GDT: Free Agent Frenzy | The Madness Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
one would think that "elite" players can drive their own lines and don't need to be paired with other "elite" players to be successful. Yes, pairing them up obviously makes for a more potent line, but Mathews was doing fine while Nylander was holding out, Nylander looked lost at times last year playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd line.

Let's hope he can do better next season, and if that means being stapled to Mathew's wing to ensure success than I'm all for it.
Marner would look just as crap with marleau and brown.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
stop with the pasta references when taking about Nylander, your just embarrassing yourself. Pasta is a complete player, he can shoot, pass, score, take a hit, and dish out hits. Nylander not so much............
Lol way to go over the top and blow my post way out of proportions.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's the thing.

I'm fine with trading Ceci/letting him go, but they have to replace him with a RHD that can eat those minutes.

on the UFA market there's nothing left for RHD's even of his calibre.

Yeah, I know.

I only see people talking about him not playing and then saying the Leafs have nothing in the minors.

He played a tonne of minutes on the PK last year, for the Leafs it was Zaitsev and Hainsey.

I'd be interested in hearing some reasoned thought on how the Leafs PK is going to be structured this year.

I'm guessing training camp is going to be competitive, and until we see everyone out there a dull pencil is about the best line-up card today.

There are prospects no one has ever seen play against NHL players in North America, so I'm not sold that Holl, Marincin, or other long in the tooth player is going to win the job.

There is always a possibility of another Kaberle showing up out of no where to steal a spot.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, I know.

I only see people talking about him not playing and then saying the Leafs have nothing in the minors.

He played a tonne of minutes on the PK last year, for the Leafs it was Zaitsev and Hainsey.

I'd be interested in hearing some reasoned thought on how the Leafs PK is going to be structured this year.

I'm guessing training camp is going to be competitive, and until we see everyone out there a dull pencil is about the best line-up card today.

There are prospects no one has ever seen play against NHL players in North America, so I'm not sold that Holl, Marincin, or other long in the tooth player is going to win the job.

There is always a possibility of another Kaberle showing up out of no where to steal a spot.

I'm ok with a 1 year pump and dump of his value, if you assume Liljegren is full time in 2020-21 (which considering that's his d+4 seeason, he should be)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner would look just as crap with marleau and brown.
ha ha too funny, Marner could put up points regardless of who he's on a line with, sure it helps to have JT on your line, but Marner can create chances all over the ice, he doesn't have to rely on racing up the boards, slamming on the brakes and dishing the puck before having to deal with opposing players getting near enough to engage in contact. That's what I saw in spades from WN last season.

Reactions: dsred and Faltorvo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm ok with a 1 year pump and dump of his value, if you assume Liljegren is full time in 2020-21 (which considering that's his d+4 seeason, he should be)

Very likely Liljegren gets a long look in training camp. If he impresses a lot, it's possible he gets a shot to start with the Leafs, especially with Dermott out for a bit. If he gets sent down, I fully expect him to be called up at some point in the season so he can get NHL games in and to evaluate his progress --- similar to Rosen and Dermott over the past couple seasons.

Reactions: CelticDruid

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
True enough.

I'm just not positive Holl is going to be the guy, there are unknowns in the system. Holl is a known, isn't young, and hasn't solidified his position.

I 100% agree, I don't mind Holl as a 7th defenseman to sit in the press box because I don't care about his development and he has the lowest cap hit.

I do want a better defenseman on this roster though.

Ceci seems like the obvious guy to remove.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Jake wants to re-sign and is waiting on the Leafs to wrap up Mitch before signing.

Even if Marner signs for under what is expected, and with Ceci and Kerfoot likely around 7.5M combined, the Leafs will have around 1M of cap space even after Horton is on LTIR. (Very loose calculation here).

Unless Jake takes the biggest pay cut ever with the idea of getting a long-term extension in January... I would chuck this up to "It's not happening".

If Dubas can convince Gardiner of doing this, you might as well give him GM of the Year.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
ha ha too funny, Marner could put up points regardless of who he's on a line with, sure it helps to have JT on your line, but Marner can create chances all over the ice, he doesn't have to rely on racing up the boards, slamming on the brakes and dishing the puck before having to deal with opposing players getting near enough to engage in contact. That's what I saw in spades from WN last season.
Avatar bet? Willy puts up 70 this year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Avatar bet? Willy puts up 70 this year.
no thanks on the wager, I hope Nylander lights it up as much as anyone, but he'll have to play like last year's WC Nylander not NHL Nylander. Here's hoping that can happen.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Leave it to Babcock to staple Marleau/Kapanen to his wing early. And Kapanen/Johnsson to his wings to end.
Marleau is self explanatory. Kapanen/Johnsson are fine young players - I like them both BUT:

Every single one of the players Matthews, Marleau, Johnsson and Kapanen are shooters.
It's nonsense line construction.
Matthews is arguably the best goalscorer in the entire NHL. He should be riding shotgun to at least 1 playmaking style player at all times.
At least we don’t have to worry about Marleau anchoring Matthews anymore

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Based on cap considerations etc we have currently, even besides the Marner signing, there is probably at least 1 more trade coming.

Dubas has done well so far.

Reactions: ACC1224

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
I have to agree, Ceci at 4.5 seem steep for a team desperate for cap space.
He only has 1 year left compared to Zaitsev 4 years after this year he’s a ufa which we can use for Barrie when he’s a ufa .. then sandin can take Ceci pos

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Based on cap considerations etc we have currently, even besides the Marner signing, there is probably at least 1 more trade coming.

Dubas has done well so far.
Yea I would trade nylander for a 1st and few top prospects.. I honestly think bracco will do better on a line with Mathews but that’s my opinion.. with the remaining cap no problem signing marner and would also sign Ferland for 2 years

Reactions: WendelGartner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yea I would trade nylander for a 1st and few top prospects.. I honestly think bracco will do better on a line with Mathews but that’s my opinion

Wouldn't trade Nylander for prospects, we have Matthews under contract for 5 years, that is our window to win a cup because there are no guarantees after that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He only has 1 year left compared to Zaitsev 4 years after this year he’s a ufa which we can use for Barrie when he’s a ufa .. then sandin can take Ceci pos
no doubt 1 year of Ceci at 4.5 is better than 5 years of zaitev at 4.5, but he's still overpaid imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->