GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Anything we can do to lure Auston back home I’m in for. For the sake of the team though, I do not want to gut what we’ve been doing.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Anything we can do to lure Auston back home I’m in for. For the sake of the team though, I do not want to gut what we’ve been doing.
I don't see any way it happens. The Leafs own him until he is a UFA, no way they trade him. Unless he refuses to report, they can let him sit, or punches Babcock. Mathews might want out, and might want to play in AZ, so what, he has no rights. Toronto isn't trading him because his feelings are hurt or he is mad at Babcock.

Reactions: Jakey53

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I don't see any way it happens. The Leafs own him until he is a UFA, no way they trade him. Unless he refuses to report, they can let him sit, or punches Babcock. Mathews might want out, and might want to play in AZ, so what, he has no rights. Toronto isn't trading him because his feelings are hurt or he is mad at Babcock.

I agree. And I doubt we see him available anytime soon. UFA is our only chance.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Now, could Ottawa, NYI, Boston and MTL get organized to each sheet a different Toronto player? Interesting. They could throw Toronto into cap hell by working together.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Now, could Ottawa, NYI, Boston and MTL get organized to each sheet a different Toronto player? Interesting. They could throw Toronto into cap hell by working together.
It would be downright impossible with there only being one Toronto player eligible for an offer sheet???

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Was thinking about a multi year effort.
That was obvious to most.

I think we may start seeing an offer sheet more often with how many players are ready to play so young. There are a lot more players in their early 20's putting up legit star numbers than there used to be. Makes more sense to land them on a high salary if you think they can sustain production. Pay a little more now for a fixed cost asset that is young enough now to produce high end stats throughout the deal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Was thinking about a multi year effort.
I don't think it makes much sense to collude on a plan that no one has any idea if it will even exist. And there are 3 at most with at least one being handled this summer.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Just a reminder that everyone's favorite free agent, Mike Ribeiro, will be making $1,944,444 from the Coyotes this year.

Ribs, living the glam life!

UO6v6PK49CAzNZW-Mbxo5Ogo4R9aBRb8ZtHtYL3pOjA.jpg

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Has anyone ever heard Mathews wants to play in AZ? Aren't Toronto fans notorious for always thinking any Ontario born player will "come back home" to them?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Toronto won't want to sign a four -year deal on Matthews. That's where the offer sheet comes in if he wants out. They match, and he goes to free agency in his prime.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Toronto won't want to sign a four -year deal on Matthews. That's where the offer sheet comes in if he wants out. They match, and he goes to free agency in his prime.

Long deals are much better for the player. They get their contracts index-regulated as the cap goes up, right?. An old contract on a cap hit of, say 8 mill, goes up with the cap, so when the cap has climbed 30% thats actually 8*1.3 in salary. It does still count as "only" 8 mill in cap-hit. So a bigger star will always ask for as long a contract as possible, and the teams will really want to give them long contracts. A big star signing a shorter contract is odd.

When you calculate how much picks you give, there is a trick against shorter terms if I've understood this right. So short term don't lower the price. Not at all.

So you end up offering a whole lot of picks, while signing a player to a contract he will end up getting less money on.

Bad plan.

Future picks is so easy to undervalue. Just go read about how the Flames fans felt about not holding their first rounder this year if you don't believe me... They were scared to death Islanders should win the lottery with their pick. It was still suddenly a lot even if they didn't win.

So, Rinaldo to Nashville, Duclair to CBJ. Anything else fun?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Long deals are much better for the player. They get their contracts index-regulated as the cap goes up, right?

No. In fact the PA keeps voting to increase the cap disproportionately to revenue, so their escrew increases. They actually make less money when that artificial cap-growth happens.

And a player frequently takes a shorter deal as RFA to not sell their UFA years. The odds of a GM offering them the keys to the kingdom increase as a young UFA as opposed to RFA, along with the nontrivial "pick your team" angle.

So if he takes a 10x4 contract, and then signs a 11x7 or 12x7 deal (perhaps more as the cap may have increased further in four years time), he actually makes more in his prime years than a 10x8 contract signed next year. And he's only 32 for his next contract.

And a four-year offer sheet has nothing to do with the picks and comps. Toronto would match, not take the picks. It just gets him to UFA faster. Helps your chances of picking him up in 2023 instead of seeing him in Toronto for longer. It's just maneuvering. So if he does want out of the fishbowl (or just wants to test the market as UFA), that is the path for him to do it.

Last edited:

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Not sure who cares but i'm hearing the Jets and Adam Lowry are within half a million per year. Should be a 4 year around 2.75 in the end.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure who cares but i'm hearing the Jets and Adam Lowry are within half a million per year. Should be a 4 year around 2.75 in the end.
Lowry is a beast. No offense to speak of but he is basically Hanzal. Great defensively, mean and hits to hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad