GDT: Free Agent Frenzy | The Madness Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Possible trade with Anaheim.
To Anaheim: Kasperi Kapanen (3.2 x 3) + Codi Ceci (4.5 x 1) + Mac Hollowell (.8 x 3) or a draft pick(s), Anaheim does not have a pick in the 4th and 7th rounds...total cap = 8.3M with Hollowell, 7.5M without Hollowell.
To Toronto: Patrick Eaves (3.15 x 1) + Josh Manson (4.1 x 3) total cap = 7.25M

Johnson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikayev Kerfoot Moore
Marchment Spezza Shore
Goat Petan

Rielly Manson
Muzzin Barrie
Borgman Dermott

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
One thing I do like is that the league is making a heavy move towards risk management; the other big three do it, so it's about time I think.

Simmonds and Lehner (high risk players) got one year tickets for big money. Frk got one on less dollars.

Pavelski and Stralman got three years due to advanced age.

Nyqvist, Connolly, Donskoi, Hathaway and Varlamov got four year deals.

Bread, Bob and Duchene were the marquee guys so they probably required 7 to even get the door open for talks. That Duchene deal is sterling, Bread man is overpaid but it'll sting less with cap rises and Bob was getting at least 9 no matter how its sliced.

Really the only derp worthy deal was Tanev on six years but in six years the cap will be at or over 100 million and that deal is easily moved.

Even Myers got a very fair deal from Dim Jim!

Could we be seeing GMs beginning to get wise to the younger direction the league is taking?

Based on historical risers the cap is 81.5 now: six years ago (Tanev) it was 64.3 (+17.2).

Six years before that it was 50.3 (+14.0).

The cap only stagnated between 08-09 and 09-10, going up just 100k.

I look around at the deals made and a few that have yet to be made (Jake will get 5.75x6 somewhere) and I think 'not bad...'

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
One thing I do like is that the league is making a heavy move towards risk management; the other big three do it, so it's about time I think.

Simmonds and Lehner (high risk players) got one year tickets for big money. Frk got one on less dollars.

Pavelski and Stralman got three years due to advanced age.

Nyqvist, Connolly, Donskoi, Hathaway and Varlamov got four year deals.

Bread, Bob and Duchene were the marquee guys so they probably required 7 to even get the door open for talks. That Duchene deal is sterling, Bread man is overpaid but it'll sting less with cap rises and Bob was getting at least 9 no matter how its sliced.

Really the only derp worthy deal was Tanev on six years but in six years the cap will be at or over 100 million and that deal is easily moved.

Even Myers got a very fair deal from Dim Jim!

Could we be seeing GMs beginning to get wise to the younger direction the league is taking?

Based on historical risers the cap is 81.5 now: six years ago (Tanev) it was 64.3 (+17.2).

Six years before that it was 50.3 (+14.0).

The cap only stagnated between 08-09 and 09-10, going up just 100k.

I look around at the deals made and a few that have yet to be made (Jake will get 5.75x6 somewhere) and I think 'not bad...'

The main guy I'm surprised isn't signed yet is Ferland tbh.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Kerfoot should play wing 100%.

Johansson - Matthews - Willy
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Spezza - Kapanen
(New Russian guy) - Shore - Moore

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Marincin/ Liljeren

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Kerfoot should play wing 100%.

Johansson - Matthews - Willy
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Spezza - Kapanen
(New Russian guy) - Shore - Moore

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Marincin/ Liljeren
Mikhayev (?) is definitely not a 4th line type of player.

Bottom 6 more like this:

Mikhayev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Marchment/Engvall - Spezza - Moore

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Bottom 6 more like this:

With both Shore and Agostino signed I would be surprised if Marchment/Engvall made the team this coming fall

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Harpur is not an NHL caliber player he will probably see less than 10 games with Leafs. Also paying Kerfoot whatever he is going to get in arb is lunacy. He is trash. Leafs should try and move him and sign Brian Boyle.
Kerfoot has back to back 40 point seasons (his only two seasons in the NHL), yet he is trash.

Your schtick has become tiresome.

Reactions: Advanced stats

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Kerfoot has back to back 40 point seasons (his only two seasons in the NHL), yet he is trash.

Your schtick has become tiresome.

Watch games. There is no "schtick".. if you don't like the posts hit the ignore button, or move along. Not a difficult concept.

I'm assuming you've never watched him play and only read charts. But, but, but he had 40 points. Try thinking for yourself for once.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Bottom 6 more like this:

I don't think we know enough about Ilya Mikheyev to say whether he is a 4th line player. He might not even be an NHLer, but we'll see what he does at training camp.

We've got a whole pile of guys who will fight for spots. I think we got 8 forwards locked in: the Hyman-Tavares-Marner line, the Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander line, and Kerfoot and Kapanen. Kerfoot could play LW or C. That leaves 4 open line-up slots, plus the spare.

Spezza, Shore, Mikheyev, Moore, and Agostini would be my preferences, but Gauthier, Petan, Marchement, Engvall, Bracco, and Korshkov could steal one.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think we know enough about Ilya Mikheyev to say whether he is a 4th line player. He might not even be an NHLer, but we'll see what he does at training camp.

We've got a whole pile of guys who will fight for spots. I think we got 8 forwards locked in: the Hyman-Tavares-Marner line, the Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander line, and Kerfoot and Kapanen. Kerfoot could play LW or C. That leaves 4 open line-up slots, plus the spare.

Spezza, Shore, Mikheyev, Moore, and Agostini would be my preferences, but Gauthier, Petan, Marchement, Engvall, Bracco, and Korshkov could steal one.

Korshkov won't even get a sniff at nhl next year. He's not nearly close to ready

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Watch games. There is no "schtick".. if you don't like the posts hit the ignore button, or move along. Not a difficult concept.

I'm assuming you've never watched him play and only read charts. But, but, but he had 40 points. Try thinking for yourself for once.

I didn’t know you were a Leaf fan and an Avs fan.

Thank god you watched dozens of Avs game to provide us with your analysis.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I didn’t know you were a Leaf fan and an Avs fan.

Thank god you watched dozens of Avs game to provide us with your analysis.

You only watch leaf games? It's not possible to watch more games than just your favourite team?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What if........ and hear me out............

Dubas finds a way to re-sign Gardiner?

Marner re-signs for 3 years at a cheaper rate, opening a decent chunk of cap space and Gardiner takes a 1 year deal with the idea of giving him a bit of a bigger contract in January?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lmfao let’s put Nylander in a position to fail (3c) then complain when he doesn’t live up to his expectations

I’m with you, Nylander needs to play in the top 6, no doubt about it
well at least we won't have to listen to how "elite Willy" can't do s**t playing with a couple of stiffs like Marleau and Brown. That excuse has vaporized, and I agree he better play with Mathews because riding Austin's coattails is probably the only way he does live up to expectations.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Marner re-signs for 3 years at a cheaper rate, opening a decent chunk of cap space and Gardiner takes a 1 year deal with the idea of giving him a bit of a bigger contract in January?

Unless Gards wants to pull a Kariya and sign for way less than hes worth to jump on this year, I cant see it happening.

Hes getting 7+ out on the market.

It would be really interesting to see how the pairings would mix with him here though.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

That would be awesome. Jake has great talent but we've been so thin on D for years he was probably playing more than he should

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless Gards wants to pull a Kariya and sign for way less than hes worth to jump on this year, I cant see it happening.

Hes getting 7+ out on the market.

It would be really interesting to see how the pairings would mix with him here though.

I'm dreaming a bit here of course but if they work out some sort of agreement that will get Gardiner a good amount of money long-term, even if short-term it sounds like a big pay cut... But I agree, it's very likely not happening. I just find it fascinating he hasn't signed yet despite being one of the better available defenseman out there and Dubas saying they are still talking to him.

If it did happen, the pairings would be out of this world.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Our defense is some permutation of;

Rielly. Ceci
Muzzin. Barrie
Dermott. Xxxx

Absolutely no reason to bring gardiner back imo.

Reactions: dsred

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Our defense is some permutation of;

Rielly. Ceci
Muzzin. Barrie
Dermott. Xxxx

Absolutely no reason to bring gardiner back imo.

Just think of the possibilities here...

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Dermott
Gardiner Ceci

... let me dream okay :cry:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I doubt it. It's not possible to fit Gardiner in even at a reduced rate, regardless of what Marner takes. Only way Gardiner could ever fit in would be to trade another roster guy, and the Leafs should not (and almost certainly will not) do that for someone of Gardiner's caliber.

The main thing is to get Ceci and Kerfoot locked in at reasonable numbers so you can still get a better backup than Michael Hutchinson or Garret Sparks. If Ceci gets 4.5 mill, which is at least 1 mill more than he's worth, then that's going to be tough for the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I enjoy reading the rumor thread throughout the year, I get a kick out of the multi player trades some posters come up with. They always amuse me and I usually think "as if that much movement could ever happen." Well yesterday felt like a multi player Shanaplan trade proposal, so far fetch you'd never think that much activity could happen, but here we are.

I've questioned Dubas' stones in the past, and like or hate what happened yesterday he certainly isn't afraid to pull the trigger on deals that's for damn sure..........

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad