price now higher?
I remember something about him wanting 7 as well ,seems like he might get it.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If JVR got 500k--1m more than was being talked about 24 hours ago isn't Neals price now higher?
I remember something about him wanting 7 as well ,seems like he might get it.

To be fair I'd rather have JVR than Neal. JVR has better point totals. Both score at a similar rate, though. But I dont think Neal takes anything less than what Vegas offered.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Not when you take Strome 3OA and have yet to see him play more than 40 games. We are desperate for goal scorers. and Zadina would have killed two birds with one stone here. Not too mention he was ranked the top 3rd prospect in the world by many in the game.
I do recall the same high praise that Zadina has been getting was once bestowed upon Nail Yakupov. Remember "Fail for Nail? It is way to soon to think that the Coyotes made a mistake in passing over him to chose Hayton.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

If we'd had a better season last year, we may have drafted him by default. He's the player I wanted, I trust they think Hayton will be better for us and hope they're correct.

Edit: However - slick moves at development camp obviously mean nothing.

rt

May 13, 2004
While that was fun feeling like we had a shot at JVR for a second. Here comes Tyler Ennis
Tyler Ennis makes me sad. I loved him as a prospect. I was thrilled he took off early in his career. But man oh man did concussions take the light out of that poor kid. Watching interviews before his problems and after is problems is scary. Like Peter Mueller. Just a different guy after.

Reactions: SniperHF

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Charlie Coyle has two years left on his deal at 3.2 per year...make a trade for him and sign Grabner at around 2 million per year for two years and that’s still less than what we would have paid JVR and we get two RW’s...Coyle can play C as well. Wouldn’t be a long term commitment and we could decide if we wanted to keep Coyle for longer in another year or two. Just an example, but if we can’t grab a big name like Skinner I’d like to see something like that go down..

rt

May 13, 2004
Charlie Coyle has two years left on his deal at 3.2 per year...make a trade for him and sign Grabner at around 2 million per year for two years and that’s still less than what we would have paid JVR and we get two RW’s...Coyle can play C as well. Wouldn’t be a long term commitment and we could decide if we wanted to keep Coyle for longer in another year or two. Just an example, but if we can’t grab a big name like Skinner I’d like to see something like that go down..
Grabner is going to cost a hell of a lot more than that. He’s coming off of back-to-back 27g seasons with zero PP time. I have major concerns about his ability to transfer that success elsewhere, but somebody will pay him on the gamble that he’ll be able to continue his success in a more featured role with more choosy minutes. It could be us. It’ll be for a lot more than 2x2. I’d guess more like double that.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I actually like Neal more than JVR. I don't think we have a chance, but I'd be happy. Perron would be a fine consolation prize.

I'd settle for two middle-tier forwards and DeMelo.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad