GDT: Free Agent Frenzy | The Madness Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Nylander played center while Kadri was out in the playoffs. I would not be shocked if he slides into Kadris spot and Kerfoot gets to play speedster next to Matthews or Tavares.

Options are not going to be a problem.
I am not putting nylander off matthews wing. Give matthews some players that are at least somewhat skilled and have play making ability. We are paying willy 7 mill.

Matty is way better with him not doing it all himself. Willy is way better as a winger.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Looking back on the Zaitsev trade, it was a huge precursor to allow the leafs to sign one of Muzzin or Barrie (most likely will be Barrie) beyond this year.

We could keep both. We will have probably anywhere from 10-14 million to spend on 2 D. Worst case wouldnhabeb to off load kappy or mango. To keep both.

But right now we are going into the season with....

Johnson. Matthews Nylander.
Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Mikayev. Kerfoot. Kapanen
Moore. Spezza. Shore.
Goat.

Rielly. Barrie
muzzin. Ceci.
Harpur. Dermott

Our C depth is incredible. Babcock now has 2 rhd.

And........ he has d who are 6’3, 6’3, 6’6

No excuses. This is cup contender

Reactions: biotk

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander

Mikeyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen

Moore - Spezza - Shore/Agostino

Rielly - Dermott??

Muzzin - Barrie

Borgman - Ceci

Who am I missing?

Sep 18, 2009
We could keep both. We will have probably anywhere from 10-14 million to spend on 2 D. Worst case wouldnhabeb to off load kappy or mango. To keep both.

But right now we are going into the season with....

Johnson. Matthews Nylander.
Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Mikayev. Kerfoot. Kapanen
Moore. Spezza. Shore.
Goat.

Rielly. Barrie
muzzin. Ceci.
Harpur. Dermott

Our C depth is incredible. Babcock now has 2 rhd.

And........ he has d who are 6’3, 6’3, 6’6

No excuses. This is cup contender
Perhaps we shall make it out the first round before we expect the cup

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Just watched a bunch of film on Harpur. Not very skilled but he is a tough SOB. Something we haven't really had on the back end for a while.

Harpur is not an NHL caliber player he will probably see less than 10 games with Leafs. Also paying Kerfoot whatever he is going to get in arb is lunacy. He is trash. Leafs should try and move him and sign Brian Boyle.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Harpur is not an NHL caliber player he will probably see less than 10 games with Leafs. Also paying Kerfoot whatever he is going to get in arb is lunacy. He is trash. Leafs should try and move him and sign Brian Boyle.

Need to watch more of Kerfoot to make my own evaluation. But another option may be to give Petan some real minutes. Small, but I think the Leafs should find out what they have.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man i would just love for us to dump Ceci. Trade him to the Panthers for someone like Psyck. Both are 1 year deals only Psyck is a bit cheaper. If they want something extra I'd add a 4th to make it work

Reactions: Multigrain

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander

Mikeyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen

Moore - Spezza - Shore/Agostino

Rielly - Dermott??

Muzzin - Barrie

Borgman - Ceci

Who am I missing?

I don’t think Kerfoot is a lock to even play center. He’s kind of split his career between center and left wing, which I think continues here. He and Kapanen can flank either Spezza or Shore, and Kerfoot can take face offs when a leftie is needed.

Having two face off men on every line is a huge advantage. First guy in can cheat like hell, and be replaced by another competent face off man if he gets kicked.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I am not putting nylander off matthews wing. Give matthews some players that are at least somewhat skilled and have play making ability. We are paying willy 7 mill.

Matty is way better with him not doing it all himself. Willy is way better as a winger.
At no time has Matty showed a drive to do anything himself and that's part of the problem that he has to pick up the compete department by 40%. This is why Babs didn't give him the minutes especially in game 7 that all of you think he should have. He has to implement hunger in his game and stop this Brett Hull of St. Louis impersonation

Willy is IMO better at center and if you ask me play him with Kaps and AJ you will start to notice just how dynamic of a player Willy is.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Just watched a bunch of film on Harpur. Not very skilled but he is a tough SOB. Something we haven't really had on the back end for a while.
I don't think he is that tough. Some think he is soft and afraid to use his body. Maybe Babcocks system will help him. He spent alot of time in the press box.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There's still some decent players unsigned

I know we've got no cap space but there's a couple of guys that would intrest me still if we had some

Hutton, Gardiner, Kruger, Boyle, Sheahan, Rieder, Jaskin, Andrighetto, Johansson, Brassard, Girardi, Maroon, Dzingel

Obviously some are going to cost way more than others but some of them could be going cheap

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I know we've got no cap space but there's a couple of guys that would intrest me still if we had some

Hutton, Gardiner, Kruger, Boyle, Sheahan, Rieder, Jaskin, Andrighetto, Johansson, Brassard, Girardi, Maroon, Dzingel

Obviously some are going to cost way more than others but some of them could be going cheap
We could use Hutton or Boyle. I think those are the most realistic options but even they may cost too much without knowing what Marner will cost. Trading Ceci for nothing and signing Hutton for around the same cap hit would seem like a good move IMO.

Reactions: Kiwi

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Forward-wise, we look pretty good 5-on-5. The PK was not addressed at all, outside of Nick Shore, who may not even make the roster. Are we going to try guys who have never really done it before, like Kerfoot and Moore? At the same time, how many guys do we sign? There’s already several guys headed to the Marlies.

Defense-wise, same thing, we need at least one more PKer.

Andreas Johnsson-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Zach Hyman-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Alex Kerfoot-Jason Spezza-Kasperi Kapanen
Ilya Mikheyev-Nick Shore-Trevor Moore

Morgan Rielly-Tyson Barrie
Jake Muzzin-Cody Ceci
Martin Marincin-Travis Dermott

Looking at that, the main spots to upgrade are #3 center, #6 defenseman, and maybe #4 defenseman.

Dan Girardi on the right contract would be perfect. He could be Dermott’s Ron Hainsey.

Up front, guys like Marcus Kruger and Riley Sheahan aren’t much better than what we have 5-on-5, but are experienced and quality PKers.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

This. People around here complain about Willy's contract enough and some want to bury him as a 3C with no chance of living up to the deal. It was bad enough hearing about it in the playoffs when Willy had to take Kadri's spot and try to squeeze water from the stones that were Brown and Marleau. I'm sure even Babcock was pissed it had to be that way but Kadri forced it on us by getting himself suspended again. If Matthews had Nylander with him the whole series there's a good chance we'd have won. He was just getting his momentum back.

Reactions: kb

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York

Lmfao let’s put Nylander in a position to fail (3c) then complain when he doesn’t live up to his expectations

I’m with you, Nylander needs to play in the top 6, no doubt about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad