GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Please tell me how a GM can just make it happen?

Lebrun said he took less money... So it's not a money issue

Did he have to sell him on the city and the franchise? Don't think either of those are secrets...

Maybe Williams chose the option he felt was right for him and his family?

A gm can't force a player by gun point. So don't make such asinine blanket statements about 'gettin r done'.

You go meet him in person, tell him all the ****** lies you need to : DD will NOT be your centerman; MT will not be your coach for too long; price-subban-pacioretty is a better trio than ovechkin-backstrom-kuznetsov, etc.

Then you give him more money.

Then you kidnap his kids and tell him if he loves 'em he sign the ****ing paper in front of him.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
if there is a delay with Bergevin's press conference at 11, then he still has something going on. Could be a Galchenyuk signing or something else, but let's hope his press conference is delayed.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I think it's a reality though. If you're good and have a good success rate you can fail many times but you'll eventually win.

In the case of bergevin, we're looking for that UFA win but he's had 2 off-seasons and this will be his 3rd which just started.

Four off seasons. The lockout shortened counts no matter how you spin it

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
At least 2 of Kunitz, Perron, and Hormqvist will be moved, given the Penguins' cap issues.

I'd stay far away from Sharp: 6.8 million dollar cap hit for two years of very limited production, plus he'll cost us draft picks and/or prospects.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
At least 2 of Kunitz, Perron, and Hormqvist will be moved, given the Penguins' cap issues.

I'd stay far away from Sharp: 6.8 million dollar cap hit for two years of very limited production, plus he'll cost us draft picks and/or prospects.

No chance they trade hornquist

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He's actually been a GM for 3 years(started may 2012) and his first season had a roster freeze due to lock out so he didn't have an off-season in 2012.

He had off-seasons in 2013 and 2014.

2015 off-season has practically just started.

yes

Dude he tried on two top UFAs give him until October.

and yes.

admittedly i'm being a bit harsh. No bad moves today at all, quite the opposite, all of the look to be low-risk/high reward. Not unlike the vast majority of his moves (especially if we remove the MT factor, which has enhanced some of the risk by virtue of poorly deploying the players MB brought in) thus far...

but in taking over 4 off-seasons ago, you'd have hoped he had a plan to address the holes in the roster he inherited, which were actually quite small. his continuous tinkering hasn't improved the talent present in our key areas (top-4/top-6), that reality = fast-diminishing benifit of the doubt.

Opening day 2015, if we're still testing out projects in our top-6, with DD being one of the anchors, then can we agree that he is not doing a good enough job?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Lebrun:

Montreal was among the teams also in the mix near the end of the day on Justin Williams... Habs can be patient, other guys out there

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

You want to shy away from Sharp whos a playoff performer and a true winner.

And you speak about Kunitz who cant do **** with Crosby; Perron who I would not pick up for free on the waiver and Hornqvist?

Okay. Honrqvist is not that bad, but I would pick up Sharp 100x before Hornqvist.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

5.9 million cap hit and he's better than Perron and Kunitz, Hornqvist won't get traded.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
YES!!! So so happy that POS Justin Williams won't be a Hab. I wouldn't have been able to stomach watching that skunk as a Hab. Thank you Washington.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

perron is a no-brainer if the asking price isn't insane...

proven talent level we need, easy cap-hit to fit in, playing in a contract year, local/franco roots.

wanted us to pick him up from the oilers b4 the pens did. still think he's a good fit now.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
I think it's a reality though. If you're good and have a good success rate you can fail many times but you'll eventually win.

In the case of bergevin, we're looking for that UFA win but he's had 2 off-seasons and this will be his 3rd which just started.
There are multiple reasons players wouldn't sign here;

1- the pressure
2- the media
3- seen as a French first city by outsiders
4- ginormous taxes
5- the coach

I'd also take the chance of playing with backstrom, ovechkin - over patches and subban.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
yes

and yes.

admittedly i'm being a bit harsh. No bad moves today at all, quite the opposite, all of the look to be low-risk/high reward. Not unlike the vast majority of his moves (especially if we remove the MT factor, which has enhanced some of the risk by virtue of poorly deploying the players MB brought in) thus far...

but in taking over 4 off-seasons ago, you'd have hoped he had a plan to address the holes in the roster he inherited, which were actually quite small. his continuous tinkering hasn't improved the talent present in our key areas (top-4/top-6), that reality = fast-diminishing benifit of the doubt.

Opening day 2015, if we're still testing out projects in our top-6, with DD being one of the anchors, then can we agree that he is not doing a good enough job?

100 % I will be totally onboard if DD is still our #1 C and weise on the top line. We have every right to be mad then.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
It's actually obvious that Bergevin is trying to trade - and get decent value for players - instead of signing underwhelming players that just hit free agency. Even if it's not the most popular thing to do - you know, being patient and waiting for a trading partner - it's definitely the smarter way. He said multiple times that he won't screw this franchise by trading everyone and signing stupid contracts.

Some people may not like his philosophy - well, those people aren't running this franchise anyway - but it's the way to go IMO.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
yes

and yes.

DD is an adequate 2nd line C for regular season but his playoffs suck.

As for the rest, I agree it's frustrating. Things would be 100X easier of Vanek signed here or whatever. We need a true top 6 forward and not a hopeful but we're tinkering away still. Hopefully there's more to come.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Depends... Did you praise Gainey a lot when he was our GM?

Bob spent most of his time as "2nd best" for all the big name on the UFAs market when he was our GM.

Yeah ... Bob failed to acquire Briere that year ... and Ryan Smythe I think ... he sucks.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Lebrun:

Montreal was among the teams also in the mix near the end of the day on Justin Williams... Habs can be patient, other guys out there

All you need is a little patience....Axl Rose voice

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Please tell me how a GM can just make it happen?

Lebrun said he took less money... So it's not a money issue

Did he have to sell him on the city and the franchise? Don't think either of those are secrets...

Maybe Williams chose the option he felt was right for him and his family?

A gm can't force a player by gun point. So don't make such asinine blanket statements about 'gettin r done'.

Doesn't stop you from making blanket statements as to why he wouldn't pick us without knowing the facts either. Why is it worst from me than from you? End-result? They are not here.

Bergevin GOT it done with Petry. Why should he be praised for getting it done....and not be praised for NOT getting it done? That's how you judge a GM work? Congratulate him for his great moves and excuse him for his others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad