Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part VI: Someone Get Gorton A Vesey Button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Since my searing hot take on Price got stranded as the last post of the previous thread, I'm gonna be Nando's-level cheeky and repost it in this one.

The topic was whether Montreal's 17-18 season proved that you can be a cellar-level team with a Hank/Price-level goalie.

Price is not close to Hank, he only did that one single season and that's hardly unique.

Price just managed to be the goalie who negatively impacted his team the most in the entire league. While a few had a lower dSv%, Price faced the most shots of the truly bad goalies so his cumulative goal impact (GSAA) was league worst. Hank has been the leagues top GSAA goalie in like half his seadons in the league IIRC and the best performing playoff goalie basically every time we got out of the first round.

Honestly, I cannot imagine a player hurting their team more than Price did this past season, league worst GSAA at $10.5M cap hit. It is like if Toews or Kopitar put up a 10pt season playing every game on the top line.

For a single year at the same price, I pick current Hank over current Price without hesitation.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So if the Rangers can't get Hayes to sign a long-term contract and he settles on a 1-year deal, would the Rangers and Jets swap players? Trouba for Hayes?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Trouba is worth more than Hayes. He’s a bona fide stud RD, but he does have some injury concerns ans is seeking a big pay day. We’d have to add, maybe significantly.

This could be a slow week since the only significant arbitration hearings are Brandon Montour and Jason Zucker. Skjei’s hearing is next Tuesday, IIRC.

Reactions: Trxjw

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'd like to see how:

Shatty
Pionk
ADA

Look at the right side this year before we explore the idea of trading for a guy like Trouba. I'm a huge fan of Trouba too, but I do have concerns about his injuries and potential salary. Plus what the cost would be to acquire him.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So if the Rangers can't get Hayes to sign a long-term contract and he settles on a 1-year deal, would the Rangers and Jets swap players? Trouba for Hayes?

I think a deal could be structured around that. Can’t imagine it wouldn’t involve a D or D prospect going back.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to see how:

Shatty
Pionk
ADA

Look at the right side this year before we explore the idea of trading for a guy like Trouba. I'm a huge fan of Trouba too, but I do have concerns about his injuries and potential salary. Plus what the cost would be to acquire him.

My main problem here is that I don’t think either of Pionk and DeAngelo are potential 1RD candidates. The only guy in the organization that might be is Lundkvist and he’s 5-6 years from being at that point if ever. In 3 years, Shattenkirk is gone and we are right back to RD being a big weakness. You get Trouba in there for the next 8 years and you don’t worry anymore... aside from the injury concerns.

Reactions: kovazub94

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
My main problem here is that I don’t think either of Pionk and DeAngelo are potential 1RD candidates. The only guy in the organization that might be is Lundkvist and he’s 5-6 years from being at that point if ever. In 3 years, Shattenkirk is gone and we are right back to RD being a big weakness. You get Trouba in there for the next 8 years and you don’t worry anymore... aside from the injury concerns.

DeAngelo definitely has the potential to become a 1RD in the Letang mould. His OHL scoring was Bobby Orr tier and I'm not even exaggerating that much, I have data to back it up if you think looking at a player's PPG as a share of the team's GPG as a fair comparable - which I think it is for defencemen who are more reliant on team offence for point scoring. His AHL stats in Syracuse and Tuscon were pretty much in line with Yandle and Subban's IIRC and his NHL underlying stats were very good last year and pretty good in Arizona as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's an evaluation season for the Rangers. I think a big acquisition like Trouba would come next summer, if at all.

Except teams need to have some flexibility even if they are on a particular plan. To me this would be an example of an exception because Trouba is both young enough to fit into Gorton's rebuilt plan and they don't have a Trouba-esque player on the roster or in the prospect pipeline.

Reactions: TheTakedown

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'd like to see how:

Shatty
Pionk
ADA

Trouba is different from any of these guys.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Trouba is worth more than Hayes. He’s a bona fide stud RD, but he does have some injury concerns ans is seeking a big pay day. We’d have to add, maybe significantly.

This could be a slow week since the only significant arbitration hearings are Brandon Montour and Jason Zucker. Skjei’s hearing is next Tuesday, IIRC.
They have been rumored to be interested in Zuccarello so if we add him to the deal, then they send another piece.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
DeAngelo definitely has the potential to become a 1RD in the Letang mould. His OHL scoring was Bobby Orr tier and I'm not even exaggerating that much, I have data to back it up if you think looking at a player's PPG as a share of the team's GPG as a fair comparable - which I think it is for defencemen who are more reliant on team offence for point scoring. His AHL stats in Syracuse and Tuscon were pretty much in line with Yandle and Subban's IIRC and his NHL underlying stats were very good last year and pretty good in Arizona as well.

Maybe. To this point, he has not shown that kind of potential in the NHL. Not to say he can’t, but right now it looks unlikely. I think he’s likely to be an NHLer in the long-term, but 1RD? He would need to have a monster summer. We will see.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Maybe. To this point, he has not shown that kind of potential in the NHL. Not to say he can’t, but right now it looks unlikely. I think he’s likely to be an NHLer in the long-term, but 1RD? He would need to have a monster summer. We will see.
DeAngelo is entering his D+5 season, Roman Josi had 18 points in 48 games in his D+5 season, Giordano had 15 in 48. Defencemen are a lot more dependent on opportunity than forwards and it can take a long time until they get it. AV mostly played DeAngelo with terrible partners when he actually got to play and while his boxcars were disappointing his underlying stats were great. I think DeAngelo would shine brighter than any other Rangers D 5v5 given the opportunity to do so. E.G. Skjei-DeAngelo put up a +13.17 CF%Rel in their 61 minutes together last year. DeAngelo was great with even a mediocre guy like Holden as a partner, it was dragging around guys like O'Gara and 17-18 Brendan Smith most of the time that held him back.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Trade for Trouba or sign Karlsson. Which would you do and why?
Sign Karlsson AINEC.

Trouba will cost a lot in a trade and he and his agent are going to be the worst when it comes to negotiating a new contract. Not to mention the kid can't stay healthy. The time to trade for Trouba was before he signed that 2 year bridge deal so you could lock him up long term.

Karlsson will require no assets and simply cost more money. He is a generational defenseman and at 28, he will still be a monster on the blue line.

If we trade for Trouba I will 100% be on the fire Gorton bandwagon.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
DeAngelo is entering his D+5 season, Roman Josi had 18 points in 48 games in his D+5 season, Giordano had 15 in 48. Defencemen are a lot more dependent on opportunity than forwards and it can take a long time until they get it. AV mostly played DeAngelo with terrible partners when he actually got to play and while his boxcars were disappointing his underlying stats were great. I think DeAngelo would shine brighter than any other Rangers D 5v5 given the opportunity to do so. E.G. Skjei-DeAngelo put up a +13.17 CF%Rel in their 61 minutes together last year. DeAngelo was great with even a mediocre guy like Holden as a partner, it was dragging around guys like O'Gara and 17-18 Brendan Smith most of the time that held him back.

I don’t know as much about Giordano, but by his D+5 season, Josi was already a 2nd pairing D on his defensive abilities alone. The thing with DeAngelo is that he remains one-dimensional.

Numbers might be affected by who a player plays with, but we can judge them independently on a subjective basis and I haven’t seen it with DeAngelo yet.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sign Karlsson AINEC.

Trouba will cost a lot in a trade and he and his agent are going to be the worst when it comes to negotiating a new contract. Not to mention the kid can't stay healthy. The time to trade for Trouba was before he signed that 2 year bridge deal so you could lock him up long term.

Karlsson will require no assets and simply cost more money. He is a generational defenseman and at 28, he will still be a monster on the blue line.

If we trade for Trouba I will 100% be on the fire Gorton bandwagon.

Karlsson will be 29 at the start of his next contract. He stinks defensively. Bad feet. $90M for 7 years can be spent in better ways.

Trouba isn’t the answer either.

In other words, do nothing.

Reactions: Cag29

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Karlsson will be 29 at the start of his next contract. He stinks defensively. Bad feet. $90M for 7 years can be spent in better ways.

Trouba isn’t the answer either.

In other words, do nothing.

Who do you expect the Rangers to develop into a 1RD in time for a window we hope opens in 4 years?

Karlsson, I agree, is a risk at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad