Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part VI: Someone Get Gorton A Vesey Button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This Panarin situation is making me giddy already. He would fit in so nicely as a 1st line LW. 8.5/year, too much?

On GAS' dream scenario, I'd take Breadman and the Russian invasion, although the ladder is pretty safe compared to the other. Also there are other prospects to be had than Jack Hughes. I don't believe one second we'll pick in the top 5 next year, excluding the lottery that it. If we pick top 5, I pray it's Kakko.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Oh, I guess that tweet I posted earlier of the Brooks interview with Custance had the interview links behind their paywall.

Here's the SoundCloud link for the podcast

Brooks notes that if Panarin becomes a FA, the Rangers will definitely go all-in on him (seems obvious that most teams will go after him)

Also, just to stay on the Roster Building topic...Aaron Portzline (one of the best CBJ beat writers) was on the latest Blueshirts Breakaway for a decently long interview. Around the 46 minute mark, he notes that there is a "thing out there bouncing around the league" that Panarin wants to be a Ranger. *eyes emoji*

Probably not much behind that rumor, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Oh boy. Pro-UFA propaganda sets people off here. Incoming “they don’t know Gorts” and don’t understand the rebuild rants.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Oh, I guess that tweet I posted earlier of the Brooks interview with Custance had the interview links behind their paywall.

Here's the SoundCloud link for the podcast

Brooks notes that if Panarin becomes a FA, the Rangers will definitely go all-in on him (seems obvious that most teams will go after him)

Also, just to stay on the Roster Building topic...Aaron Portzline (one of the best CBJ beat writers) was on the latest Blueshirts Breakaway for a decently long interview. Around the 46 minute mark, he notes that there is a "thing out there bouncing around the league" that Panarin wants to be a Ranger. *eyes emoji*

Probably not much behind that rumor, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Portzline wouldn't put something out there like that unless there was something to it. He's good.

I mean if he is going to leave CBJ and they trade him to a team he doesn't want to sign with it has to lower his trade value. Whats the price of a Grade A Forward? 2 1st's plus a top prospect and another very good prospect. The only teams interested are gonna have to believe they can win it all. So CBJ can try to trade him before the season starts which will lower there return or gamble that at the deadline they can get market value. Tough spot. Only way I do a trade if we can steal him. Hayes Names Spooner Day and a 2nd.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Definitely an interesting listen from Custance and Brooks. However the thing that stands out the most for me is how little he seems to know about the plan. I got the impression that he wasn't sold that the rebuild was real, but is finally buying into it and isn't sure how to cover it. Covering this team has been easy for a long time because the headlines just kind of write themselves. So it'll be interesting to see how he covers a team where big trades and signings can't carry him through an entire season.

If the contract is right, signing Panarin as a UFA makes a lot of sense. However, if you have to make an insane offer to get him here, then the team is probably better served waiting for a different opportunity. Trading for him would be absolutely asinine.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Definitely an interesting listen from Custance and Brooks. However the thing that stands out the most for me is how little he seems to know about the plan. I got the impression that he wasn't sold that the rebuild was real, but is finally buying into it and isn't sure how to cover it. Covering this team has been easy for a long time because the headlines just kind of write themselves. So it'll be interesting to see how he covers a team where big trades and signings can't carry him through an entire season.

If the contract is right, signing Panarin as a UFA makes a lot of sense. However, if you have to make an insane offer to get him here, then the team is probably better served waiting for a different opportunity. Trading for him would be absolutely asinine.

If Brooks and Quinn get along and throw back a couple of beers together Larry will give him some slack. If Quinn gets all Irish on him...well it could be a donnybrook.:help:. Panarin is going to get close to 8 per year. Best case scenario is he plays his last year in Columbus and we sign him. But what if CBJ calls and says Hayes plus spare parts? You have to do it.

Reactions: TheTakedown

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I mean if he is going to leave CBJ and they trade him to a team he doesn't want to sign with it has to lower his trade value. Whats the price of a Grade A Forward? 2 1st's plus a top prospect and another very good prospect. The only teams interested are gonna have to believe they can win it all. So CBJ can try to trade him before the season starts which will lower there return or gamble that at the deadline they can get market value. Tough spot. Only way I do a trade if we can steal him. Hayes Names Spooner Day and a 2nd.

Portzline is saying there's smoke to the rumor that he's in interested in the Rangers when he hits free agency, not via trade. I'd be dead set against trading for him when he's going to the market in a year.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's why I don't really want to totally bottom out and finish bottom three or anything like that. I worry that those attractive UFAs, Panarin included, might be afraid that we're too far from contention and sign elsewhere, even though they had real interest in coming here.

Reactions: NYR

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If Brooks and Quinn get along and throw back a couple of beers together Larry will give him some slack. If Quinn gets all Irish on him...well it could be a donnybrook.:help:. Panarin is going to get close to 8 per year. Best case scenario is he plays his last year in Columbus and we sign him. But what if CBJ calls and says Hayes plus spare parts? You have to do it.

Shattenkirk situation all over again. He wanted to come here. We knew this. Shatty got traded to the Caps then signed with us a few months later.

I’m sure Columbus knows where Panarin wants to play. And I’m sure they’ll reach out to us to see if a trade can be worked out.

Gorton didn’t bend with Shatty. I don’t think he’ll do so with Panarin either. He’s been hell bent on maximizing assets.

Trade Hayes for a 1st +. Sign Panarin if he hits free agency.

Reactions: jas

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's why I don't really want to totally bottom out and finish bottom three or anything like that. I worry that those attractive UFAs, Panarin included, might be afraid that we're too far from contention and sign elsewhere, even though they had real interest in coming here.

Don't think it matters that much if you can pitch a well thought out plan that shows him how you intend on getting things turned around really quick.

Of course, if my dream scenario happens we'll already have Jack Hughes in the fold, that would make things a lot simpler.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wouldn’t the flip side be that we just added a top talent (Hughes, Turcotte, Newhook) and they’d be an exciting young player to play with over rhe duration of his contract?

Reactions: jas

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
We don't even have a legit 1st or 4th line center but we're signing Panarin.
I see..
:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad