Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part VI: Someone Get Gorton A Vesey Button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
None of those guys except Nash were elite, and there is no question that the head injuries altered his game.

Everyone is at risk for those though.
Why is panarin elite but Richard isn't?

Richards last 2 seen before joining us was a 91 in 89 and a 77 in 70...

Both better than anything panarin has ever done in his career ever. And he played a significantly more important position. He was 32 when we got him..and that's when his game started to fall off a cliff.

Brad Richards was definitely elite.

Drury wasn't elite...but he was pretty close.

You get all these guys from the wrong segment of their careers

Reactions: DutchShamrock

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If panarin was 24 I'd be all over throwing him a 7x10 contract ..that takes him thru the entire prime of his career ..you're getting peak..ish years . I don't wanna pay for a guys age 32 plus season as if he was age 24.

I hate to quote @RangerBoy here but... It's a business....this would be a poor business move.

Unless he's willing to sign a massive discount deal...like 4 years 7.5mil per...I just don't see it...and even then it would waste his few remaining oeak years while keeping us as a borderline playoff team barring other moves.

Timing seems wrong.

i dont disagree with your logic. players begin to slide at 27, so theres that. question is, to what degree does he slip after 27.

hes a guy i would roll the dice on. this isnt an msl thing.

he's got a lot of miles left and that righty sniper thing is so enticing.

im less patient i guess. i want the rebuild to be sooner and more aggressive.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Both better than anything panarin has ever done in his career ever. And he played a significantly more important position. He was 32 when we got him..and that's when his game started to fall off a cliff.

Look at the scoring rates during those seasons though. People score less now than they did then.

Richards was a very good, if not a great player, but he’s never been the guy to really stir the drink.

Panarin was that guy for CBJ last year. What’s impressive is that his numbers got better with out Patrick Kane.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You're on the money with the risk and normally I would be right there with you. However, I think in this case you need to look at the amount of hockey those guys had played over their careers. Richards had a ton of miles on his body and there were already rumors of concussion concerns. Drury was almost a shoe in for 15-20 post season games each year in addition to the full schedule and he played a warrior brand of hockey throughout his entire career. They were also both centers which generally takes more of a toll.

That all being said, the money has to be right. You can't just throw a blank check at the guy, but if you can get him for the Kucherov AAV? That might be a good fit.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm all for signing Breadman, especially since Chytil and Andersson should be NHL ready by then (if not sooner). Playing with a talent like Panarin can only help with their development.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I just find it difficult to get behind a position of...this player will age better than like every played in nhl history other than jaromir jagr because....he didn't play the bulk of his career here...

I'm not a numbers guy...but the numbers say at what ..age 24 most players begin their downward fall in production...how many players continue to produce at an elite level anymore into their mid 30s.

This isn't the rangers of 10 years ago when we had a bright future and we're on the cusp of competing.. we're at the very beginning of our rebuild with very few cornerstone building blocks in their prime to work with for the next 10 years . At absolute best panarin has what . .4 years left of elite production.

Are the rangers a cup contender in that window? I'd argue no.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Look at the scoring rates during those seasons though. People score less now than they did then.

Richards was a very good, if not a great player, but he’s never been the guy to really stir the drink.

Panarin was that guy for CBJ last year. What’s impressive is that his numbers got better with out Patrick Kane.
Brad Richards led Dallas in scoring every year he was healthy. He stirred the drink.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just find it difficult to get behind a position of...this player will age better than like every played in nhl history other than jaromir jagr because....he didn't play the bulk of his career here...

I'm not a numbers guy...but the numbers say at what ..age 24 most players begin their downward fall in production...how many players continue to produce at an elite level anymore into their mid 30s.

This isn't the rangers of 10 years ago when we had a bright future and we're on the cusp of competing.. we're at the very beginning of our rebuild with very few cornerstone building blocks in their prime to work with for the next 10 years . At absolute best panarin has what . .4 years left of elite production.

Are the rangers a cup contender in that window? I'd argue no.

They’re definitely not in that window. This team will be bad next year.

2 years after next? They should be there IMO as long as they play their cards right.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The length of the rebuild will be determined with how bad the Rangers are this season. Getting Jack Hughes cuts a full year off immediately. It would be wise for those who want a quick rebuild to root for complete and utter failure from the team this season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Zucc has led us in scoring for the last few years.

He’s no drink stirrer
Sigh.

Richards was 7th in the nhl in scoring 2 seasons before he joined us and then 10th the year before.

But that's nowhere near as elite and awesome and omfg let's sign him now as panarins 10 (with Kane) and 20th in the super low scoring nhl last season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They’re definitely not in that window. This team will be bad next year.

2 years after next? They should be there IMO as long as they play their cards right.
2 years after next...you're projecting out where this team will be in 2 years..something that you could ask 20 different people and get 20 different answers...as justification for signing a guy who in 3 years..when you're expecting to be good again will be entering his age 31 season... You know how many scorers were age 31 last season in the top 50?

So best case scenario you've got 1 year to win with this guy as your drink stirrer.

Edit
Or will he be 30 for that season....typing on phone and looking up stats is hard.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sigh.

Richards was 7th in the nhl in scoring 2 seasons before he joined us and then 10th the year before.

But that's nowhere near as elite and awesome and omfg let's sign him now as panarins 10 (with Kane) and 20th in the super low scoring nhl last season.

I think the difference with Richards and Panarin was that Richards was considerable older. Panarin's 7 year deal would be 4-5 years in by the time he reaches the same age at which the Rangers signed Richards at.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc has led us in scoring for the last few years.

He’s no drink stirrer

The ladies stir Zucc's drinks.

Speaking of trades, you can't move a player when there are no takers, that's been the case around the league this summer.

Zucc would like to sign with the Penguins, and I believe they are interested. What do you think would be a fair deal with them?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think the difference with Richards and Panarin was that Richards was considerable older. Panarin's 7 year deal would be 4-5 years in by the time he reaches the same age at which the Rangers signed Richards at.
Didn't Richards join us at age 31? Panarin turned 28 at the start of his hypothetical contract right?
3 year difference. And basically most ppl assume that those 3 years are throw away years for the rangers since we're still gonna suck barring some homerun production from kids and not playing Cody effing mccleod.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Speaking of trades, you can't move a player when there are no takers, that's been the case around the league this summer.

Zucc would like to sign with the Penguins, and I believe they are interested. What do you think would be a fair deal with them?

Zucc please no. Why you do this to us?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'm pretty sure you stir your own drinks.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The silver lining to the Panarin/EK65 situation is that we’ll have the cap flexibility next offseason and we can use this year to determine if signing of them will be a smart move or not.

For this season, I’m expecting to see Panarin moved to some team like San Jose where he’d be an interesting rental. They’ll be clearing a lot of salary over the next two years, so maybe a long-term deal wouldn’t be out of the question. The Pavelski situation could be interesting, but I don’t think he’ll be a problem. Their biggest issues are the long-term outlook of their defense and lack of picks these past couple of years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think ppl are misunderstanding me here as well. I definitely think panarin is an elite player. I think he will continue to be an elite player for the next 3 or 4 years. I also think he's going to fall off a cliff shortly after that as almost every player in nhl history has.

I think the rangers will not be in a position to compete for a cup during his prime elite years we would have left.

I fail to see how it makes sense to sign a player to be awesome for us when we suck...and who will suck for us when we become awesome.

That is my issue here.

Reactions: ncmike

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Didn't Richards join us at age 31? Panarin turned 28 at the start of his hypothetical contract right?
3 year difference. And basically most ppl assume that those 3 years are throw away years for the rangers since we're still gonna suck barring some homerun production from kids and not playing Cody effing mccleod.

Yes he was 31.

Btw, Panarin outscored the next highest scoring forward on his team by a whopping 34 points. Richards had Loui Ericksson attached to his hip at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad